ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hybrids

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

jrod1989

Hybrids

Postby jrod1989 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:53 am

So, like everyone else on the forum I assumed that it wasn't possible for a red fox and an arctic fox to produce kits together because of the huge difference in chromosome numbers. Well, as it turns out, it is possible to produce hybrids. A simple google search will give you links to multiple studies on the sterility of these hybrids. Here's one such article http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/79/5/338.abstract . So what does everyone think?
steel2790

Re: Hybrids

Postby steel2790 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:20 am

going off memory, its been a while since i looked it up. but wanting to say
reds 34
arctics 42
chromosomes. i'll double check when i get some rest.
ippyriddle

Postby ippyriddle » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:40 am

It would be really cool to see what would come out of that if it didn't come out mutated or something. That article said Silver & Blue Fox are you sure they didn't mean the color phase of red fox "blue", it's not common and many people call different color mutations by sooo many different names.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:50 am

yes it was done in the past and is possible but difficult. The fur farms were experimenting with it but I think it ended up not being profitable enough to continue.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:08 pm

A lot of fur farm studies and paper work refer to the arctic fox as "blue fox" though the blue arctic fox is one that stays dark all year it seems to mean any fur farm arctic.
jrod1989

Postby jrod1989 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Yea they meant blue arctic fox when they used the term blue fox. One of the articles I read stated that fur farmers wanted to make a larger arctic fox, but it failed because the offspring are sterile and apparently no bigger than normal arctics.
jrod1989

Postby jrod1989 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:30 am

Arctics and reds can definitely reproduce, lol I actually posted about this before. Here's a link to a study that was done on the hybrids http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/79/5/338.abstract . The hybrids are sterile. The chromosome numbers seem too different for them to reproduce so a lot of people just assume they can't.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:50 pm

I wish these were sold in the pet trade, but since they can only be made through AI and are sterile, sadly, that isn't likely to happen. :/
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:50 pm

Dave from Tiny Tracks AI's his foxes, and makes hybrids at request. So they are available if he can ensure the entire litter will sell before he "makes" them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Ash wrote:Dave from Tiny Tracks AI's his foxes, and makes hybrids at request. So they are available if he can ensure the entire litter will sell before he "makes" them.

Really? I didn't know that. That's awesome. ^^ Still I find it highly unlikely that anyone else would be willing to take a hybrid fox and I wouldn't be able to take a whole litter myself. Then, there's the matter of having to move out of Texas to another more exotic friendly state as well.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:23 pm

He says they tend to be more aggressive and have shorter lifespans. So not ideal for the pet trade, but it works in the fur trade since the foxes are shorter lived. If there's not enough interest, he likely would not breed them. But he has in the past--a few years ago if I'm remembering right.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:32 pm

Yeah the first litter he did and sold for pets he listed to sell after but then when someone asked recently he said he wont unless he got enough orders to cover the litter. No sense making a whole litter for one order of one.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”