PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Canned dog food for adult fox

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

zebrafox

Canned dog food for adult fox

Postby zebrafox » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:46 am

my 11 month old georgian white red fox Zoya is pretty picky and has a real sensitive stomach.
loves chicken hearts thankfully so that's a big part of the diet right now.
She's also getting some canned blue buffalo wilderness dog puppy food every day (She absolutely will not touch dry dog food)
http://www.chewy.com/dog/blue-buffalo-wilderness-turkey/dp/103631?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Blue%20Buffalo&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQiA99qnBRDnrYCkt4ClzZABEiQAvqPaLGM6ORdjVl80ERSiS2vT4RkxLI5g_MXzuBnIahgMZTYaAk_U8P8HAQ

2 questions:

1) taurine is listed in ingredients in the dry version of this same food, but not in the canned version. I'm assuming because the taurine from the meat in the food stays more "in tact" in the canned one so they dont need to supplement the ingredients with it and therefore dont put it on the label. Do you think that's the case?

2) As i mentioned, she's on the "puppy" formula and is 11 months. At what age do you think I should transition her to "adult" canned dog food, if ever? I had Anya on 100% raw for the last 2 years and wasnt using any commercial dog foods so I'm unsure about this bit.

Again this is not 100% of zoyas diet but a way to make sure she gets more well-rounded, essential nutrients in her diet.
I appreciate any tips on what would be the best canned dog food I could be incorporating (she really loves it and it seems to agree well with her digestion) and if it should be "puppy" or "adult".
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Canned dog food for adult fox

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:19 am

Write the company and ask how much taurine is in the canned. I've done this many times for specific nutrients with various companies and they are eager to share. Rarely will get an we have no idea answer and that should be considered a bad sign, IMO.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Hmm... Can you mix the wet food with the dry? It might be a good way to transition her over. It took Ifrit longer than it did with Fable, but after about a week, she was eating both the wet mixed with the dry.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Ok - thanks, yes I can write them and ask
in general though - should we be feeding the labels marked as Puppy or Adult to foxes over 1 year?

Ive tried mixing it in with the wet food, soaking it in chicken grease, soaking it in blood from the chicken hearts - anything to make it more appealing just so that she *starts* eating it, but she absolutely refuses and doesnt seem to think it's food at all. she will eat everything out of the bowl thats not kibble, even lick everything off the kibbles, and then urinate on them (and she doesnt urinate on anything else like that!)

I could keep trying on with it though and certainly would if I knew it was a lot better for her - but it's really unclear with the way it's labeled.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:25 pm

Hmm... Zoya seems prissy, lol. :lol:

Have you tried "starving her" onto some of the new food? Obviously not literally starving her, but make her hungry enough that maybe she'll eat what is offered. Like, don't feed her the night before, let her go through the night and partway through the day, and then offer some of the new stuff mixed with the wet food--from your hand. She may eat it then, especially if you're hand-feeding it to her.

It takes Fable a while to actually decide if what he sees before him is a new food item or not. For a while, he would not touch raw meat, or anything like that. It just... didn't compute. Zoya might be the same way--maybe she just doesn't see it as food yet? Even now if I offer Fable something 100% new, he just looks at me like, "the heck is this, mom?"
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Just a warning about blue buffalo, people have tried to get more specific information about their food in the past (This person feeds pretty much strictly canned for their cats), and Blue Buffalo refuses to provide 'proprietary' information
http://www.catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods

This person was trying to get information about the TNA (typical nutrient analysis)

Another person had similiar issues:
http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thre ... ent.76786/

They were mostly nitpicking over carbs and such so I don't know if you'd have a problem asking for taurine content.
I was able to find that they list having taurine in their cat food but iunno about their dog food.

Also foxes are pretty much fully developed by 11 months - sometimes large breed dogs are fed puppy food longer because they're still growing until they're almost 2 years old. I would say by 12 month's she's good - that's a standard for dogs and cats alike. And feeding puppy/kitten food too long may not be good just because I think they tend to be fattier?
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:53 pm

thanks again for all the replies
Ash i think you're right - I was used to Anya gobbling up anything new and not having to 'try" very hard to get her to eat anything. So with Zoya's pickiness (she really is a princess, you have no idea!) I think I've been giving up pretty quick and not pushing her at all. I will try your suggestions!

Alynn - thanks for answer to the age question. I didnt know if people kept foxes on the puppy formulas indefinitely or what.

Return to “Health & Diet”