PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Wild caught fox kit

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

17degus

Wild caught fox kit

Postby 17degus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Hey guys. A while ago my mothers friend and her husband caught a young fox kit, and now it seems they have decided to keep him. They named him ralf. Anyway I am very concerned because it is illegal to keep wild caught foxes, and I don't know if they are taking care of him well enough! Last I saw he was being kept in a small dog cage. I am 14 so there is not much I can do. Any advice?
'Maybe life on earth could be heaven,
Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?" - Bo Burnham
17degus

Re: Wild caught fox kit

Postby 17degus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:29 pm

I have repeatedly advised them to give him to a sanctuary but they have obviously ignored me
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:04 pm

Not allowed to catch them from the wild but what I heard from others in the UK is it's okay to rescue one. So like if they took it to a vet and had it documented that they found it orphaned and in need of care they could then get away with it, but that's just what I've heard from others.
17degus

Postby 17degus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:13 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Not allowed to catch them from the wild but what I heard from others in the UK is it's okay to rescue one. So like if they took it to a vet and had it documented that they found it orphaned and in need of care they could then get away with it, but that's just what I've heard from others.

It is not legal at all, but I am more concerned for the foxes well being
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:49 pm

17degus wrote:
TamanduaGirl wrote:Not allowed to catch them from the wild but what I heard from others in the UK is it's okay to rescue one. So like if they took it to a vet and had it documented that they found it orphaned and in need of care they could then get away with it, but that's just what I've heard from others.

It is not legal at all, but I am more concerned for the foxes well being

That's really bad, hopefully you can find a sanctuary or wildlife rehabilitator for him. If your parents aren't taking care of him right, maybe you can print out some care sheets to educate them? :shrug:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:52 pm

keeping a fox or any animal is only asking for problems. they will be more apt to show aggression.
the outcome for this poor fox is not good.

do you think a zoo would take it? guess the problem now is convincing the people that have this poor fox. icon-sad
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:26 pm

You could maybe try calling animal control on them yourself, but then the fox might get killed. :( Or even if it is given to a zoo/sanctuary, your family might get mad at you. Or try calling a wildlife sanctuary or rehabilitator and let them know that your family has the fox. That way, atleast the fox won't get killed, but your family still might be mad at you though.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:45 am

My guess is they will likely find out this fox is not an easy animal to keep and will rehome it. As for the legalities, I wouldn't mention anything to authorities about it since the fox would likely be euthanized. There's so many foxes in the UK and definitely not enough qualified owners.

Once it starts stinking, they're going to have to build an enclosure for it, and that might be the best time to remind them again since they may not want to build an enclosure.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”