please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Beautiful Fur Animals and their colour genetics

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Alynn

Beautiful Fur Animals and their colour genetics

Postby Alynn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:19 pm

I just got this book yesterday, and I've been geeking out ever since.

This book is just fantastic, and I got it new condition. Ever time I get done with it, I put it back in the padded envelope it came in, and I've not been letting anyone else touch it.

There's a lot of information about colorations, and most of it is about foxes, save for mink, raccoon dogs, martens, nutria and chinchillas in the back. It includes Red foxes, arctic foxes, arctic x red hybrids, and gray foxes.

Here's a few things I've learned so far that I thought were interesting to share:

*Sapphire blue in red foxes, this color:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs48/f/2009/ ... oxsvir.jpg
Is created by combining two pearl foxes, eastern and Mansfield (there's actually a lot of different types of pearls). This personally makes me happy since Sapphire is probably one of my favorite color mutations, if not my favorite.

*Gray foxes are noted in the book as being much easier to tame than red foxes and are more doglike when kept as pets than the other species.

*Arctic x Red fox hybrids are noted to be unusually aggressive, even more so than either of it's parents. They are also definitely sterile; females will go in heat, but the pregnancy will not take.

*There are a lot of color mutations in this book that I haven't even seen before or at least had no idea what it was when I saw it.

*There are a lot more color variations of arctic foxes than I thought there were. Most of them are variations of white and blue, but there is one called pearl, where the fur is cream with these silvery colored guard hairs, and the fox has stunning blue eyes.

*Blue arctic foxes will occasionally get spotting, piebald markings or mottled markings. These are not genetic and will not be inherited by the offspring.

*Shadow arctic foxes will occasionally get a stray spot or patch on their fur. This is a somatic mutation aka not inherited.

That's what I've learned so far. If anyone has any questions about color mutations or would like me to try and identify a mutation you found, feel free to ask.
I'm really fuzzy on arctic fox mutations right now though, so I can't really explain them very well at this time, but I will try if you ask.

Really though, I just wanted to rave about this book. c:
Talys

Re: Beautiful Fur Animals and their colour genetics

Postby Talys » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 pm

What a gem! I really really would like a copy of that book!!! Grays are the most like dogs though? Wow I have a TON of questions for you and that book now :3 Does it have anything about the Russian fox experiment?
I also feel like I left out a vital question, where'd you get that book?!
Last edited by Talys on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Talys wrote:What a gem! I really really would like a copy of that book!!! Grays are the most like dogs though? Wow I have a TON of questions for you and that book now :3 Does it have anything about the Russian fox experiment?

Feel free to fire away and I can do my best to answer.

The experiment is not mentioned from what I've read. This book was published in 1989, and from what I know the experiment did not start getting national attention until recently.
Talys

Postby Talys » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Awesome! I'm scouring the internet for a copy of that book, but I only found people with 13 copies for $87. How does it describe the grays as compared to the reds as the former being more dog like? How'd you manage to get a hold of this gem? Does it classify the arctic shadow foxes? Cuz I really have been confused by the conversations on that.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Talys wrote:Awesome! I'm scouring the internet for a copy of that book, but I only found people with 13 copies for $87. How does it describe the grays as compared to the reds as the former being more dog like? How'd you manage to get a hold of this gem? Does it classify the arctic shadow foxes? Cuz I really have been confused by the conversations on that.

I got it from that guy, and he only has 3 copies left now, and he's the only person I've been able to find with the books.

And yes, it does explain shadow arctic foxes, but I'm trying to read the section on arctic foxes right now so I can explain it better. It's kind of confusing. I'll let you know what I read.
Talys

Postby Talys » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Ah! grr I found it at 11 libraries...and thanks! I'll post more questions as they come up! I hope I don't become too much of a bother. =^.^=
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Not at all. =)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:57 pm

What a neat book! I didn't know that about the sapphire, but that's very interesting to know.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:40 pm

wow awesome! Does it have any photos in it that we dont have on the net? if so do you think you could scan and make a PDF of all the newly available photos of morphs?
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:03 pm

I got my copy of it by contacting the publisher :).
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Oooooh, could you post a pic of the pearl arctic? LOL we're super greedy here.
Talys

Postby Talys » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:42 pm

Aha! Thanks Ragtatter, I'll use that idea!
Talane

Postby Talane » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:07 am

Ooooh OOOH that book looks awesome!!! I'd like to know more about golden islands, pearls, and fire and ice! :D

And it might make the book last longer if you scan the pages to use for reference c: You could even share some of the pictures here!
Who said that? XD
Signature art (c) me! Please do not steal it!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:31 pm

It might be illegal for her to share them without permission from the owner of the photos or author of the book or something.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:00 pm

the_unstable wrote:It might be illegal for her to share them without permission from the owner of the photos or author of the book or something.

Of course it is because of copyright laws and all that,but people do it all the time and don't get in trouble for it. Now, if she scans the whole book like they're asking, then she might get in trouble,but I don't see the harm in her scanning a few photos. Nobodys ever actually gotten in trouble for that that I know of.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”