ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Weaning

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Jess2569

Weaning

Postby Jess2569 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:51 am

Hi all,

At which age do you recommend I reduce the milk formula I have been feeding my babies? I have a read a few different opinions online and thought I would be better off asking you guys! :help:

Should I expect any difficulties during this process? At the moment they are being fed every 5-6 hours 20ml of formula and a small serving of starter mousse provided by the vet.

Thanks in advance icon-smile
dragonking

Re: Weaning

Postby dragonking » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:09 am

Not sure about fennecs, but from what I've read breeders tend to start weaning 5-6 weeks.
Jess2569

Postby Jess2569 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:22 am

That sound's about right based on some information I have read but wanted to double check. Will they miss/crave the milk? When my babies are hungry they try and suckle from me!
dragonking

Postby dragonking » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:11 am

Most animals really don't want milk after being weaned. Humans are pretty much the only animal that'll keep drinking it as we grow up.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:45 pm

No, fennecs take longer to wean. Most breeders don't let them go until 9 weeks of age to their new homes--TamanduaGirl would know better about fennecs than I would. The 5-6 weeks is for reds, arctics, and grays. Fennecs take longer.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Jess2569

Postby Jess2569 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:19 am

That's interesting, Nala and Zara are only 4 weeks, I will drop her a message, thanks for that!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Yeah most breeders wont sell fennec kits before fully weaned 8-10 weeks. Weaning is a process though so you can start offering a bit of food as early as 5 weeks(so you're guys are early if that's what the "mousse" is) and slowly move them off of milk and onto food. So like first week just offer a bit of food milk mix but still give them all their bottles. The main reason breeders don't sell fennec kits on the bottle is they are at very high risk of aspirating their formula compared to other foxes, kittens, puppies etc. when fed from a bottle. Adding just a bit of baby cereal to the formula so it is thicker and comes out slower can help prevent that.

If they are getting everything from bowls already then just slowly up the amount of food to the mix and decrease the milk over the next few weeks. Also you can start offering other things on the side.

Elina would be even better to talk to since she's raised a few litters. I've just learned over many years in the fennec community(when there was more of one with breeders and owners sharing info)

Return to “Health & Diet”