PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Confused about Fox Smell

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Womabt

Confused about Fox Smell

Postby Womabt » Fri May 12, 2017 4:34 pm

My wife was researching foxes and said "artic foxes don't smell" well she meant as bad..... I hop on this site and do some reading and I hear the exact opposite...... So my question is, IF I wanted to get a fox as a pet for her is there a species that smells less? Not worried so much about the waste as that can be taken care of I mean the fox body itself. Thank you for helping me.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Confused about Fox Smell

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 12, 2017 4:41 pm

It is actually the pee that is the source of most of the smell and even with tons of cleaning your place will smell of it if you keep an red or arctic inside.

Gray fox and fennecs are the least smelly. My fennec's pee just smells like dog pee to me. No body odor.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:38 pm

If it's the urine, does this change with castration? Or is that not recommended?
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 pm

No they have a lot of glands that contribute to the smell that you can't remove. Fixing them changes it little to none and has minimal effect on their marking and such as well.

Some claim fixing them makes them less aggressive but some say it doesn't reports vary.

In fennecs fixing after adulthood did calm down males some but had no effect on aggressive females. In red I've heard a number of different things but over all it seems not necessary.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:45 am

I'm curious about how bad it smells... I hear people say skunky. Is it just a strong odor, like a dirty cat litter box but stronger? Is it musky like a ferret? It can't be as horrid as people describe or else nobody would own one... I bought a bottle of fox urine a long one ago and it smelled pretty bad, but I sprayed it airborne and pretty close to my face, plus it smelled more like rotting/fermenting urine and not what it would smell like realistically.
I'm fine with smells so long as they aren't some overpowering stench that gags you... Though I've never gagged on a smell, it's just something I'm paranoid of. I've never smelled an animal that bothered me either, and I heard coatimundi smell pretty bad (but I like the smell of Vega) so I'm curious.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:41 pm

More like a ferret but really strong, I've not smelled ferrets but had a couple people with ferrets say my anteaters were similar, but they just smelled them from a distance. Anteaters smell close to red foxes. I have a friend with both tamanduas and foxes and she said her red foxes smell many times worse. That's hard to believe as Tamanduas have a very strong skunky smell, a lot of people say they smell like pot, lol, so maybe that will help, if you've smelled that. On the other hand I know of people having lots of trouble with neighbors due to their foxes smell. So makes sense, though you can smell my girls as you come up to the house so maybe would be more problems if they were outside. I'm sure people think we're pot heads. A visiting family member even pulled me aside to ask about the pot smell coming from my room lol. Some on the fox group said they have also had people think the fox smell was pot. So while I don't have a red anteaters smell similar, and they smell like strong pot, lol.

Though when we first got Pua and she was stressed and ill it VERY much smelled like we were driving home with a dead skunk in the car! I would assume foxes can get more smelly as well when stressed or ill but maybe not to the same extent.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:24 pm

The normal fox odor isn't bad. But it's the smell of their waste and the urine that gets in their fur. So lots of times they smell a lot like their urine, which is a really bad smell. Just this past week I've had three different people visit my foxes and they commented about how a skunk must live nearby. I only have three, and we live on 4.1 acres, but even the neighbors can smell them sometimes, I guess. I didn't realize they smelled THAT strongly. Maybe I've just gotten used to it.

But most people think it's a skunk when they come by.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Lara

Postby Lara » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:40 pm

It can get bad if you don't have a ton of land, but I never really minded it. I think diet is also a big deal. If they are fed good food and healthy, they just have a skunky odor (but a little muskier and less sharp). If they are fed cheap food or dog food, it's awful. It just doesn't smell natural if they aren't fed well.

One time, a guy told me he thought my dog had been sprayed by a skunk xD
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Lara wrote:One time, a guy told me he thought my dog had been sprayed by a skunk xD

I get that too when at the vet. IF they haven't seen in the crate first they look at it and go "aw did somebody get sprayed by a skunk" Nope, it's an anteater they always smell like that, lol.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”