PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Help with new kits

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with new kits

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Also good info on this page have to scroll down to cub section
http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/fox.html
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:23 pm

Wanted to add that Ragtatter's Gizmo was rejected by the mother for some reason. Gizmo seems to be healthy and full of life. I personally wouldn't give up on it, but that's me. I think animal mommies reject their babies for seemingly no reason too, not just because there is a problem with them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:54 pm

My instinct when it comes to the babies when I'm in doubt is to pretty much treat them just like any other baby. I paid close attention to getting him warmed back up and made sure to get the others warmed up also. I tried to avoid touching them and I don't go in there as much as I used to before she had the babies so she can be left alone but if I suspect the babies are cold, I can't let nature take its course. They were all cold but he was very cold. I don't think she did it intentionally bc she is caring for him and all the others just fine now. I covered them all up with a fleece blanket, she was even shivering and stopped when I got them all warmed up and she took him back no problem.

She had the babies on wood, surrounded by straw but she moved it all away and decided to make her 'den' on wood. I would think that that is a difficult spot to keep warm. Luckily it has warmed up out there but it will be cold again tonight :/

All the animals I have ever had- I have read just about everything the Internet has to offer. The Internet has minimal on foxes and it drove me crazy. So now that I found a forum that real people talk about foxes, I'm probably going to drive you guys crazy with all my questions haha.
And the milk replacer has just arrived! Yay! I'm prepared for day 10!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:04 pm

That's great she took him back and they are doing well so far.

Hay is better than straw since it is softer, she may have thought it was too pokey for them, but some old rags/towels/blankets would help too.

You could make a heating pad with rice and put that in with them.
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:44 pm

I honestly didn't even realize that there is a difference between hay and straw haha. Shows how much I have paid attention when using it. My neighbor gets it for our chickens and just picks me up some when he gets his. I'm so glad you shared that information on feeding! I had absolutely no idea about the rehydration! Feeding kittens and puppies I have usually just felt their bellies and I'm pretty comfortable in my judgement when it comes to them but doing things according to weight seems important with kits so I shall be going out to search for a scale today.

Ash-I absolutely agree. There's no such thing as giving up on an animal to me.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:58 pm

You shouldn't have to worry about the rehydration part if you pull them at 10 days and all is well. That info is more for orphans but it would have applied if you pulled one for health reasons like the cold one. In fact I've seen breeders say they wait several hours before the first time trying to feed to be sure the kits will be hungry and more likely to take to a nipple rather than fight it and they take to it quicker that way.
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:01 pm

I spoke too soon. I just pulled him. Cold again, lethargic, wouldnt take to her nipple when I just tried and very clearly the runt. Not looking good but I'll try
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:06 pm

Aw good luck. Get him warmed up and hydrated and maybe he'll surprise you and come around.
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:14 pm

I hope so, what a bummer.
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 pm

We lost him :( so sad. Mama seems extremely stressed bc I took a baby from her
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm sorry. I'd probably say let her see the kit so she'd know what happened to it but at this point she might not understand it wasn't your fault. Just keep an eye she still cares for the ones she still has.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:39 am

I'm so sorry. :( That's really too bad... Sometimes things just happen for reasons we don't understand. Hopefully Momma will take good care of the rest.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:23 am

It really did stink, my daughter was just devastated. Two of the 5 left are much smaller than the others. So naturally come feeding time the 3 larger ones hog up the nips and bully the runts. I'm going to get a scale asap since the mama will allow me to weigh them but if they don't gain how long should I let this go on for before stepping in? I tried to snap a pic to capture the difference. Opinions? She isn't rejecting the smaller ones. http://i.imgur.com/QfoawsW.jpg
Brittyboo

Postby Brittyboo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Just went and grabbed a scale so I can give a more accurate difference, the 3 larger ones are 132g-133g-117g. The two smaller ones are 100g and 81g. I just want to be sure that I'm not just leaving the smaller kits out there to die. I want all of them healthy and want to do what's best for them.

You guys have been so awesome, I really can't thank you enough for all the advice and help.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:14 pm

The smallest seems too small and sounds like it may not have grown much if at all. If she is letting you handle them maybe you could try and supplemental feed the two small ones so they get boob and bottle? OR just take them to be safe so you can keep them warm and fed and then the ones left will have more milk from mom the share.

Using the chart from the link that's 400g every 2 weeks they gain at first so should be gaining roughly 28g a day but that's not going to be exact could be more some days than others. Birth weight is 80-120 grams. It kinda looks like she just doesn't have enough milk for them all even the big ones might not be growing as fast as they should but we can't say for sure since we don't know their real birth weights.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”