PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Beautiful Fur Animals and their colour genetics

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Talys

Re: Beautiful Fur Animals and their colour genetics

Postby Talys » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:39 pm

I think just a few at one time would be ok, since it could be considered a similar circumstance as those who scan at libraries, not the same, but similar.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
Daisy

Postby Daisy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:20 pm

If she scans any of it she risks getting in a lot of trouble . I am the only US distributor of the book and it cost me plenty for that contract.
Sorry
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 pm

ill look into copyright law and see what it says about that
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Yeah, sorry guys. :\ I don't want to get me or Dave or anyone else in trouble.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:17 pm

Daisy wrote:If she scans any of it she risks getting in a lot of trouble . I am the only US distributor of the book and it cost me plenty for that contract.
Sorry

I doubt that. Do you actually own any rights to the book? Are you the publisher or author of it?
Also, wow. What happened to free use? Sharing pictures for educational purposes?
If you are so proud of foxes and selling them for taxidermy, don't you want people to know what different color morphs look like?

Also, do you actually have any proof you have any rights to the book? Why should we believe someone we only know from the interenet?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:22 pm

You cannot use pictures without the permission of the photographer or whoever owns the rights to the photos. It is 100% illegal to post or copy them without consent unless the work falls into the public domain (which this work does not).

Yes, many people get away with it all the time. Same with illegal downloads. All of these things are illegal; there are just too many people doing it that it can't be controlled. If you were discovered to be doing this by the appropriate persons or authorities, you would be in serious legal trouble and have to pay hefty fines.

In short, the law of copyright is this: don't copy or distribute it UNLESS it belongs to you or you have received the permission from the artist/photographer.

Educational use is most likely not going to save you. You can still be taken to court and lose even if you were using it in a way you believed to be educational. There's no such thing as "free use" unless it is in the public domain.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Well,nothing happened to these people:
http://www.eau.ee/~alo/karusloomad/reba ... 3Bberebane

Someone on here(I think it was Jrod) said that all the pictures on their site are from this book.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:31 pm

It's because they have not been caught. Copyright also gets fuzzy when you start dealing with other countries. But in the US we are bound by the US rules of copyright.

For example, there is currently a conflict regarding certain orchestral scores from the 20th century. Here in the US they are in the public domain, but in other parts of the world (where the works were first published/composed) the rights still belong to someone.

You could try to take citizens of another country to court, but it's really difficult to do so, especially when there are two different laws.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Also that site may have paid the owner of the photos for the right to use them.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:40 pm

In this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=8591

caninesrock wrote:@Elina:No. The site I got if from specifically said that it was a taxidermied red fox morph.

I found a site that has all the fur fox morphs,but it's not in English.
http://www.eau.ee/~alo/karusloomad/rebased/?Galerii

Found Blue Frost Fox.They both look like arctic foxes to me,but I could be wrong:

jrod1989 wrote:Caninesrock, all of those pictures you posted are from a book called "Furbearing Animals and their Coat Color Mutations" by N. Nes, I think thats the title anyway. I own an english copy of the book.

vjrod1989 wrote:
Ah yes that is the title of the book. To get a copy send an email to SteenH.Moller@agrsci.dk. Yes it was rather difficult to find a copy of the book, lol i had to email a few people using half assed google translator messages before i was finally able to find who to contact. He will sell you a copy of the book though, and its definitely worth getting. Anything you could want to know concerning fox color genetics as well as some other animals is in there, as well as many pictures of all of them. Sorry it took me so long to reply, I'm not on the board a whole lot anymore but I do stop by when i get the time.

I thought you were the only US distributor Dave? The name Dave isn't anywhere in that email address.

Talys

Postby Talys » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:49 pm

I definitely was wrong then-Dave would certainly know best because from what I've seen with Alynn's and others' experiences, he knows his stuff.

If you are so proud of foxes and selling them for taxidermy, don't you want people to know what different color morphs look like?

Also, do you actually have any proof you have any rights to the book? Why should we believe someone we only know from the interenet?

I've heard and somewhat seen secondhand (unfortunately, it's not my time yet to ask questions), Dave is absolutely spectacular on answering questions. You come here for advice I assume and info like the rest of us, so you do set store in what people have to say that you only know from the internet.

Daisy/Dave and-or Alynn, would there be another chance of a wave of those books coming in at any point in time in the future? I would find a lot of value in procuring one in the next couple of years to add to the research before finally making the plans to getting a fox.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Talys wrote:
I've heard and somewhat seen secondhand (unfortunately, it's not my time yet to ask questions), Dave is absolutely spectacular on answering questions. You come here for advice I assume and info like the rest of us, so you do set store in what people have to say that you only know from the internet.

Daisy/Dave and-or Alynn, would there be another chance of a wave of those books coming in at any point in time in the future? I would find a lot of value in procuring one in the next couple of years to add to the research before finally making the plans to getting a fox.

Ohh. I do take advice on animals,but when it comes to things like claiming "Hey, I wrote that book, or "Hey,that's was me in that movie",or "I have the rights to that", I take things with a grain of salt until I have proof. I can't just blindly believe everything I hear(or rather read), especially on the internet.

As for getting the book, just email the person Jrod gave the email of in the qoute I posted. It sounds like they speak English from what Jrod was saying. It was only the first couple of people he had to write in Russian to. And that person seems to be the distributor of the English copies of the book.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:15 pm

I'm sorry if I accidentally cut out what you meant to quote but there was no reason we needed to scrolls through a ton of photos from another topic on this topic. Not everyone has 4g speed connections. Some people even still use dial up.

Just because the photos are in or from the book does not prove that site stole them. They could have paid for rights to use them.

And that email address is not a US address.

But You would have to ask them if they gave exclusive book distribution rights to Dave or if he just bought some and resold them.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:19 pm

SteenH.Moller@agrsci.dk is the publisher's email address I do believe. .dk means Denmark, and the book was published in Denmark. I can't say anything on whether or not Dave is the only distributor because I do not know.

The only other thing that I have to add is that Caninesrock, your first post directed towards Dave came off as very hostile and condescending, which was uncalled for.

I made this thread because I was really excited to get this book and I wanted to share what I had learned from it. I didn't want it to cause any disagreement.

As an artist myself I would prefer to respect copyright.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:16 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:I'm sorry if I accidentally cut out what you meant to quote but there was no reason we needed to scrolls through a ton of photos from another topic on this topic. Not everyone has 4g speed connections. Some people even still use dial up.

Just because the photos are in or from the book does not prove that site stole them. They could have paid for rights to use them.

And that email address is not a US address.

But You would have to ask them if they gave exclusive book distribution rights to Dave or if he just bought some and resold them.

Well, I quoted them because people were asking to see photos from the book in this topic so I was quoting the photos for them to see.

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”