PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Enclosures

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aluna

Enclosures

Postby Aluna » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:00 am

We have a two month old red fox that we are getting ready to build an enclosure for her. I was just wondering if she is still to young to be outside in an enclosure or is she fine at that age. She would be in it during the day when we are at work. I don't want to put her in an enclosure before she is old enough and she loses her bond with us.
Wiggles

Re: Enclosures

Postby Wiggles » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:23 pm

She's not too young to be outside yet; foxes of her age live outside full time after all.

Just be sure to spend as much time with her as you can when you're home, and she should stay bonded to you. In my experience, red foxes tend to behave better once they're outside in their own enclosure where they can do as they please.

Have you given any thought on an enclosure design? I'd recommend using welded wire fencing that's 12 gauge or thicker on a wood frame made from 2" x 4"s with 4" x 4" posts on the corners; be sure to use a solid roof (I used metal roofing panels) & either a concrete base or bury wire under the whole bottom. I would go with at least a 10' x 10' x 6' (LxWxH) enclosure, but a larger one is better if you have the room. Be sure to add lots of shelves, a nest box, & a place for her to get out of the weather if she wants to do so.
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:35 pm

We are renting right now and they said we can make an enclosure so for now I know we want to at least make a 10X10X6 enclosure like you suggested just to start with. When we buy our own house (hopefully next year) we will make it bigger and better for her. I have seen pictures of people's enclosures and kind of going off of that. But I needed ideas for the roof and metal roofing panels sounds like a good idea thanks!! Just can't wait to get it finished so she can enjoy the outdoors more!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:07 pm

2 months old is 8 weeks. That seems young. Ideally they should have their vaccines first and depending on fencing she may be young enough to squeeze out.
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:52 am

Yeah I wasn't sure at what age would be ok so I figured I should ask. We are planning on getting fencing that she can't squeeze through. We got her from tiny tracks and they said to wait until she's at least four months to go to the vet again. Should I take her sooner? Thanks for the comment!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:32 pm

It's good to let them settle for a week or two but can start getting some of the vaccines as early as 8 weeks so no reason to wait so long to go. The rabies they wait till at least 16 weeks but most wait till 5-6 months then give it.
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks for the info!! I wasn't sure if she needed to wait that long to go to the vet again or not. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!! This is our first time owning a fox and we want to make sure she is happy and healthy!!

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”