PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Help with new kits

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Brittyboo

Help with new kits

Postby Brittyboo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:20 pm

Questions for those experienced with kits please-

I'm expecting my first litter of kits any day now. I do not intend to pull them any earlier than 10 days old but I always like to be prepared for worst case scenario (especially since this will also be her very first litter). At the end of last week I tried to place an order with the fox valley nutrition for the milk replacement. I also tried again this morning. I'm not getting an email conformation or no one has been in contact about my order. I'm starting to get a bit panicky.

First question-oname that site it's kind of unclear about the milk replacement. Is that the replacer I feed from day 10 until weaned? It kind of made it seem like that milk replacement is for the first couple days of life.

Second question- if something happens and the kits need to be pulled after birth what else can I feed them? ! Is there another site or someone I can contact to get fox milk replacer asap or puppy or kitten or something! ?
Any advice would be very appreciated.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with new kits

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:36 pm

You should try calling them. There's only one fox formula http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/produ ... -one-3532/

Zoos sometimes use a mix of KMR and esbilac they need the taurine from KMR but are more dog like in other regards. But the Fox formula is best. Try calling them.
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks mary! Just left a voice-mail, hopefully I get a call back!
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Wahoo being shipped today and should be here on Thursday. Hopefully mama can keep the babies cooking until then and if she does have them lets just keep our fingers crossed that instinct will easily kick in for her. I don't doubt her, it just worries me a tad bc I have a pretty strong Bond with them and she actually seems to WANT me around. I fully expected her to get more stressed with me around and it seems to be the opposite.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:26 pm

That's good if she wants you around snce that shows she's not getting nervous.

In most species they get colostrum for the first day or two so you really don't want to pull day one unless you have to. They have a much better chance of making it if they can at least get that colostrum. So at the very least hope she can take care of them that long. If she's one of the rarer super tame ones even if she fails to care for them maybe she'd let you bring one at a time to her to nurse? Pet her belly, stealthily stick kit on nipple, ha.
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:06 pm

Haha! Yes, colostrum is very important with any animal. My male is a mama's boy, he's truly like a cat/dog. Always rubbing on me, climbing on me, rolling around wanting to be pet, laying on me, I've had him since he was 10 days old..you get the picture. My girl was much more skiddish but has bonded immensely these last couple months. She does like to be the one who initiates the contact between us but when I'm in the pen with them she seems so content and relaxed to just be laying by me. She actually gets a bit antsy when I leave and when I walk outside or they see me at my back door they get very excited. They welcome me into their territory with spinning tails, heavy panting, and lots of love. Being accepted and having such a bond with an 'exotic' gives you a feeling like no other.
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:56 am

Just wanted to give you an update since you have been such a help to me. 530 this morning we welcomed the first baby and number 4 has just made their appearance. The mama has been doing fabulous and has been so amazing about sharing this beautiful experience with me! My focus is on her so I am not touching her babies but her allowing me to be here is great! Wish I knew how to upload a pic. They are beautiful.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:49 pm

That's awesome, glad it's all going smoothly.

The absolutely easiest way to show pics is upload to http://imgur.com/ and copy the link to here or maybe a bit safer but a wee bit more effort is make an account somewhere like photobucket or flickr upload there then copy the link or bb code for embedding. You have to be sure they are a small size to upload directly here to help keep costs down.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Congratulations. :) It sounds like she is going to be a great mother to those babies. When you get the pictures up, I'll be first to see them, lol. Little kits are so cute. I like looking at the baby animals and imagining them all grown up as beautiful adults.

Keep in touch with us! We want to hear all the details about it. :)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:53 pm

http://i.imgur.com/FM3m5k0.jpg
I tried the first way suggested, hopefully that will take you to the picture. She had 6! And such a great mommy, and such a good fox.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:52 pm

That works. nice mix of colors.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:16 pm

They're beautiful...
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:32 am

So I came to check kits this morning and all are still good...except one. He wasn't as noisy as the others and very lethargic acting so I did pick him up and he's very cold compared to the others. Are the babies okay to be cold? I know they say outdoors is okay and mom will take care of it but I just worry.I've had so many animals and have fostered so many that my biggest fear is finding 'a cold one' . I might just worry too much. If you think my worrying is bad with animals. .. you should see how I am with my poor kids haha. Dang anxiety.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:48 pm

No this sounds like mom rejected him. Some will try to put a cold kit back with the mother but he usually winds up cold again and dead. Now there is often a reason she rejected him so you can let nature take it's course or you can take him warm him and try feeding him but the odds are still bad just a bit better than left with mom at this point. If you don't have milk yet that's okay a little warmed pedyalite is better to start anyway. Along with cold he is probably dehydrated.
Last edited by TamanduaGirl on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:58 pm

{quote}
Diet for ~0-2 weeks:
Never start an animal on formula without fully hydrating it first. Always make sure to give the neonate at least four rounds of fluids before offering formula. You want to slowly introduce formula to a newly-admitted animal. Amount of formula is based on the animal’s
body weight.
The Wildlife Center of Silicon Valley uses Fox Valley formula. For their first day on formula you want to start them on a 3:1 ratio (three parts water to one part formula). Keep the animal on 3:1 for 24-48 hours. This will reduce the risk of shocking the neonate’s system. Once the neonate is processing the 3:1 ratio you can upgrade to 2:1 (two parts water to one part formula)—this will be the strongest ratio you can give to them.
If for some reason the neonate is NOT processing the formula, you want to go back to the 3:1 ratio or go back to hydrating. Main signs of the neonate not processing formula are distended abdomen and no fecal output. In some cases there can be an underlying issue [/quote}

Also good to fee with him laying flat on his belly if possible since that's how he would be feeding from mom. Natural positions help reduce the chance of inhalation of the fluid or milk.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”