ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Beautiful Fur Animals and their colour genetics

Breeding, caging, housing, bottle feeding, domestication, colors, in cage enrichment, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

the_unstable

Re: Beautiful Fur Animals and their colour genetics

Postby the_unstable » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 pm

So, er...since there was information in the book about Grey Foxes...um...are there any other color morphs of them?
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Did it say anything in the book about whether or not the red-arctic hybrids change color like pure arctics or if they stay the same color all year?

Also, what species of fox is the Fawn Light? Is it a hybrid too?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
amyers

Postby amyers » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:30 pm

I for one would LOVE to hear about some gray morphs. ;)
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Grays have no color morphs. I really wish they did.

Fawn Light is a hybrid of arctic and red foxes, and it's created by mixing a regular polar arctic fox with a Fawn glow red fox. Fawn glow itself is achieved by mixing colicott brown and pearl. It looks a lot like Sapphire, except it is a bit paler and more brown and has blue eyes.

I haven't read much on it, but I'll try and read and see if there is any change in coat color with the seasons. I don't think there is, but I'll check.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Alynn wrote:Grays have no color morphs. I really wish they did.

Fawn Light is a hybrid of arctic and red foxes, and it's created by mixing a regular polar arctic fox with a Fawn glow red fox. Fawn glow itself is achieved by mixing colicott brown and pearl. It looks a lot like Sapphire, except it is a bit paler and more brown and has blue eyes.

I haven't read much on it, but I'll try and read and see if there is any change in coat color with the seasons. I don't think there is, but I'll check.

Ok. Thanks. What about Shadow Blue Frost? Is that a hybrid too or just an arctic?
Do you know if there's any pure arctics that don't change color,like they stay a dark blue color all the time like the color on the Blue Frost hybrid?

That's wierd grays have no morphs. :shock: Is it not genetically possible for them to have other morphs or does the fur industry just want them to all stay grey for some reason? I would think there'd atleast be albinoistic(or whatever the word would be) or melanistic morphs, maybe even leucisist. I wonder why they don't breed for those.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:04 pm

I figured grays were not generally bred in the farms. They're kinda small and they look like they have kind of short coats compared to reds and arctics who seem to have very thick, fluffy coats. Just my assumption. I was surprised to hear that the book talked about grays at all.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 pm

A genetically based condition in which there is
an absence of guard hairs, known as “Samson”
condition, was described by Grinnell et al.
(1937). In the state of New York, an albinistic
gray fox was described (Shipherd and Stone
1974).
http://www.cfr.msstate.edu/wildlife/mam ... rayfox.pdf

I can see why they wouldn't breed other colors in gray since they have red for that. I think gray when farmed would just be for the wild color.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:17 pm

@Alynn: Does the book have coyote coat colors too? Aren't they sometimes used as fur animals? The book might not have them though because they are north american furbearers so I don't know if they breed them in europe or not. Also, you mentioned raccoon dogs were in the book as well as foxes. Do the raccoon dogs have a lot of diferent morphs too?

Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Oops, sorry guys. Dx Forgot about this thread there for a bit.
I'm not at home, but I'll check your questions in the book when I do.

No, coyotes don't have their own chapter, but I'm not sure if they are mentioned.
As far as I know Raccoon dogs don't have nearly as many as foxes, all I can remember is a regular color and leusitic, but I'll have to double check.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Alynn wrote:Oops, sorry guys. Dx Forgot about this thread there for a bit.
I'm not at home, but I'll check your questions in the book when I do.

No, coyotes don't have their own chapter, but I'm not sure if they are mentioned.
As far as I know Raccoon dogs don't have nearly as many as foxes, all I can remember is a regular color and leusitic, but I'll have to double check.

How many do red foxes have? So far on the internet I've found photos of 54 morphs:
1.Sapphire Blue
2.Arctic Marble
3. Pastel
4. Pearl
5.Standard Silver
6.Red Marble/Sun Glow Red
7.Common Cross Fox
8.Marble Cross
9.Pearl Cross
10.Glacier
11. Amber
12. Platinum
13. Platinum Cross/Calico(what Dave/Tiny Tracks seems to call them)
14. Red Pearl
15. Red Platinum
16. Silver Whitemark
17. Moonglow
18. Amber Whitemark
19. Pink Champagne
20. Gold Whitemark(I think. I'm not sure if it is or not).
21.Fire and Ice
22.Silver Pearl
23. White Marble
24. Burgundy
25. Ringneck(the ones that look like border collies. Lol. XD)
26.Cinnamon
27.Silver Cross
28.Colicott
29. Red Whitemark
31. Albino
32. Georgian White
33. White
34. Golden Sunrise
35. Sapphire Golden Sunrise
36. Smokey Red
37. Smokey Red x Gold Cross
38.Golden Silver Cross
39. Lavender
40. Alaskan Silver
41. Black Fox
42. Sunglow White
43. Sunglow Gold
44. Gold Platinum
45. Arctic Marble White
46. Substandard Silver
47. Subalaskan Silver
48.Double Silver
49. Alaskan Cross/ Gold Cross
50.Mansfield Pearl
51. Gold Fox

plus the ones I couldn't find any pictures of:
52.Snowglow, 53.Dawn Glow, 54.Fawn Glow, 55.Burgundy Marble, 56. Pearl Gold,57. Sapphire

Are there any other colors or patterns I'm missing from my list?

Taigafox

Postby Taigafox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Snowglow fox is my favorite colour morph
http://www.pokupkalux.ru/article/klassi ... lis_2.html
(see sixth picture)
Adorable!!!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:05 pm

That's gorgeous! I wonder if that's the same as the fire and ice that Dave has? It looks very similar (just more fluffy than the one fire and ice photo I've seen). The fire and ice is one of my favorites, and I've never heard of the snowglow before.
If they're not the same, I have a new favorite and I wanna know where to get one. :lol: If they are, I want a fire and ice whenever I have a place for a red. (I still want a swift first though)
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Oh wow. Thanks for the link. Can you translate the other names on the site for me please? I tried to use google translate but the translation was very bad as shown by this hilarious line:
Silver fox - a product of crossing the common red fox and mutated forms of South American birds.
. In addition, they are calling both of the top foxes silver when it appears that there's supposed to be some kind of difference in the names. And Snow Glow is labeled Snow Fox while Whitemark is labled White-Fox. What kind of platinum fox is that? It's really pretty. It doesn't look like a silver platinum or red or gold platinum. (3rd picture)

Also, isn't their pearl fox a picture of an arctic fox? Do they come in pearl too?(4th picture)

And is that Sapphire Fox pictured(last photo) the same as the Sapphire blue or actually what the Sapphire red fox looks like? Or is it an arctic fox again?

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... ml&act=url
Last edited by caninesrock on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Oh man I laughed out loud at the "translated" line...
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:28 pm

the_unstable wrote:Oh man I laughed out loud at the "translated" line...

Lol. Me too. I didn't know whether to laugh or facepalm though. :monk-cop:

Return to “Housing, Breeding & genetics”