please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Pork and Beef

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pork and Beef

Postby Ash » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:54 pm

I always hear you shouldn't feed your fox pork because of the ash content, or feed beef because... beef is bad for foxes. But what is the real reason behind not feeding these things? I try to understand nutrition, but I'm not the best at it.

Thanks! Someone was asking me about these two meats, and I told them I really didn't know why they were discouraged, just that they were.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pork and Beef

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:37 pm

Beef and pork are red meat. Well, they claim pork isn't any more but it's still redder than chicken. Redder meats are more likely to cause gout, something foxes fed too much meat(like only meat instead of balanced whole prey with some veggies) can be prone too and vulpes species also had the highest uric acid levels in zoo canids so leaner whiter meats are better, to help prevent gout and less work for their organs. Both are also fattier and richer than chicken and rabbit.

Many foxes do not react well to beef and pork and that's the main reason it's a thing to warn people about but I gave some more science based issues first anyway. Ikigai got into the anteater food(beef based) before and it gave him the runs. Elina and others have said their foxes reacted badly to beef as well. If they like it and don't react badly a little now and then would be okay but many just don't do well with it. Seems their bodies are designed for less rich foods.

Some also worry about parasites with pork but if farm raised grocery store pork they are raised under regulations that make it safe but freezing first can make it safe anyway. I used to give my dogs raw pork quite a bit but it makes Beaker fatter than he is without it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:00 pm

Okay, thank you. That makes a lot more sense. I know it had been talked about here and there in the fox forums a little, but it's nice to have a solid answer for it.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:52 pm

I've seen this shared on facebook recently as a reason why dogs/foxes shouldn't be fed beef.

38814289_272479110199107_6762383779433545728_n.jpg
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:39 pm

I personally think the main reason people say not to feed beef and pork is because it's not something a fox naturally hunts in the wild.

If you trust the source of meat, I think it would be okay to feed it to your fox.

Return to “Health & Diet”