Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

SIBFOX SCAM and domestic fox discussion

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

zebrafox

Re: Sibfox

Postby zebrafox » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks for getting geeked with me :)
Dont worry, Im into photography so will be taking 100 pics and vids a day and spamming you with them ;)

The foxes actually never go to sibfox's location. They go from Russia to US port, where they are quarantined, and then shipped directly from there to your door. Im waiting on a shipping update at the moment
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:50 am

I'm totally jealous, not gonna lie. I wish I had the money for that kind of thing...so cool!
foxftw

Postby foxftw » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:56 am

Does anyone know if this fox has arrived yet? I'm going out of my mind waiting to hear about it.
cheshire fox

Postby cheshire fox » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:14 pm

yes, it has arrived.. and for 7000$ it is so domesticated it does her laundry for her

foxftw

Postby foxftw » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:12 pm

I suspect that statement might not be accurate.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Yeah I was going to wait and see what Zebra has to say. I don't want to seem rude or upset anyone but it does look like she was most likely scammed.

I only looked into this today but:
SibFox is registered through a proxy service so you can't track down the owner of the site. They are registered in Las Vegas but are not actually located in the state a common thing for tax reasons(don't know where they are though).
David Garside does not have a USDA license and they would need one to sell/broker foxes in the USA. Sibfox is also not a registered name.

I was hoping it was a mistype by Zebra but you can't get an animal like a fox delivered "To your door" You have to pick them up at the airport. You HAVE too.

When an animal enters the USA there HAS to be someone there to claim them so they would HAVE to been officially in Sibfox's possession at some point before getting sent to the buyers local airport.

They also would need to be licensed by USFW as an importer but I don't know how to look that one up as easily. They do need to legally share their USDA and import license number with you if you ask though, assuming they are legit and have them.

Edit: Also there wouldn't be a quarantine in the US as far as I know though I don't know everything and was hoping for the best. US laws are surprisingly not stringent that way aside from specific species and certain circumstances, and all birds. Anteaters get quarantined for a month in Guyana before coming to the US but that's Guyana law not US law.

I really didn't want to be rude or anything so was waiting on the verdict by Zebra but since discussion has started, it does look bad right now. I really do hope I'm wrong though as it will be hard to even find these people if you want to sue them.
foxftw

Postby foxftw » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:19 pm

That makes me a sad panda! icon-sad
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 pm

I do not believe I have been scammed, but people are welcome to speculate. I do personally find it rude when someone is trying to convince people of something regarding my situation that may not be true. But if its an administrator, it means they can say whatever they like regardless of how I feel about it and I'm not going to argue with them. That aside, I know there are good intentions behind the concern.

The institute has all paperwork and transport equipment ready for shipment, and the only missing component is approval from Russia's Federal Service for Supervising Natural Resources (Rosprirodnadzor). The reason they need such approval is because the Institute is an academic institution and have to follow such regulations. As soon as they receive this approval they can ship the fox. They stated that they expect to receive this approval within 1-2 weeks. They're just waiting on this one doc. The Russian government doesn't work the same as the U.S. govt.

I suppose we will see in the end. But until then I'm not going to make assumptions and accusations. I have absolutely no reason to believe Sibfox is a scam.
Last edited by zebrafox on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm not the site owner and I do hope I'm wrong. You made it sound like the flight was booked for the 14th. Was the flight never booked? Did they not tell you that date? If they did tell you that date why did the institute not know they needed this paper work before they scheduled a flight date?

I do hope I'm wrong. It would be great. I am sorry for upsetting you but I also think some honesty is needed and you should be asking some questions. But I wont say another word unless he arrives.
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:39 pm

The institute told David that the animals would be able to be shipped by the 14th because that was the end date of the 30 day waiting period required after the completion of the vaccinations prior to export.
So David told me they would be able to ship on the 14th.
The 14th rolled around and there had been no communications from them to him regarding status updates. He conference called them Monday to inquire about the delays and that's when we learned they are waiting for this final document.

Nothing is impossible of course and making a transaction with anyone is risky. We just have to use our best judgment, and all of the evidence and my instincts told me and continue to tell me that David is not scamming me. If he was planning on dropping off the map after taking my money, he could have done that months ago.
But again we will see in the end, if he ever arrives or not. And of course, regardless of the outcome, I will be posting about it.
foxftw

Postby foxftw » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:04 pm

YAY! This makes me a happy panda! icon_biggin.gif
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:04 am

zebrafox wrote:The institute told David that the animals would be able to be shipped by the 14th because that was the end date of the 30 day waiting period required after the completion of the vaccinations prior to export.
So David told me they would be able to ship on the 14th.
The 14th rolled around and there had been no communications from them to him regarding status updates. He conference called them Monday to inquire about the delays and that's when we learned they are waiting for this final document.

Nothing is impossible of course and making a transaction with anyone is risky. We just have to use our best judgment, and all of the evidence and my instincts told me and continue to tell me that David is not scamming me. If he was planning on dropping off the map after taking my money, he could have done that months ago.
But again we will see in the end, if he ever arrives or not. And of course, regardless of the outcome, I will be posting about it.

Wish you the best of luck! I will be following this thread very closely in the next few weeks, will you be posting frequent updates once you get your fox? How old will he be when he finally arrives?

As part of my graduation requirement, I have to complete an extensive Capstone experience, usually on research. I was thinking about studying the difference between the domesticated foxes, wild foxes, and "tame" foxes and purchasing a fox from Sibfox (or directly from the institute) to "study". I think it'd be pretty cool to do some documented research on their behaviors. icon-smile
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:04 pm

Hey Trish,
By the time I get him now he'll be around 6mo. I set up a website for a project where I plan on making very frequent entries about him, how training is progressing, etc and including many videos and pictures. There is NOT enough information on domestic foxes as pets available on the web so my intentions are to help change that :)

If you did some documentation comparing the domestics with their wild/tame counterparts using I think it would be a highly valuable resource and would be interested in linking to it on my site :)

~K
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Would he be an inside or outside fox
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 pm

indoor :)
an update: Sibfox has been in constant contact with the institute, who is still waiting on the one final documentation to be processed by the government. The institute has even called the department multiple times but the document remains "in progress". Due to this Sibfox offered to fedex me a refund a couple days ago, since the contract i signed stated that after 90 days if the fox hadnt been delivered that they'd refund, and the days had passed. I wasnt interested in the refund though so I declined and said Id continue to wait. I did get Viktors passports and specimen documentation from the institute sent to me too! On his papers, they named him "Antoshka," which I asked Dave about, and he confirmed it is his nickname there at the Institute. So ill be keeping it as his middle name because its sooooo cute!
There is also a physical description of him which writes "Markings: Standard red, with small white tie (?? i dont know what this means!!)
He is also microchipped on the left side of his neck.
He was born on april 3, 2011.
Its so hard waiting for my baby. Im sure some of you know this feeling :(

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”