Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

SIBFOX SCAM and domestic fox discussion

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Alynn

Re: SIBFOX SCAM and domestic fox discussion

Postby Alynn » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:09 pm

That's great news Zebra!
And this time all the importation has been worked out with the USDA, correct?
She certainly is friendly looking. She's awfully pretty too.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:18 pm

I would get the female. The zoo obviously doesn't want to give up the foxes and the government doesn't want you to have them. To be honest there is no lawsuit that could be filed. You never owned the animal SibFox did and they legally signed them over to the government and then given to the zoo and you got your deposit refunded. You gave the deposit to reserve him but you never owned him yet. Trying to sue the government would be like trying to sue a shelter to get back a dog that had been adopted out already or sue the new owner for adopting the dog. There is no legal recourse to get Victor. You don't even know which one is him.

I recommend trying to be happy knowing he's in a good place and get the female instead. Trying to get him would just cause you months maybe years more of suffering as you wage a fruitless battle against the legal system.
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:36 pm

I think I need to resign myself to the idea that Viktor will be there forever... The guy at dept of texas wildlife was nice and seemed to like me, but was clear that they really dont make exceptions..
as long as he is in a good place, which he seems to be, I suppose i can move on..and she is very beautiful...
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:42 pm

I'm really sorry that getting Viktor back seems to be a dead end. :(

But it's not the end. That female is, like you said, very beautiful. Surely she is very sweet.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:44 am

I am sorry about Viktor. But I do think it will be best for you to move on and look forward to getting this female fox. She is a gorgeous fox, and looks really nice and happy. It would be wonderful if you were able to adopt her from the Institute.

I think girl foxes are prettier than males. They're much more narrow with a petite build--at least the ones I have seen. ;) You'll have to decide on a name for her!
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
foxftw

Postby foxftw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:06 pm

not sure if thats a happy ending or sad ending. i guess its just kind of a sideways ending. atleast you will get a tame fox even if its not the one you were hoping for and that is still super exciting!
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:21 pm

The females name is Anya. She is 8 months old (same age as Viktor) and related to him. Over the summer she was taught tricks like a dog. She is described as being very friendly toward people and incredibly clever. She is not spayed yet but will be spayed before i receive her.

I have decided to try and adopt Anya. I have my USDA friend arranging importation documents as we speak :) we plan to fly there, pick her up and bring her back so that she never leaves our posession.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:21 pm

I'm so happy for you! I hope everything works out well for you and Anya. I'm glad you were able to find someone from the USDA to help you out. He seems like a great person to work with!
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
TobiasAmaranth

Postby TobiasAmaranth » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Seriously? Austin??

I live in north Austin. :O

I'm going to make an attempt to meet with the foxes at the zoo sometime in the next week. Aside from video, is there anything that I should try and ask them or talk to them about? Or perhaps anything I should avoid mentioning? Or information on them that we don't have yet?

(Really though, of all the places for them to end up... I've been following this topic the whole time through. I plan on getting one from the institute at some point in the future, but wouldn't know where to start on softening up Texas to Domesticated Red foxes like these, and this in itself is a great start for making a case towards these foxes being 'safe'. We'll have to see...)
Footage of two Russian Domesticated foxes, currently residing at the Austin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary.
25-clip Playlist - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2E542464FD1F2CCE
TobiasAmaranth

Postby TobiasAmaranth » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:06 pm

In the process of uploading videos of Mikhail and Nikolai from the Austin Zoo. My internet is incredibly bad, so they'll be appearing over the next day and a half. When they are all complete, I'll start a new topic for the videos, but I figure I'll give a sneak peak for those who have been following this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TobiasAmaranthh - As of posting this, the first video has been uploaded. The videos will eventually each be 720p.
Footage of two Russian Domesticated foxes, currently residing at the Austin Zoo and Animal Sanctuary.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks for sharing the videos! They're certainly cute, though from what I saw in the videos, I'm not sure that they're worth the hype. They seem pretty ordinary. Maybe less fearful of humans than "non-domesticated" foxes but they don't appear to be interested in humans either. Maybe it's just because they seem people so frequently that they've lost their appeal?
TobiasAmaranth

Postby TobiasAmaranth » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:12 pm

There's a few later videos that have them being a little more interested in the guests but yes, they've been there a few weeks at this point, and I'm sure they've already been desensitized some to the random people coming by. Especially since they aren't even able to interact. I stuck my finger in the cage from a single vulnerable point and was well received, so it's clear they do want human contact. You just can't really call a wire cage border human contact.

There's another video later where they are brought water. That would be the best one to look at outside of the finger noms in terms of behavior towards people. I'll go into detail on the various videos when I post a new topic tomorrow.
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 am

Thank you very much for checking on them and sharing the videos with us Tobias
its really hard for me to watch these without tearing up though
TobiasAmaranth

Postby TobiasAmaranth » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:02 am

Don't suppose you know which one was going to be your's? It's hard to say when it comes to their markings because of their winter coat coming out early, but the smaller one (Nik) has a little white on the shoulders, and the larger one (Mik) has a smaaaall bit of piebald. Very very minor but noticeable in the videos.
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:18 am

the one with the star on the head is Viktor, the white patch was mentioned in his passport papers

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”