PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Genetic Defects in Red Foxes?

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

User avatar
Wiggles
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Genetic Defects in Red Foxes?

Postby Wiggles » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:51 pm

I've been reading up on the various red fox morphs, and I came across a few genetic defects that appear to be morph-related.

Here's the list that I have so far:
    Mansfield Pearl - Chediak-Hygashi syndrome (affects bloods ability to coagulate)
    Platinum - anemia; platinum x platinum results in 25% embryonic mortality
    Whitemark - anemia; whitemark x whitemark results in 25% embryonic mortality
Are there any other notable genetic defects that are linked to any of the red fox morphs?
User avatar
Alynn
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Genetic Defects in Red Foxes?

Postby Alynn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Georgian white also is lethal in homozygous condition. But it's such a rare coloration that we don't pay it any mind.

Other than that, not really. There's been claims that lighter colored foxes like champagnes can have problems with sun damage to their eyes, skin, etc. and have seizures, but I haven't found any sort of academic evidence to support this.

the CHS in Mansfield also is present in Sapphires (which are bred from Mansfields).
User avatar
Wiggles
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Genetic Defects in Red Foxes?

Postby Wiggles » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:51 pm

Alynn wrote:Georgian white also is lethal in homozygous condition. But it's such a rare coloration that we don't pay it any mind.

Other than that, not really. There's been claims that lighter colored foxes like champagnes can have problems with sun damage to their eyes, skin, etc. and have seizures, but I haven't found any sort of academic evidence to support this.

the CHS in Mansfield also is present in Sapphires (which are bred from Mansfields).

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to figure out which morphs to steer clear of as I'd rather not help perpetuate genetically deficient lines.
User avatar
Alynn
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Genetic Defects in Red Foxes?

Postby Alynn » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Platinum and whitemark are fine to get as long as you aren't breeding it with another platinum or whitemark. They're otherwise healthy foxes. It's just like double merle in dogs, really. Merle dogs themselves are generally healthy, it's the double dose the gene that causes a problem.

Mansfield and sapphire foxes are nonexistent in the pet trade anyway, so you're not going to find them.
User avatar
Wiggles
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Genetic Defects in Red Foxes?

Postby Wiggles » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:11 pm

Alynn wrote:Platinum and whitemark are fine to get as long as you aren't breeding it with another platinum or whitemark. They're otherwise healthy foxes. It's just like double merle in dogs, really. Merle dogs themselves are generally healthy, it's the double dose the gene that causes a problem.

Mansfield and sapphire foxes are nonexistent in the pet trade anyway, so you're not going to find them.

I was under the impression that platinums & whitemarks with anemia tend to not live a full healthy life?
User avatar
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7830
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Utah

Re: Genetic Defects in Red Foxes?

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:34 am

Platinum and whitemark are not prone to anemia and bleeding like Sapphire and Mansfield pearl are. They are healthy animals without any health issues. But, there are some things to note when breeding.

The white face series includes platinum, whitemark, ringneck, and Georgian white. They are dominant genes. When combined with itself or another color morph in this same group/series, the homozygous form is lethal.

That's the only thing platinum and whitemark have against them. So just don't breed your white-face fox to another white-face fox because that would result in losing 1/4 of the litter (the embryos are non-viable).
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
User avatar
Wiggles
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Genetic Defects in Red Foxes?

Postby Wiggles » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:30 am

Ash wrote:Platinum and whitemark are not prone to anemia and bleeding like Sapphire and Mansfield pearl are. They are healthy animals without any health issues. But, there are some things to note when breeding.

The white face series includes platinum, whitemark, ringneck, and Georgian white. They are dominant genes. When combined with itself or another color morph in this same group/series, the homozygous form is lethal.

That's the only thing platinum and whitemark have against them. So just don't breed your white-face fox to another white-face fox because that would result in losing 1/4 of the litter (the embryos are non-viable).


Good to know; I guess the information I got from a site (http://thefriendlyfox.webs.com/color-variations) regarding fox morphs is incorrect.

I already was aware of the issue with breeding platinum, whitemark, & other white face morphs to each other, so that was something that I had already planned on avoiding.
User avatar
Alynn
moderator
moderator
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Genetic Defects in Red Foxes?

Postby Alynn » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:26 pm

That site is quite incorrect in a lot of regards. Send me a message and I'll link you to a different color guide.
User avatar
Wiggles
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Genetic Defects in Red Foxes?

Postby Wiggles » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:44 pm

Alynn wrote:That site is quite incorrect in a lot of regards. Send me a message and I'll link you to a different color guide.

Sent you a message. I look forward to checking out that color guide. Thanks.

Return to “Health & Diet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest