PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Dropped/Weak pasterns in Arctic?

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

KingBells

Dropped/Weak pasterns in Arctic?

Postby KingBells » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Hello everyone!

I have a five month old female Arctic with dropped pasterns in the front. I spoke to my vet (can't take her in for a while yet - dog burst into skin issues and he had to go in) and she thinks it's a genetic defect (arg) but there's a good possibility she'll grow out of it, or it'll at least improve a good bit.

She has no issues running / jumping / pouncing, she climbs, she zooms, she pings, but her pasterns are uuuugly and have gotten gradually worse, but seem to be getting no better or no worse now. She looks like a show-bred German Shepherd when she moves because of it. She came from a less than reputable breeder (considered a BYB) here in Missouri so I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I'll try and get pictures but wiggly-bouncy fox and all.

She has a Dane sized wire kennel for eating/sleeping/guests over/etc. She has a litterbox (which she pees in!!) with woodchips, a plastic milk crate for climbing (and pooping through, I'm not complaining), and I'm working on setting up a way to elevate her food dish so she has to use her front legs more. I keep the floor completely covered so she's never on a slick surface. I try to keep her off the wood or linoleum flooring as much as possible and try to keep her on carpet / grass / dirt as much as I can. I'm also considering adding an indoor sandbox for the main purpose of digging, as I feel that would be good exercise to strengthen her pasterns.

We don't have an outdoor pen yet, it's been insanely hot here day and night and she has a super thick coat but has JUST started to FINALLY cool down so hopefully that'll get set up soon. It'll be small at first, but it'll allow her more freedom. I take her outside as much as possible, always supervised, on a long line so she can romp in the sun. She particularly enjoys trying to chase the chickens through the fence of the chicken run.

Her diet is:
1-2 Raw Chicken Drumstick (they're a bit small, depends on how hungry she is) OR 1 Chicken Leg Quarter (large)
Mixed veggies, peas, carrots, etc.
Mixed fruit, melon or apple most common
Maraschino cherry as a treat
1 chicken liver, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
1 raw egg, with shell, cracked, every other day

She always has access to Goodlife Chicken formula kitty kibble. It's not her favorite thing but she'll munch it. I also put a bit of kibble dusted with calcium powder in with this once a week. Access to fresh, clean water is 24/7 of course!

I'll be adding day-old chicks and mice a few times a week as well, since she is managing to munch her chicken bones very well. She usually eats about half of the bone, leaving the center portion

She has great firm poop, urine isn't TOO funky (kennel/litterbox is cleaned daily, blankets rotated every other day). She has a really lovely plush coat and her weight is great. So other than the pasterns, she's fantastic.

I've searched and searched and have yet to find anyone else experiencing this sort of problem. Thanks in advance everyone.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dropped/Weak pasterns in Arctic?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:40 pm

It's just called a wrist in the front leg of a canine ;) I'd switch to a high quality dog food instead of cat.

I know similar issues happen in the back legs from diet but there's usually some weakness too. They grow out of it with good diet. So either way she could likely grow out of it.
KingBells

Postby KingBells » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:48 pm

I was giving the kitty kibble for the taurine - would she be getting enough with her liver and chicken legs?

I'll see what my local farm store has to offer as far as dog food, I know they have Taste of the Wild and some other grain-free foods I just don't know what formulas they stock.

She does get a wet dog food from time to time, it's grain free - Natural or Nature something, I think it's owned by Purina - if I run out of chicken and don't have time to get more for whatever reason. It makes her poop softer though, so I try to avoid it as much as possible.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:51 pm

Her taurine from the chicken is probably pretty good. Some dog foods have taurine in them now as it's been found some breeds do need it. They also sell taurine supplements if you feel the need. The problem is cat food has a much different vitamin and mineral ratios than what a canine, even a fox, needs. This can lead to MBD type problems. It's such a small percentage of her diet it's not likely the cause but can't be ruled out either and surely isn't helping.

Also foxes on cat food have gotten fat deposits where they shouldn't be, like in the yes, because it's much higher fat content than dog food, though that wasn't in arctics maybe they deal with fat batter as they likely get more naturally in the wild than other foxes.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:47 pm

You might want to look into the calcium:phosphorus ratio in her diet as well. A ratio around 1:1 to 1.5:1 is ideal if my memory serves me right; I'll have to check my fox diet book to be sure.

I feed my 6 month old marble red fox a homemade diet that I came up with, and I provide him with a bowl of Taste of the Wild dog food to graze on; he's been growing great without any signs of nutritional deficiency or excess from what I can see.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:03 am

poultry gizzards (hearts, liver) contain taurine. I buy bulk of chicken gizzards. I asked the butcher at giant eagle to order me
a box. it is about 25-30lb in a box. $1.00 a lb. lasts for over a month. currently, I have 3 foxes and 1 raccoon that eat it.

for one fox, one box would last longer for you. I freeze the gizzards, and take out a few packs at a time as needed.
they eat this everyday and love it. They also get a little Taste of the wild dry food. pressure cooked chicken and a raw egg a day. all three of my foxes are very healthy. my oldest fox is 11 years old and doing great.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
FrayWolf

Postby FrayWolf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:39 pm

You mentioned you bought your fox kit in Missouri? Do you know the breeder's contact information?
I had heard of a breeder that was in MO that was not reliable so you might want to check up on that
He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.
But I have made him my friend, and now he is unique to all the world... ❤︎

Return to “Health & Diet”