PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

mazuri exotic canine?

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

linseylou

mazuri exotic canine?

Postby linseylou » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Ok so I think by now it's common knowledge that Oy could lose a few pounds and wouldn't miss them, so today he went to the vet for a checkup and nail trim and the vet recommended that I start him on mazuri exotic canine diet and cut most of his raw food out other than the occasional treat. She thinks this is a better more complete diet and will help us cut down on his calories so he can get down to a normal weight. Has anyone used mazuri before?
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Alynn

Re: mazuri exotic canine?

Postby Alynn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:49 pm

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=9760&p=95070&hilit=mazuri#p95070

It's not that great - it's produced by Purina which, as you might know, is currently facing lawsuits for their Beneful line of foods for possible poisoning because of the ingredients they use in that line of food. Not to say that all the food that Purina produces is dangerous, but I personally do not trust the company.

Vets also have a tendency to push kibble diets, because raw diets can be difficult to do correctly and can result in deficiencies, and therefore your average pet owner probably shouldn't be dabbling in feeding raw diets. While most kibbles aren't great, they generally have at least the basic needs of an animal.

What exactly are you feeding?

I fed mine a formulated raw diet for reds (Gizmo Burgers), decent quality dog food (Diamond Naturals) and Heartland Blends fox kibble. My arctic never had problems with that, and she's now fed high quality dog/cat food with veggie/egg/etc supplements as well as mice. She and her companion are both at healthy weights.

If you want to switch to a kibble, I'd switch to a high quality small dog food and just make sure they get enough taurine in whatever brand of food you feed (Merrick, for example, doesn't have taurine, despite being an otherwise good dog food.)
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:03 pm

He eats infinia brand dog food, which is high in protien, low in fat, and contains taurine; along with a Patty made from raw ground chicken, raw ground turkey, cooked salmon and tilapia, rice, and a decent variety of fruits and veggies along with a raw egg every couple of days. I think his weight issue is more due to him being lazy than his food intake but since the weather is getting nicer we plan on working on his laziness too.
You are forever responsible for what you've tamed, responsible pet ownership starts with you.
I share my life with 4 red foxes,2 raccoons, a couple human children, my hubby, dogs,and a snake
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Perhaps just cut him back to the kibble you're already feeding him. That sounds like a lot of food. I fed Miehiera about 2 cups of kibble a day, tops, when she was still on kibble.
I think an arctic fox only needs about 400 calories a day to subsist if I remember what I read correctly, maybe less. Somebody did a project on arctic fox nutrition here on the board awhile back but the link to their website is broken now.
linseylou

Postby linseylou » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:00 pm

I feed him around 1-2 cups of dry kibble, but not every day because I leave it until it's gone before adding, and the Patty that he gets its about the size of the palm of my hand and very thin so it's not quite as much as it seems when I describe it, it's got allot of ingredients but they are all mixed together and made into patties. I'm thinking I should ease up on the dry a bit and make the patties a tad smaller with less meat... the vet wants to cut him down to 250 calories a day

Return to “Health & Diet”