NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

Blue Fox?

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Peacefulward

Blue Fox?

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:48 am

http://exoticanimalsforsale.net/sale/36 ... -artic.asp

I'm absolutely smitten with this fox, he's so pretty. They say he's a blue fox, is this an actual color?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Vata Raven

Re: Blue Fox?

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:35 pm

According to the Beautiful Fur Animals and their colour genetics books, arctic foxes do have blue color phase. This phase does occur in the wild.

However, from the picture you referenced, I can not tell if the fox has a red or Arctic build.

If it is a red type, the book does not picture anything similar to your reference.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:48 pm

They said "His parents were artic marble foxes"

Can't tell if he means they were arctic marbles (red foxes) or something else.

Looks like a red fox to me, or maybe a hybrid? Has socks and a white tail tip which I haven't seen in arctics.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 pm

That's a silver, like a pearl silver or something though.

Blue arctics are the ones that stay kind of gray all year, though they still change some from like dark to light gray.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:13 pm

The book does have a Inter Specific Hybrids Vulpes x Alopex section. Let me take a take a look for you.

(flips through the section)

The very first image for the Hybrids without the polar gene (blue fox types) section, the blue frost fox looks like the fox you referenced.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Hybrids are extremely rare since only Dave does it and he only does it if enough people are interested in a season, so only once so far.

Also the ad says parent are both marble foxes.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Okay apparently there is a silver called "Iris Blue" still looks more like a pearl silver to me though.

They probably just don't know the morph names in the dog world and some other domestics light gray is called blue.
---
Mary

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:37 pm

If both his parents were arctic marble foxes, then that would make his coloring silver. 1/4 offspring would be silver, 1/2 offspring would be arctic marble, and 1/4 would be whites.

Maybe it's the lighting, but he looks more pearl-colored than silver to me though.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Ash wrote:If both his parents were arctic marble foxes, then that would make his coloring silver. 1/4 offspring would be silver, 1/2 offspring would be arctic marble, and 1/4 would be whites.

Maybe it's the lighting, but he looks more pearl-colored than silver to me though.

Could be an illusion then. If a photo is really dark and you brighten it up to make it better it can cause fade out like that.

Either way the photo looks like a pearl so to the original question a pearl would be what you'd look for if you wanted one like it looks.
---
Mary

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”