PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Ways to keep Arctic Foxes From Being Messy

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Arctic Fox Lover

Re: Ways to keep Arctic Foxes From Being Messy

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:22 pm

If i get a fox, I'm planning on getting him/her after i buy a house, just to clarify things. Would you recommend an arctic, or red fox (calico morph)?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 pm

It totally depends on your preference--though I prefer red foxes since that's what I've owned and been around most of the time. As long as you have the proper setup, and you raise your fox correctly, and you know what to realistically expect, your fox should be a joy to own. Research both species before you make that decision. We can't make it for you, so have fun narrowing down the pros and cons of each. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:48 pm

Also, good on you for waiting to get a house. That's the responsible thing to do, and too many jump into it before they are ready. Thanks for thinking of the fox and waiting--even though I know it's hard.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:04 am

I can't seem to find any arctic fox care pages on websites, would you guys mind posting some links, or personal experiences?
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 am

I dug a little deeper, and found some care info on both. To be honest, it looks like Arctics would be easier. Judging from the info I've found, they can be indoor pets, and don't smell (but i will provide an outdoor enclosure, too). Do you guys have any additional info i should know?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:34 am

https://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-a-Pet-Fox

viewforum.php?f=71

do you have a breeder source yet?

Arctic Fox Lover wrote:I dug a little deeper, and found some care info on both. To be honest, it looks like Arctics would be easier. Judging from the info I've found, they can be indoor pets, and don't smell (but i will provide an outdoor enclosure, too). Do you guys have any additional info i should know?

you have that backwards. artics are near impossible to litter train. they also prefer cool weather/temp.

I am not going to talk you out of it anymore. if that is what you want, go for it. the only way you will know is by experience.
However, to save yourself heartache later, please check your state and local area if they are allowed.

If not, it takes one person to know you have a fox, report you and your fox will be put down :cry: also, your fox will need vet care, most vets will not treat an illegal animal. I have heard this more than I care to.

in fact, (I think it was on FB) a fox owner was forced to have her fox put down because it was illegal icon-sad
the owner was forced to take it to a vet and have it put down. the poor owner was so devastated.

awhile back, a neighbor I know had illegal raccoons, black bear cub and dogs. the bear and raccoons were all put down,
the dogs were taken from her. icon-sad

I was there when all this happened. geez, you would have thought she committed murder :roll:
the game commission, police and for course people from the news media were all there :roll:

I have heard so many other horror stories. but, not need for me to go into it. cause it will never happen to you.

hope all works out in your favor.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:58 am

The info i got was from several different care pages, and I've heard Dave's arctics (tinytracks exotics) have hardly any smell.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Arctic Fox Lover wrote:The info i got was from several different care pages, and I've heard Dave's arctics (tinytracks exotics) have hardly any smell.

TinyTracks is a bad breeder that misinforms people and doesn't know a lot about foxes. They're known for telling people foxes won't trust you if you own snakes, that seafood makes raccoons aggressive, and often sell people the incorrect color morphs of a fox they purchased.

Arctics and reds smell, and arctics smell stronger than reds. I have smelled red fox urine myself and can verify that it's pretty powerful stuff. TinyTrack's Arctic foxes don't smell any less than other breeders, and owners who have purchased their arctics from them will testify.

Here are some good resources for learning about foxes:
http://www.foxesandfriends.com/arcticfox.htm
As A Pet: While I cannot personally say from experience (an Arctic Fox is one of the few species of fox I have not met), I have heard multiple accounts of the smell. Arctic foxes secrete odor from glands under their fur and also have extremely odorous urine that has been described as similar to the spray a skunk would emit.

They also have been described to be temperamental, stubborn, and hard to train. But, they can be trained and cared for, as I have seen multiple accounts of people having them as pets. They tend to do best in an outdoor enclosure, as they are destructive like Red Foxes, but still need to be taken out and given plenty of attention. It is good to remember that foxes need more human interaction than dogs, since they instinctively tend to be fearful of humans.

http://www.thepetfox.net/2011/08/choosi ... t.html?m=1

http://www.blackfoxes.co.uk/the-silver-fox.php
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Arctic Fox Lover

Postby Arctic Fox Lover » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:34 pm

I can't find any other breeders. Links?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:42 pm

Lost River breeds Arctics: http://www.lostrivergamefarm.com/sale.html

More Photos of their's here: http://lostriverexotics.weebly.com/arctic-fox.html

But they don't really have any info posted like care sheets. A lot of breeders expect you to find that info before coming to them, so they can quiz you and see if you did your homework.

For the most part red fox care sheets will apply to Arctics. Smelling worse or not is debatable but they both smell bad due to their urine. They both mark. Arctics are less inclined to use a litter box than reds but even if trained both species still mark so you'll have pee and poop around no matter what. Arctics tend to be more aggressive during their young aggressive phase especially if kept inside.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:49 pm

You can look at some of Alynn's old posts about Miehera to get some idea of what it's like.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”