ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Odin is getting sick?

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Sammy

Odin is getting sick?

Postby Sammy » Sat May 30, 2015 1:36 pm

I got Odin about a week and a half ago, and he got all of his vaccinations before being shipped to me. He' about 7 1/2 weeks old, and a bit ago he started heaving out fluids with no food in it. I noticed the other male kit we still have has started urinating in their food, and figure that Odin could be getting sick from eating that when I don't notice it being contaminated... He spat this stuff up three times (no breaks in between, really) and then just started running around and playing like normal.

Do you think he's got a bug? He hasn't been outside in the grass yet, but he's been on the floor in Tractor Supply, so he hasn't eaten any grass to make him sick. I just don't want it to get worse without me having any idea, and the vet can't see us any time soon :/
Alynn

Re: Odin is getting sick?

Postby Alynn » Sat May 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Foxes are supposed to be 8 weeks to ship as far as I know. I also didn't give my kit her vaccines until she was 8 weeks old. They shouldn't get them earlier than 6, and that should only be a few vaccines, not a combination shot. But I'm not sure.

Anyway, my fox had somewhat of a sensitive stomach. She'd throw up once or twice and then run around - fluidy, foamy stuff. She was always fine.

I guess just keep an eye on him?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 30, 2015 9:55 pm

The 8 week mark is for dogs. Exotics can be shipped whenever they are considered weaned. ;)

The urine would not be making him throw up. It's just water--healthy water, lol. Plenty of animals drink their own urine, including my two foxies. So if he's throwing up, it's not going to be from that.

I personally suggest not to take any baby animal outside or to public places until they have had their first vaccinations. That is my preference, and that's what I encourage people to do.

Sometimes the babies do have sensitive stomachs. When Fable would throw up, it was never chunky. It was just kind of... thick fluid. Fable has a sensitive tummy too.

I don't want to recommend NOT taking them to a vet, because if you think something may be wrong, definitely, definitely, definitely go. But I personally would wait. If he's only done this three times, he may just be transitioning--stress could be getting to him. And he may just be a bit sensitive to new foods.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 30, 2015 10:12 pm

She described heaving out fluids with no foods. Sometimes at least in small dogs this happens from not eating often enough or drinking too much on an empty stomach and then being active.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 30, 2015 10:16 pm

How much/often do you see Odin eating/defecating? Is he getting enough food?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Sammy

Postby Sammy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. He hasn't spat up again, so I don't know... They eat soft food twice a day with hard puppy or kitten food mixed in, and in between those meals I make sure there's water and little bowls of hard food out. He's the chubbiest of them all, and he seems to be eating normally. I know that he gets hangry, so whenever he starts getting a little grumpy I'll put him near the food and water. I have to watch the three kits while they eat or they'll start taking over each others' food, so I know they're getting about an equal amount of food. And if anyone is worried about me taking him outside and getting him potentially sick, I have taken him into the grass in my yard a few times and into Tractor Supply once, so I'll stop doing that until he's a couple of weeks older.

I guess that maybe he got too excited or nervous, or maybe he hadn't eaten as much as usual that day. But he's fine now, so I guess I was worried over nothing :)

Return to “Health & Diet”