PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Ways to keep Arctic Foxes From Being Messy

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Arctic Fox Lover

Ways to keep Arctic Foxes From Being Messy

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:36 am

So, I've been wondering, is there a way to keep arctic foxes from being messy (tearing up furniture and clothes, marking, or refusing to use the litter box). I don't want my house to turn into a giant mess, so if there's a way to keep foxes from tearing up stuff, or marking, I'd like to know.
Peacefulward

Re: Ways to keep Arctic Foxes From Being Messy

Postby Peacefulward » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:53 am

Other than completely removing stuff from your house (and putting everything into chew proof containers and locking cabinets) there isn't much you can do. I've heard taking your fox out for a long walk every morning and night helps though since it gets some energy out... Expect a fox (and especially an arctic) to do the worst indoors though... They do love to rip up couches and carpet, and are the worst at litter box training, and have the most potent smelling urine out of all the fox species.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:42 pm

How do you go about litter training them anyway? And also, is it possible to train a fox, or will they simply ignore you? How affectionate are they, and what's the energy level? What do they eat, how often, and how much? And how many people are they comfortable living in the house with them, and if there are too many people, what foxes are social?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

first of all, it is a must for foxes to have an outdoor enclosure. you can still bring him the house, but not 24/7.

artic foxes are harder to litter train than reds are.
most people with reds and artic have outdoor enclosures.

I can't say it is impossible to litter train an artic. but, much harder than a red.
honestly, I don't know of anyone that has an artic had much success in litter training.

the best I can tell you is get several large cement mixing pans for litter pans.
line it with news paper, then put a little litter in it.
when your fox messes out of the litter box, put the stoles, and soak the urine with a paper towel and put it to several of the litter pans.

If your intentions are to keep your artic in the house, then plan on a smelly house. remove all carpets, and keep heavy blankets on your furniture.
keep the kitchen door closed and as many bedrooms doors as you can closed.

also, most foxes are theives :lol: . so keep all shoes and anything small your fox can steal.
they will mark on anything. some do this to claim it is theirs.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:04 pm

It seems like a red fox would be much easier (and less smelly) to own. Could you tell me some about their care?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Arctic Fox Lover wrote:It seems like a red fox would be much easier (and less smelly) to own. Could you tell me some about their care?

red fox vs Artic are easier to litter train. they still smell, but, not as bad as a Artic.

However, any fox will NOT do good living in an apartment. They will get bored. a bored fox is a destructive fox.
foxes like their outdoor time. mine have a choice of their outdoor enclosure and coming into a room and sometimes in my house.
they prefer to be outside. they are happy out there.

also, I recommend getting a fox fixed.

I would like to give you an example of what I am trying to say. years ago (my first fox) I kept her in the house with me more than in her enclosure.
she pissed on everything. foxes can jump high. so many times, the fox I am talking about pissed on everything, bags, anything on the counter,
the rugs, the furniture. It got to the point I had to remove all my carpets, replace the furniture. at that time, my house stunk like skunk.
that is what their urine smells like. Artic foxes are worse with odor and almost impossible to litter train.

I promise you any fox will NOT be happy living in an apartment. Honestly sometimes I get tired of people trying to re-home their fox
due to their odor and lack of understanding icon-sad

again, I am not trying to be a know-it all. only telling you what I know based on 15 years of experience with foxes.

I guarantee you a fox living in an apartment will destroy your carpets, walls (even bore holes in the wall)
why do they do that? cause they are bored and in an unnatural environment.

when you get a chance look up foxes for re-home. even ask why they are re-homing. (if they tell you the truth)

does your landlord know you want to get a fox? if so, get it in writing. otherwise you will be evicted.
please wait till you can move somewhere that is a house and you can put an enclosure for your fox.

I have raised foxes for 15 years, so I do have an idea what I am talking about.
to be honest, my favorite exotic is a raccoon. they are more affectionate and much easier to work with, and 100% litter trained.
However mine still like their outdoor time, but not as much as my foxes do.

any exotic, heck even domestic, should be fully understood before getting one.
cats are easy to care for and do well in an apartment. why don't you consider a cat for now?
Later after you find a place other than an apartment, you can get foxes. build an enclosure.

Is there anywhere you can go to visit a fox? does your local zoo have any?

do you live near Ohio? there is a swap meet there that sometimes sells foxes. if you can see a fox up close and personal,
I think you would get a better understanding.

If you lived closer to me, I would let you see mine and get a whiff of their odor :lol:
I try and keep their litter pans changed daily.

I don't know how much you know about foxes. but, from my experience, foxes get along good with dogs and raccoons.

Honsetly, I am just being upfront with you and trying to explain what a fox is like (especially indoors)

the other fox owners here will chime in and explain their experience.
I really don't know any other way to explain it to you.

question: have you ever seen a fox in person?

a couple years ago, I was at a shopping center, and someone woman had a little dog, I honestly thought it was a fox :red-face:
I asked her about it, and she said it was a dog, now I can't remember the type of dog it was. but, he was sure cute.
maybe consider something like that for now :shrug: when I get a chance, I will see if I can find that type of dog.

one last question, is a fox legal in your state and your local area? Yep, most places have to clear it with the state and their local area.
foxes need a permit in most states. so check into all that too.

when I got my first fox, I had to get a permit from the state first, then needed a letter from the township saying it was OK to own a fox. :roll:
I could be wrong, but, must places require state and local, so you will have to check if they are legal.
If not, the ending could be heart breaking for you. icon-sad

so many times I have heard of a fox being put down because they were illegal :cry:

you have time, so please check all everything you can.

oh one more thing, if you take your fox for a walk, that is asking for problems. most states do not allow a fox out in public.
in my state, they must stay in their enclosure. the enclosure has certain has regulations.
the enclosure must have a bottom and obviously a top. taking a fox for a walk in public is not a good idea. if the fox bites someone,
chances are your fox will be put down and test for rabies. Most states are big on "rabies" they think all exotic animals have rabies :roll:
there is not an approved vaccine for them either :cry:

Overall, please chceck your state and local area. also, clear it with your landlord. but, I honestly am against a fox in an apartment.

If there is any info you need, please let us know. we are here to help. we are honest.
many of the fox owners here are very experienced and are also here to help you.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 pm

here are some dogs that look like a fox:

https://dogpack.com/blog/discover/Dogs- ... Like-Foxes

Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:03 pm

If i get a fox, it's going to be after i buy a house. Based on pictures, i will have enough space to build an enclosure. I'm not 100% sure I've seen a fox in person. I probably have (I've been to many zoos), but was probably too young to remember. Also, how does building an enclosure connected to the house (so he/she can go as he/she pleases)?
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:55 am

Arctic Fox Lover wrote:If i get a fox, it's going to be after i buy a house. Based on pictures, i will have enough space to build an enclosure. I'm not 100% sure I've seen a fox in person. I probably have (I've been to many zoos), but was probably too young to remember. Also, how does building an enclosure connected to the house (so he/she can go as he/she pleases)?

Most people just build the enclosure up against one side of the house where there is a window, and add a ramp. That way, your fox can enter or exit the house as he pleases while the window is open for him.

Since fox urine is so potent, I also recommend meeting some pet ones in person, up close. It'll also give you a better idea on their behavior and energy level. It's what I plan on doing, and if you wanna find someone nearby you to visit you can go on Facebook groups for pet fox owners and ask. icon-smile
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 am

Arctic Fox Lover wrote:If i get a fox, it's going to be after i buy a house. Based on pictures, i will have enough space to build an enclosure. I'm not 100% sure I've seen a fox in person. I probably have (I've been to many zoos), but was probably too young to remember. Also, how does building an enclosure connected to the house (so he/she can go as he/she pleases)?

as for the come and go. the little darling have their own room :roll: set up with bunk beds, and a doggie door that goes into their pen.
I let them in the house with me when I am home or got some of my work caught up.
I got (I called army cots :lol: ) but, they are really little cots they can lay on when they are in their room or in the house with me.

thank you AFL. You really made my day. Honestly, you will be much happier you waited. as will the fox or two or three :lol:

learn as much as you can about owning a fox. we are here to help not hurt.
here is my care sheet, (sorry, needs updated, but, gives you an idea of what I am trying to say)
http://sybilsden.com/caresheet/fox.htm

I wish you lived closer to me, you could hang out with my foxes and raccoons. but, I think you will find a raccoon
is much easier and friendly to work with. mine love attention and love to petted, scratched and brushed.
some or most raccoons do OK in an apartment. well, better than a fox would :lol:

I have also have a silver fox and a blue glazier. don't have time now, but, will post picts later.
sadly, my oldest one Daryl )posted) passed away in Feb this year icon-sad he lived to almost 13 years old.
with my raccoons I can go to them anytime, pet them and snuggle with them. my foxes don't too kindly to that.
in my experience, raccoons are much easier to work with. they are 100% litter trained. come when I call them.
I have 3 raccoons. one albino, the other two standard. they really do much better in a house as long as they are not bored.
later I will get a picture of their room and enclosure.

I am not talking you out of a fox if that is what you want. but, moving first would be much better for the both of you.
you could even get a dog for your fox. my foxes love my dogs. sometimes they snuggle on their cot with my dogs.
basically, if understood and raised properly, they get along with any animal.
with foxes, they don't 'always get along with cats icon-sad

here is the cots I am talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... oggie+cots
jerry-carrie0078.JPG
this is jerry and Carrie when they were young.
daryl-2016.JPG

I will find more pictures, right now I have to leave, will be back later.
thank you again for believing us.
Attachments
jerry0018.JPG
Jerry when young

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:54 am

one last thing, letting a fox indoor 24/7 is not a good idea. if a door opens, foxe are quick (sly as fox :lol: )
my oldest one escaped long time ago.took me 5 weeks to get him back. people were trying to shoot him :twisted:
the little brat traveled a mile from home.

I am only explaining what could happen and what happened to me.

again, we are here to help you. feel free to ask anything you are not sure of.

thank you again.

Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Can foxes be trained to use their enclosure as a sort of "litter box"? If so, an arctic would be an option.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Arctic Fox Lover wrote:Can foxes be trained to use their enclosure as a sort of "litter box"? If so, an arctic would be an option.

no. artics are much harder to litter train. if you let them use the enclosure for potty, they will think it is OK to pee and poop anywhere.
trust me, it will stink like skunks.

I have 3 litter pans in their room, 3 outside, and one in the house for them.
however, even with all the litter pans, there are times I will find fox stoles in their pen :roll:

do whatever you want, if you think an artic will do good in an apartment, then do it. but, plan on being evicted in time.
fox odor is very hard to get rid of.also save some money for the descrutction a fox will do being indoors.
I hightly doubt the landord will tolerate that. best to ask your landlord if if is OK to bring a fox in your apartment.

I use vinegar and odor destroyer to clean their litter pans.

people have walked past my fox enclosure and never smelled them. thats cause the litter pans get cleaned everyday.
also, being outside the odor is not as bad. but, inside 24/7, yike, it will be bad.

when they mark, which they do, sometimes or most times you will not notice it.

do you live on a 1st floor apt? maybe ask your landlord if you can build an enclosure :shrug:

as you probably know, most foxes are noctornal.

I can remember when I got my first fox and first raccoon. I let them stay in my bedroom, (but, they also had a doggie door to go outside)
the little darlings kept me up all night. they bounced all over me, all night :roll:

these are the type of pans I use for my foxes and raccoons:
https://www.amazon.com/11-409-36-Inch-2 ... dpSrc=srch

they are cheaper at lowes or home depot.

Honestly, I would rather you wait till you move somewhere that is more accomadting for a fox.
but, the choice is yours.

I feel bad for the fox, but, if that is your decision, I cannot suggest anything further.
all I can do is wish you the best and wish it would work out in your favor.

I was just thinking, some places sell fox urnine. get a bottle, that will give you a small idea what the urning smells like.
if you want, I will try and send you some.

all I want is for you and your fox to be happy. (with no intentions of re-homing it later) older foxes don't do well after they reach a certain age and re-homed icon-sad

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:38 pm

here is a nice post from Mary regarding foxes:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13141

again, we are here to help you, not be mean or rude. only honest.

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 pm

here is my care sheet (needs updated, but still OK info)
http://sybilsden.com/caresheet/fox.htm

never hurts to read up on others experience, the more we learn, the better.
I have had foxes and a multitude of animals for many years, still learning :lol:

to be honest, I have raised black bears. one died a few years ago., I still have the female. (she will be 17 in jan)
after raising sybil (the female) any animal after her was a breeze :lol:
I swear, sybil was pulled from momma the day I got her. took me 6 months to get her tame.

there ya go, get a black bear, then anything after that will be a breeze :lol: just kidding.
doubt your landlord would accept that :lol:

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”