PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

diameter wire?

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

naja-naja

diameter wire?

Postby naja-naja » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:59 pm

what diameter wire is needed to house foxes? I've found a wire advertised as fox safe (for keeping them out as opposed to in) and it's 12g, i noticed ash's cage is made of 6g horse panels, is 12g enough?
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: diameter wire?

Postby pat » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:49 am

sorry, I can't relate to the actual strength of fence.

My enclosure is constructed from a 10x10 dog kennel. I attached it to my house where it made a 10x20.
I had it for 12 years and is still holding up great. I have heavy chainlink on the bottom, then put dirt and straw over it.
my foxes have a slanted room with corragated panels. some panels are clear, some are beige. this lets some sun in for them,
but keeps the pen dry when it rains or snows.

Also, I have chicken wire wrapped around the outside, this is to ensure the foxes can't find any gaps to escape, or anything getting in their pen.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 am

I see chainlink available as well, but I'm leaning towards welded with a 50mm (2'') square gap, i think these are better quality and they last longer and just in my own opinion they look neater (plus if there is a break it's not a problem, whereas if there's a break in chainlink it can be unraveled)

i'm also seeing dog kennel panels that have solid bars with a 5cm (2'') or 8cm (3'') gap, anyone use these or is it all wire/mesh that you guys have on the enclosures.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:57 am

I never had a problem with any of the fencing from the panels. I have another 10x10 for a cat that comes and goes.
that one has been up for about 16 years. never had any problems.

whatever you decide, I understand about the security. (best to be safe than sorry)

give the other members some time, I am sure others will offer suggestions.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:07 am

They could potentially slip 3" gap anything smaller is fine though.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:39 am

I use 14 gauge galvanized wire fencing with 2" x 4" spacing for the sides on all of my adult red fox enclosures.

I used the Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Farmed Fox (http://www.nfacc.ca/pdfs/codes/Farmed_Fox_Code.pdf) that's put out by the Fur Institute of Canada to determine what gauge wire to use when I started building the enclosures; the code states that 16 gauge wire is the minimum diameter to be used on the sides of red fox enclosures.

Please keep in mind that the enclosure sizes that are recommended in the code are much too small for a pet red fox.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:39 pm

14 gauge was strong enough for mine when they were kept in chainlink enclosures. It was just the way the cage was constructed that made it bad to use--not properly secured.

Doing 6 gauge wire like I did on my enclosure is overboard for foxes. But I wanted my enclosure to be interchangeable with different species. And I loved the look of the horse panels.

An adult red or arctic can't squeeze through a 2''x4'' hole. But a baby can. When I introduced Fable and Ifrit for the first time, it was with chainlink between them. But Ifrit lunged at Fable and wiggle right through the open diamond hole, lol. Freaked Fable out so bad.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”