Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

SIBFOX SCAM and domestic fox discussion

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

illida

Re: Sibfox

Postby illida » Wed May 04, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm 14 and sibfox might be going out of business they told me they're too poor to hire someone to answer the phone and they haven't sold a single fox I believe the second one. well I have 9 years to figure out if sibfox is the real deal
I currently own three kitties Corwin(8 months), Brophy(8 months), and Talouse (10 years) :)
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Sibfox is legit.

In case anyone is interested: The 2011 domestic kit photos have been posted on their site. Some of them have already been purchased but there are still 2 or so available.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:10 pm

The one in picture 2 on their page is adorable. The little white sock on its back foot is so cute.
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:22 pm

They're all adorable. :D

...Just wondering; did they raise their price by $1000, or did I miss something? Because I recall approximating them at about $6000 (being their $5950), now it says it's $6950 - has it always been that and I missed it, or did they raise the price? Hah.

And Zebrafox, do you know when you're supposed to get your kit? That is super-duper exciting. icon_biggin.gif
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
bajacalal

Postby bajacalal » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:30 pm

Does anyone here know someone personally who already has a Sibfox fox, or has anyone even heard, through the grapevine, of someone else getting one?

I think they are either not a legit business or they are possibly someone's business idea that they had but which hasn't really gone anywhere yet. If you bought one I hope you get it.
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 pm

They did indeed raise their price by 1k from last year.

Im getting my baby in mid August. :)))) SO EXCITED. I think I'm going with the name Viktor.

@bajacalal what exactly makes you think it's a scam? I have a contract from them saying they will be delivering my fox to me in August or I get my money back. So, if neither of these things happen I can take them to court.... I don't see why they'd sign a contract with me if they were planning on taking my money and running. :)
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:25 am

To be honest, I don't see at all why these Russian foxes are so appealing.

A) all the fox-like qualities are taken out of them, therefore you have a better looking "dog."
B) they spay and neuter them, so you can't breed them.
C) the price.... Monopoly much?
astargirl22

Postby astargirl22 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:36 am

THANK YOU WESLEY!!!!!! WELL SAID!!!

if u want a fox that looks like a dog and acts like a dog, then get a damn dog... if u want a fox that looks and acts like a fox, then get a red fox or a fennec or a grey or a swift... see where im going??

what is the point of owning a fox if it does not have true traits of a fox or has the behaviors of a fox? then buy a puppy... i have said this before.... and for the amount of cash they wont for those things, well let me tell u, bella does all the same sh** they do... wags her tail, wants affection, listens, dont smell, is not aggressive... really i could keep going on... and that is not even the traits about barrett....

at any rate i can respect that others want one of these "domestic" foxes, to each is their own... but in my opinion, not work it.. just get a darn dog :monk-dev:
~PROUD PARENT OF A SPOILED LITTLE SWIFT FOX NAMED BELLA AND A HANDSOME CHILL MARBLE FOX NAMED BARRETT~
astargirl22

Postby astargirl22 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:35 pm

* not WORTH it not work it lol :hin:
~PROUD PARENT OF A SPOILED LITTLE SWIFT FOX NAMED BELLA AND A HANDSOME CHILL MARBLE FOX NAMED BARRETT~
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:45 pm

I don't want to start an argument here, since I'm new to the board and am hoping to make friends and become more involved in the fox owner community, but I guess I don't quite understand the aggression over owning a domestic fox. No disrespect to wild/tame foxes is meant by the choice to own a domestic.

I've had an obsession with foxes since I was 4. But despite that love and interest, taming and keeping a wild animal isn't for everybody and I recognize this fact.
There's a number of reasons why I feel a domesticated animal is the best option for me as a pet owner (lack of experience taming wild animals chiefly among them) - in the same way that people choose one breed over another in accordance with their lifestyle.

In response to Tombraiderwes
A) I will address A below
B) I have no interest in breeding. I'm just seeking a pet. So one individual is enough for me
C) There are legitimate reasons for the price, including a large number of vaccinations, exportation, legal paperwork, not to mention the actual value of these rare animals themselves to the experiment. But it is within my means. Remember that the russian fox experiment can't be called a monopoly because it isn't a business.

On the topic of A)
Let me point out something - if you know much about genetics you already understand that just because it's been domesticated doesnt mean it's been "turned into a dog." It still has fox genes - all behaviours present are expressions of genes and nature already present in the species. It's behaviour is still fox - albeit a young fox.

Also remember that dog behaviours, such as digging, chasing, leg-lifting, howling, herding, etc are actually wolf behaviors. The wolf wasn't "taken out" of the animal by domestication. In the same way, the fox will retain fox behaviour.

I will also mention that this experiment is of enormous importance to evolutionary biology. As a science (especially zoology) enthusiast, I am very excited to be a part of it.
ruscithil

Postby ruscithil » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:29 pm

I am sure nobody meant to offend you.
Many members here just don't trust Sibfox since so far apparently nobody ever actually got a domesticated Russian fox from them.

Personally, I am very enthusiastic about these domesticated foxes (secretly hoping that they will help people to understand that foxes are very fascinating animals that are not simply a nuisance or "pest" or carriers of diseases).

If they were cheaper and easier to get (and if I had room for more than the two foxes I have), I would love to buy one myself. I would prefer this to raising one on the bottle (implying that it would have to be taken from its mother) just to get him or her used to me. But that's just my persona peference.
I don't think that they are so very different from "normal" hand-raised foxes - no matter whether these are wild or captive-bred. I assume that they are still foxes, with foxy behaviour, foxy body language and a foxy spirit.
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:16 pm

zebrafox wrote:I don't want to start an argument here, since I'm new to the board and am hoping to make friends and become more involved in the fox owner community, but I guess I don't quite understand the aggression over owning a domestic fox. No disrespect to wild/tame foxes is meant by the choice to own a domestic.

In response to Tombraiderwes
A) I will address A below
B) I have no interest in breeding. I'm just seeking a pet. So one individual is enough for me
C) There are legitimate reasons for the price, including a large number of vaccinations, exportation, legal paperwork, not to mention the actual value of these rare animals themselves to the experiment. But it is within my means. Remember that the russian fox experiment can't be called a monopoly because it isn't a business.

On the topic of A)
Let me point out something - if you know much about genetics you already understand that just because it's been domesticated doesnt mean it's been "turned into a dog." It still has fox genes - all behaviours present are expressions of genes and nature already present in the species. It's behaviour is still fox - albeit a young fox.

However, if you read about the experiment, the dog-like traits were brought out by domestication. The researchers themselves even compared them to dogs, and I was just saying they acted like dogs. And honestly, they have what appears to be the same temperament. With regards to their genes, the fox genes are still their, just not outwardly displayed, which is what (to me) having a fox is all about. That's all I was saying.

I am not trying to be "aggressive" at all. I mean I respect that that is the type of animal you want, and I understand you only want it as a pet, I just just can't understand it. I like foxes for the fox traits, and like to view them as such. I just don't get at all what the appeal is. And these people at sibfox are starting a business, a business they can monopolize with because they neuter their foxes so no one else has a right to start it.

Honestly, I am not trying to start a debate I am merely saying I don't understand why you would in essence want a fox that acts like a dog. Lack of experience with wild animals is not a problem if you take the time and dedication to bond with them to where they respect you as their parent.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:47 pm

If you don't want a read fox then get a dog is pretty aggressive, You weren't the only one who replied Wes. Still you weren't just saying you don't want one but it's okay for others too. You said you don't know why anyone would want one. I don't like pigs, they smell horrible and their personalities suck but I don't go posting in pig threads about my feelings saying I don't understand why anyone would ever want one.

There is hostility here of "real fox" people against what they deem "fake foxes" which does come across as hostile also to anyone who would want one. A domesticated fox is just another breed/subspecies of fox.

Face it a lot of people get foxes then get rid of them once they grow up. Many of the reasons for their being given up are gone or limited in the domestic ones. People who know they are not ready for a "real fox" but want a fox and get a domestic instead is a good thing as opposed to nothing or getting rid of it. And it's no threat to your liking "real foxes" because there are still plenty of breeders of those and plenty of people who want and prefer them.
astargirl22

Postby astargirl22 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:01 pm

once someone here does get one of these foxes, i cant wait to hear about them and see videos... i really really wanna here from experience how these foxes are different ya no what i mean... gonna be very interesting i think..one of these foxes are not me for i dont think but a bella bean isnt right for everyone either :monk-dev:

i guess what i was trying to get across is i dont understand why u want a fox that acts like a dog :lol: but then again, who wants a fox that ruins ur house and hides raw meat in your bed :monk-dev: hahaha! oh wait.. i do :mrgreen: :piggy:
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Sorry if I came across as aggressive. If you met me you would know I never mean anything maliciously, I just don't say things how I mean... it's a bad trait to just spew out what I think before re-reading it lol

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”