PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Minimum specs for an enclosure

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

Minimum specs for an enclosure

Postby Aeroz » Wed May 04, 2016 10:30 am

Now that the weather is warmed up I wanted to build my enclosure for her but space and money are limited. So I wanted to make sure I could make one large enough for her. Whats the bare minimum size for one? I of course plan to shop around to try and make it as large as possible but I want a starting point to get an idea of what it will require.

I should also note the plan is to have her spend her time partially outside. Likely with her spending the night inside so we dont risk the neighbors being bothered by any nocturnal sounds.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Minimum specs for an enclosure

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 04, 2016 12:51 pm

About 10x10 for a fox
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 05, 2016 8:18 pm

10x10x6'

You want to make sure the height is at least 6 feet tall. They do really like to be up high.

I'm glad you're taking the steps to get an enclosure. :) She will certainly love it.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Tue May 10, 2016 1:03 am

I realized something when I started working on the actual design. How exactly am I going to get her in and out? This is just to leave her out for abit so she can do her fox thing. Still bringing her in frequently. But I cant risk her running out so I need a way for me to easily get in and out but not her
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 10, 2016 2:18 am

Double door entry.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 10, 2016 3:45 am

I have a double door entry, just in case one of mine slips through. I call it a "catch cage." My catch cage isn't made out of the same type of material as the enclosure--just some old chain link put up around the door. It's been really nice and my inspectors have liked it since it is seen as another safeguard.

If you don't do a catch cage, another thing you can do though is make sure the door to the enclosure is in a corner. Make it so it opens inward (not outward) so you can slip in and out and it makes it so the fox can't dart past you. That's how my friend's enclosures are, but then again, she has a fully-fenced-in facility.

Oh, something else my friend does. You also can train them to go to the side of the enclosure instead of standing by the door when you arrive. She gives her foxes the command "side" before she enters the enclosure, and they move away from the door and wait for her to come in. After seeing hers do it so well, I taught mine to do the same. They're no where near as good at it, but I haven't been consistent. So some training can really help keep things secure.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue May 10, 2016 5:01 am

when I go in my foxes enclosure, my oldest one is always at the door, I tell him to "get back" kind of in a little loud tone.
he does. to transport your fox into the house or back to the enclosure you can use a carrier. thats what I did long time ago with my first fox.

now, I have a doggie door to the enclosure that comes in the house, so it is much easier to let them in the house with me.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Tue May 10, 2016 2:11 pm

I'd love to have it connect to the house butt thats not really an option. We live on a hill and only have about four or five feet out the back door before you hit the edge of the retaining wall and a 5ft drop. I suppose I could do a multi-layered enclosure but that ramps up the cost alot.

I was thinking a double door might be best. My biggest concern is that these all require me to put her in a cage regularly and she hates her cage. Its hard to even bait her into it with treats. She's smart enough to take her time and figure out ways to get the treat without going inside so it gets progressively harder.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 11, 2016 12:47 am

Do you have a fence around your yard? I think I remember you mentioning it when talking about your dog once. A fence can be helpful--even if it isn't the most secure one in the world, it is still a "safety net" just in case she did dart out when you were opening the door.

When I move my foxes, I will usually leash them or pick them up. If you hold by the scruff tightly, they can't get away even if they're being squirmy (that's what I do when I have to move Ifrit). My foxes would hate carriers, but I use a wire cage for them. I think it doesn't stress them out as much because they can see everything going on and don't feel as confined.
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Wed May 11, 2016 11:10 am

The fence was partly taken down. The neighbor did so that way they could call the cops whenever our dog was not on the runner. As I mentioned before one of the reasons we didn't already make a pen was because they actively look for reasons to report us. We are of course always legal but it is problematic and shows they'd pounce on any excuse they could to have any of our animals taken away.

Now I was considering some design ideas and because this will affect cost alot I wanted opinions on this. I wanted her to have actual grass and dirt so I didn't want to just floor it all, but I also dont want her digging out. My idea was to dig a trench about 6 inches deep and 5 inches wide. Fill it with a few inches of cement with the fence in the cement on the outer edge. My hope is when she digs down she'll run into the cement layer and keep trying to dig at the edge without realizing the cement layer doesn't run under the whole thing. If she does I'd notice before she could dig out
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 11, 2016 1:24 pm

If your neighbor is really that bad he could call the cops any time your fox and cage gets muddy and say it's being neglected.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 11, 2016 2:10 pm

She will realize quickly that the cement layer does not run under the whole thing. My two realized they could dig anywhere except for the edge. They started digging deep holes, and I had to keep filling them in with rocks. I had to put down chain link. If you could put chain link, panels, or cinderblocks on the bottom, that would be best.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed May 11, 2016 2:54 pm

You could put down a chain link panel or cement and then soil and plant grass. You'd need to wait until the grass was established to put a fox in so wouldn't be suitable for your needs. Any easy way to offer grassy areas would be to use raised beds. You can put a simple one in or get fancy and terrace it for multiple levels. A simple one can be done cheap or free.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Aeroz

Postby Aeroz » Wed May 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Chain link underground might be a better solution. Or atleast cheaper
TamanduaGirl wrote:If your neighbor is really that bad he could call the cops any time your fox and cage gets muddy and say it's being neglected.

This is why I was worried about putting her in a pen at all but I dont see what choice I have. I cant keep her inside all day
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 11, 2016 3:54 pm

Maybe you could give her a and box to dig in instead and/or a covered area for grass so it wont get rained on rather than the whole area, to keep the possibility of mud lower.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”