PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

problems with colors

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

naja-naja

problems with colors

Postby naja-naja » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:17 am

i saw on another thread that certain red fox colors are prone to certain issues, rather then clog up that thread I've made a new one. what colors are affected by which ailments? thank you.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: problems with colors

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:27 pm

Red foxes

Sapphire foxes are prone to bleeding issues.

The white face family is lethal in its homozygous form. (Homozygous is okay in marble foxes.)

Will have to grab my book for the rest. Arctics have some problems too.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:06 pm

I've been studying lethal genes and other color related health problems in a variety of species, including foxes, so I hope I can help some.

White arctic foxes (those that don't change in the summer) are connected to a lethal gene in homozygous form.
Albino foxes of any kind can have issues with their eyes and possibly their immune system (seen in other species)
Georgian White, Platinum/white-mark, and White Face are also lethal genes in there homozygous form.
Mansfield Pearl possibly has Lower coagulation?

The white color in animals is related to tamer behavior because lack of melanin in the brain can make an animal calmer. However, too much white can also be related to lethal genes, deafness, blindness, and skull deformities, which is possibly why white arctic foxes and the white face genes are lethal, because in homozygous form the animals are "Lethal Whites" something also found in hamsters, rats, mice, guinea pigs, horses, dogs and other species.

The platinum gene is similar to that found in collie dogs. Collie dogs are said to be more prone to Ivermectin poisoning because of the white markings, making their brain wall thinner and more prone to toxins. This shows that white markings on the head, particularly on the skull area, can lead to issues with neurology (though not always, it depends on the genes behind the white markings).

Also, any fox color that is inbred or not selected for health but only for their fur or tameness can have issues with weak babies and runts, infertility, cancer, and multiple other deformities, so if you get a fox make sure that the parents are healthy and unrelated.

I hope this helps explain some things. : )
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:42 pm

Ok, I knew many of the incomplete dominant traits had lethal homozygous form. I had thought there were other problems present perhaps in the heterozygous form or in some of the recessive traits. i suppose my real question would be of any of the colors available, are there any health issues pet owners should be aware of that are inherently riskier when selecting a particular color form. (such as the deafness, blindness, mentioned above, or digestive or neuro issues)
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:34 pm

For reds, other than the bleeding issues, I don't know of anything else like you mentioned. The common colors we typically see are healthy mutations that don't have risks associated with them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Ok that's all good to know :)
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”