PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

"Toxoplasmosis Damien"?

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

vulpini

"Toxoplasmosis Damien"?

Postby vulpini » Tue May 26, 2015 11:07 pm

So one of the suggested pages on my facebook was the Nat. vulpes Welfare Society. (different wording so it doesn't show up on google search)

Anyways, they showed a picture of a fox either on a fur farm or in a live trap (live trap, I think), but it had sores and wounds on its head. Next to the "before" photos was a picture of two foxes playing happily, so I guess they rescued the fox by catching it in a live trap. Someone asked if the two foxes in the picture would be released together, or if they were too tame for release now, and the organization answered, "Both are suffering from a condition called Toxoplasmosis Damien so can't go back to the wild as the condition affects the brain and leaves them like a domestic dog, I hope this helps."

A quick search showed that, as far as I briefly saw, Google doesn't have anything on record called "toxoplasmosis damien." Is this an actual disease that affects foxes? I'm just curious to know, as I've certainly never heard about something that causes an animal to be like a domesticated dog :shrug:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Toxoplasmosis Damien"?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 26, 2015 11:26 pm

Members of Toxoplasmatinae subfamily known are Hammondia hammondi, Toxoplasma gondii, Neospora hughesi, Neospora caninum, Hammondia heydorni and Besnoitia. Toxoplasma gondii is the usual infection we would be talking about. It can cause neurological damage.
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Thu May 28, 2015 12:12 pm

They weren't calling a disease "Toxoplasmosis Damien", they were telling someone named Damien that the disease is called Toxoplasmosis.
vulpini

Postby vulpini » Thu May 28, 2015 12:42 pm

Oh my gosh I can't believe I missed that :wall: The lack of a comma confused me...

Okay, now I understand. Sorry about that :lol:

That is interesting that there is such a thing that causes an animal to be like a dog. I never knew that!
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Thu May 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Yup. :P Just a punctuation fail.

Gizmo actually came down with Toxoplasmosis about two years ago. I'll have to do a blog post on it. (No worries, he's fine.)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 28, 2015 1:13 pm

If they're tame it's from being handled and making them tame while they were treated though the toxo could have some to do with it as well. Basically diseases that damage the brain can dumb them down and make them seem tamer because they're less reactive. Another rehaber was saying foxes with hydrocephalus sometimes walk right up to people from the wild. It just depends on which part of the brain is damaged sometimes it could just as easily make them more aggressive. Like rabies everyone thinks of the mad dog but there is a dumb form of rabies too which is why you avoid handling wild mammals.

I know it's a really terrible thing if a wallaby gets Toxo. They loose their coordination and muscle control and it's usually fatal.

I suspect the tame was more from handling than the disease it's self in this case but it sounds better to say it's the toxo than we accidentally tamed them during treatment.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 29, 2015 4:09 pm

Ragtatter wrote:Yup. :P Just a punctuation fail.

Gizmo actually came down with Toxoplasmosis about two years ago. I'll have to do a blog post on it. (No worries, he's fine.)

I'm so glad he's okay. When you make that blog post, let us know. I don't know much about these types of things (diseases/viruses/etc) but I'm trying to learn more, and you are always so informative in your posts.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Health & Diet”