please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Suggestions?

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Whisper

Suggestions?

Postby Whisper » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:31 pm

I finally got the chicken to put zorr on a meat diet icon-smile, but I really don't have any ideas about what else to put in it.
Also, are there any dog teeth cleaning chews I can give him?

I got the supplies, so I'll be posting about the agility course soon icon-smile
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Wiggles

Re: Suggestions?

Postby Wiggles » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:33 pm

Whisper wrote:I finally got the chicken to put zorr on a meat diet icon-smile, but I really don't have any ideas about what else to put in it.
Also, are there any dog teeth cleaning chews I can give him?

I got the supplies, so I'll be posting about the agility course soon icon-smile

I use the following foods when I make my red fox's food: chicken eggs and/or quail eggs, ground egg shells, salmon, green beans, ground anise seed, ground flaxseed, ground brown rice, chicken breast, chicken gizzards & hearts, chicken livers, and ground beef. I blend together the eggs, egg shells, salmon, and green beans, then I mix that with the ground anise seed, flaxseed, and brown rice before cooking that mixture. I then grind up & mix the chicken breast, chicken gizzards & hearts, chicken livers, and ground beef, then mix that with the cooked mixture. I'm constantly changing the recipe, though, as I'm always looking for ways to improve upon it while making it cheaper to make.

I give my red fox regular dog teeth cleaning chews; I'm not sure of the brand name off the top of my head.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:19 am

If you give raw meaty bones it can help clean the teeth.

If you're not into raw greenies are pretty good.

Avoid booda velvets. My dog Quasi used to love those then one day he puked up a huge solid hunk of small piece that fuzed back together in his stomach. That's a blockage waiting to happen. They said corn starch on the label but it's actually a plastic mix with some of that in them. Of course avoid anything you know is plastic like nyla bones.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:44 am

Wiggles, where do you get your meat?

TG, thanks for the info, I wish the companies would just be honest and put good things into their products): there is always some new product claiming to be healthy and quality, but most end up having recalls or bad ingredients anyway.

Do anybodies foxes like dog bones?
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:26 pm

Whisper wrote:Wiggles, where do you get your meat?

TG, thanks for the info, I wish the companies would just be honest and put good things into their products): there is always some new product claiming to be healthy and quality, but most end up having recalls or bad ingredients anyway.

Do anybodies foxes like dog bones?

I currently buy my meat at grocery stores, but I am in the process of pricing it out in bulk from local farms & butchers. In the meantime, it's possible to get everything at your local Walmart.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:32 pm

I'm getting mine from grocery stores now too, but I might check out a farm a recommended by a guy also buying chicken.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Whisper wrote:I'm getting mine from grocery stores now too, but I might check out a farm a recommended by a guy also buying chicken.

I'm hoping that these local places can help me out as I'd love to be able to make 100 lbs. of food for the cost of making 25 lbs. of food. I figure making use of muscular organ meats & cuts of meat that aren't preferred for humans will greatly help with that. Obtaining a bunch of uncooked beef fat would be great as well as I could then use that to add in fat as needed while using lean poultry & venison as the main meats instead of using ground beef.
TooManyPets

Postby TooManyPets » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Venison should be a great option if you can find that. Should save some serious $ while providing great healthy food.

Return to “Health & Diet”