ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Baker's Yeast or Brewer's Yeast?

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

lavenderlilac

Baker's Yeast or Brewer's Yeast?

Postby lavenderlilac » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Baker's Yeast is what you use to make bread dough rise. It's sold in the grocery store.
Brewer's Yeast is used as a nutritional supplement and is sold in health food stores. It's also listed on some feline supplements.

These are definitions I got from a site:

Brewer's Yeast
Brewer's yeast is used to make beer. Because it is a rich source of B vitamins, protein and minerals such as chromium and selenium, it has also been grown to make specific nutritional supplements and has been used for years as a general nutritional supplement, according to the University of Maryland.
Baking Yeast
Baking yeast ferments sugars in flour or dough. Fermentation gives off carbon dioxide that becomes trapped in tiny bubbles and causes the dough to expand or rise, according to Yeastgenome.org. During baking, the yeast in the dough dies and the air pockets that are left give the baked product a soft, somewhat sponge-like texture.

I bought the baker's yeast when I first started making the gizmo diet but I thought I might be using the wrong thing since I'd seen more of brewer's yeast used as a supplement. I sent a couple of messages to ragtatter to try to be sure, but never got a response.
The baker's yeast I have is the little balls that smell kind of like beer and the brewer's yeast is a tan colored powder.
Does anyone know, for sure, which is the correct one I should be using? It uses a lot (3 tbs) so I want to be sure I'm giving her the right thing.
Thank you very much for any responses.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Baker's Yeast or Brewer's Yeast?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 am

I would only feed BREWER'S yeast sometimes known as nutritional yeast. This yeast has been killed. Bakers yeast is live yeast. Feeding a lot of live yeast could potentially cause problems like a yeast overgrowth in the gut(not fun). The only way bakers yeast would be okay is if you cook the food first to kill the yeast, like when you make bread.

PS do not feed live brewer's yeast either, meaning don't buy the live stuff from a wine shop, just buy the stuff from health food stores. They actually sell the nutritional yeast at the grocery store I shop at in bulk but you can find it pretty cheap online too.
lavenderlilac

Postby lavenderlilac » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:29 am

TamaduaGirl, thank you SO much for your response! I have felt this was what I should be using (and have been) but always feared, if I was wrong, I might be doing Lucy harm. I can’t tell you how much I respect your phenomenal knowledge and I am very grateful for your response!

I would have never known there was also a live brewer’s yeast. Thank you for alerting me to that. Also, I didn’t know they may have it at the grocer. I will look there also.

Do you think everyone, except me, just instinctively knew to use brewers instead of bakers in the gizmo diet?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 am

Thank you. I had to do a lot of research into nutrition to get the anteater diet right. I don't mind sharing what I've learned.

The nutritional brewer's yeast is basically wast from the wine/beer industry as the yeast is let after they ferment their products but is spent and they then further deactivate it to sell their waist as a nutritional supplement. You wont run into the live product most places but it's good to mention it just in case. If someone did home brewing they would have the live stuff on hand and might not know, though I believe the live stuff costs more.

I would hope most people knew but you never know some people do just do what they read. I don't know if most grocery stores will but where I do most of my shopping does have it which is very convenient.
SFig

Postby SFig » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:23 am

I actually didn't know that, either. Matt knew to use brewer's yeast, but didn't know that one was live and one wasn't.
Matt and Sam, owners of Batman (tuxedo cat), Marco (American Short Hair cat), and Bear (Bi-color Long hair cat)
Shinike

Postby Shinike » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:46 pm

Tamanduagirl, we have a friend who owns a meadery. Currently they are using the spent yeast to make the pizza dough for the pizzas they serve to go with the mead. Is there a way to deactivate this spent yeast and use it? Just wondering.
Trying to do as much research as we can before we make a commitment to another family member and I want to make sure I have sufficient resources to meat their needs. Also, I know the diet mention uses salmon.. I am allergic to fish in most any form. What specifically is it providing to the diet so I can try looking for alternatives. I am sort of attached to this activity called breathing.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Shinike wrote:Tamanduagirl, we have a friend who owns a meadery. Currently they are using the spent yeast to make the pizza dough for the pizzas they serve to go with the mead. Is there a way to deactivate this spent yeast and use it? Just wondering.
Trying to do as much research as we can before we make a commitment to another family member and I want to make sure I have sufficient resources to meat their needs. Also, I know the diet mention uses salmon.. I am allergic to fish in most any form. What specifically is it providing to the diet so I can try looking for alternatives. I am sort of attached to this activity called breathing.

For the most part the salmon would provide healthy omega oils. EPA/DHA oil and some omega threes are ideal. EPA and DHA are fish oil but with the best stuff separated out as much as possible and are in capsules. I use NOW brand and buy each though each still has some of the other still in it. Hyzzie gets it to help with her brain and liver. If you are too allergic to risk touching the capsules then I'm not sure how else to get the EPA/DHA but maybe there is a vegetarian option I am unaware of. Oh there is krill oil but not sure if a crustation would be safe for you. But you can get omega 3 from flax or flax seed oil, hemp, hemp oil or hemp hearts. Hemp hearts also have lots of minerals and vitamins. Chia seeds are good too but you should grind and soak them first. Pua eats soaked Chia seeds as snack but they come through undigested so they are ground up when mixed with her food so she actually gets the nutrition. But she just loves the soaked whole chia seeds so they make a nice low cal snack.

You can boil the yeast or bake it. It needs to be 120 degrees throughout for at least 5 minutes.
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Que? I brew mead... I have found that bread yeast and brewer's yeast perform equally well (for mead and rum that is). However both are a live organism. Yeast eats sugar produces alcohol and off gases CO2 as waste products. Yeast dies or goes dormant from being baked, consuming all foods until the alcohol kills it, being frozen or killed off by chemical additives, say to wine for ex.
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:52 pm

My experiments with recycling yest have been mixed. By saving old yeast and adding new nutrients you can keep it going for more batches of bread or alcohol, however the odds of the product becoming tainted with an impurity with puts off a fowl taste/color like mold goes up exponentially.

Return to “Health & Diet”