HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

Water

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Jess2569

Water

Postby Jess2569 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:58 am

Hi everyone,
When will Nala and Zara be interested in water? They are around 5 weeks old. They still can’t manage to drink it out the bowl yet, should I be bottle feeding them water? They don’t seem that interested at all.
:shrug:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Water

Postby pat » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:07 am

if you they are still on the bottle, then yes, give them a little water in a bottle.

if they are weaned, you can try to dilute their milk with water. or, you can try putting a little of their favorite food in a small bowl of water. or mix a little honey in the water.

I don't know much about fennecs, but, I would think they should be getting a little water.
overall, I don't think it will hurt with just their milk for a little while longer.
since the milk replacement has water in it, I would think that is OK.
but, in time, they don't need the milk.

all my foxes were weaned at 4 weeks. they didn't drink milk at 4 weeks. but, mine are reds

the other members will chime in on this with their thoughts.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:43 pm

As mentioned in your other post, fennecs take a lot longer to wean. Right now they're probably getting plenty of water from the formula. Until they start taking solids and you stop the formula, I personally wouldn't be concerned if they weren't drinking water.

They're still peeing, right? So they should be fine. It never hurts to offer water, but at this stage the formula probably takes care of their hydration needs.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:47 pm

What Ash said. And I would not water down the formula since fennec kits are so prone to aspirating as it is and that will just make the risk worse. In fact most breeders thicken it a bit by adding baby cereal. Fennecs are desert animals as well. They are designed to make good use of little water and get their water from their food. So you shouldn't be alarmed if adults don't drink much or the kits not interested in water since there is plenty of water in the milk. They would not be drinking anything but milk if they were a int eh desert in a den with their mom.

To get them to learn to drink from a bowl though you can put their formula in a bowl but keep bottle feeding too till they get the hang of it. Once they have the hang of it you can start mixing some soft food into the milk in the bowl and then they may start drinking water as the formula becomes less.
Jess2569

Postby Jess2569 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:30 am

Thanks everyone. They are still taking the bottle, so I guess that is keeping them hydrated as they are still peeing normally. I have put water in the water bowl, but they are scared of the bowl for some reason, funny little things. :roll: But they love the food bowls they have.
I will try add formula to the bowl to see how manage it!

Return to “Health & Diet”