Dog Food Recalls: viewforum.php?f=67

SIBFOX SCAM and domestic fox discussion

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Sibfox

Postby sarajeku » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:15 pm

astargirl22 wrote: but then again, who wants a fox that ruins ur house and hides raw meat in your bed :monk-dev: hahaha! oh wait.. i do

:lol: teehee
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:16 am

Zebrafox--I'm super happy for you! Even though I don't know you at all, I can just imagine how excited you must be. I would like to have a Russian fox--but I don't think I would actually ever get one. Mainly because of the money and the fact that they can't be bred--but that's just me.

You be sure to post videos and pics, alright!
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
bajacalal

Postby bajacalal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:08 pm

zebrafox wrote:@bajacalal what exactly makes you think it's a scam? I have a contract from them saying they will be delivering my fox to me in August or I get my money back. So, if neither of these things happen I can take them to court.... I don't see why they'd sign a contract with me if they were planning on taking my money and running. :)

Then that would be a scam, which is what I thought they are, if they sign a contract with you that they don't intend to fulfill and then disappear completely. They would only have to scam a dozen or 2 dozen people to make $50,000-100,000...

When people first started talking about them, I was very suspicious as the information they posted on their website did not coincide with the actual legal and other (like medical) issues that people have owning exotic animals though they have since updated this and have their website linked on the Russian site which gives them more credibility, as has the fact that you did your due diligence in dealing with them when you signed up for a fox and trust them with your money.

However, the only way I could find to contact them was online or at an address in Nevada which turns out to be a post office box at one of those mail/shipping stores and not an actual location of their operations. This led me to suspect that they were a scam and not a legitimate business. But, I will admit that a business such as theirs may have a reason to keep their real information from the public.

To answer your other question, I think a lot of people want a fox, not simply because it's a fox, but because it is wild. I know that isn't the best way to put that and to say it's a wild animal is controversial here so maybe I should say that it has wild traits which people admire. People want to have this experience of what life is like with this beautiful wild animal as their companion. You could say it is a goal for many people to earn the trust of this animal. I think for a lot of us it wouldn't be the same if it was like getting a puppy.

And, people have put themselves through a lot to get an ordinary fox and make living with it into a workable situation and they could feel like you cheated by getting a domesticated one. They could think you want the fox because it's pretty but don't want the extra work that goes with owning one (though this is probably not true).

Anyway, I hope things work out for you and that you get him/her because I am excited to learn more about the Russian foxes and I think that the sale of domesticated foxes has the potential to be a very positive thing for people who own foxes or want to own them.
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Yeah. They're not a scam. I'm in direct contact with David Garside from sibfox (who the russian institute themselves refer you to if you inquire about purchasing from the U.S.) almost daily.

Also that address is not a P.O. box and it's been listed for over 2 years. So they haven't "disappeared" on anyone.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Zebrafox, out of curiosity ,where you live in Michigan? I live in Lenawee county and I was wondering how far away you are. x)
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 pm

my place is in canton, but I frequent plymouth, ann arbor, and lansing :)
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:46 pm

zebrafox wrote:my place is in canton, but I frequent plymouth, ann arbor, and lansing :)

Canton is only an hour away from where I live. I have family near Lansing and my mom works at the Meijer in Ann Arbor. o:
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:45 pm

No way? when we get our foxes, we should have a fox playdate :)
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:38 pm

zebrafox wrote:No way? when we get our foxes, we should have a fox playdate :)

Haha, hopefully I could convince my parents. x) Maybe some day.
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:15 am

Zebrafox, I'm so jealous! Can't wait to see your little guy in August, please promise you'll tell us all about him/her icon-smile
Brash

Postby Brash » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:50 pm

If I were to fly to Russia to pick out a fox and had all the necessary documentation stating I could keep the fox leagally in my state would I be able to fly home with the fox and avoid the problem of waiting 3 months for quarantine?
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:46 pm

I dont think so. Also, they need to spay/neuter the fox before it leaves the facility, so it needs to be old enough for them to do that.
I think there's still a lot of FDA paperwork required to import it, and possibly exportation documents for the russian government as well.
Youd need to ask the institute directly for details on the process.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:25 pm

Part of the wait time is also due to them waiting till they are older the ensure their temperament.
Vida

Postby Vida » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am

@zebrafox, congrats! your so lucky! :D I stay in Cali (the worst place for exotics). Though i usually visit grand blanc in the summer. What coloration did you order? I've noticed Georgian white is slightly less healthy in coat quality, platinum being my fave :3
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:40 am

I got a red. Its always been my fav :) Here's my guy Image

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”