PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Runny Eyes

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

zebrafox

Runny Eyes

Postby zebrafox » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:44 pm

So you know how when dogs have a white coat, you see those red "tear stains" around their eyes sometimes?

Zoya, my georgian white russian domestic, has started to show those stains after moving her to an outside enclosure.

Was wondering if anyone else with white foxes (marble, arctic) have observed this, and if its indicative of a problem (like an allergy or infection).

Im going to be taking her to the vet shortly to get their opinion on it, but it never hurts to also check in with other fox owners with stuff like this.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Runny Eyes

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:48 pm

It does sound like allergies. One of the foxes where I interned had seasonal allergies, and his eyes would get some gunk in them with those tear stains. He needs drops in his eyes.

Would like to know what the vet says. But from what you described, it sounds similar to the fox I worked with. Hope everything turns out okay for Zoya!

That's exciting you put her in an outdoor enclosure. Does she like it a lot? Or is she a little weirded out by the change?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks for the Reply Ash!

I have a vet appointment tomorrow. I just wanted to start a discussion about it here - I will be posting the information about diagnosis & treatment so that others can use that knowledge as well.

Zoya definitely likes her enclosure. She adjusted really quickly.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:19 pm

zebrafox,

glad you mentioned that. I noticed that with Donnie(glazier fox) the last couple days. the first thing that came to mind is an infection, otherwise, he seems healthy :shrug: This is the first time I noticed this issue with him.

a few months ago, Donnie had an ear issue. took him to the vet, and the vet found a few puncture wounds in his ear.
but, he said, it was not from a bite. he was not sure. I asked elina about it, and she said, she had the same problem with one of her foxes, it was from mites. the sad part is, his ear will never stand up again. anyway, I thought maybe he had an infection again after seeing his eyes. however, my marble fox Daryl dont have any problems. I am hoping it is just allergies.

I too would like to know what your vet says.

would love to see some pictures of your fox.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Alright, vet suspects allergies
Prescribed a neo/poly/dex solution I apply in drop form into her eyes twice a day.
This ought to be fun :roll:

But she's healthy otherwise and her eyes look fine, not damaged or infected

Pat, in Michigan the frost is coming in a few weeks. When that happens, polllen count is drastically reduced and it would be evident at that point if allergies were the problem. I can't remember where you're at and if it freezes is your area though
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:54 pm

hope donnie has the same problem. it is getting colder here in Pa. mostly at night.

yep, good luck with the eye drops :lol: let me know how your fox is doing.

thank you for letting me know. I will wait for awhile with hope that is all it is.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:59 am

good luck with the drops as well.

Apparently this allergy season has been really bad. I normally don't have allergies or if I do I don't notice them, but I got hit really hard this season and starting in August. Samantha my setter mix also has been having allergies very bad. my mom blamed the food but I had switched her to a five-star grain-free food before I left, and she started getting her allergies really bad in the past month. Just had her taken into the vet on Monday, she's now on another anti-biotic, medicated shampoo, and had a shot of steroids and a prescription for steroids because she developed infections on her skin.

Burton (Miehiera's friend) seems to pretty consistently have teary eyes/tear stains. I'm also aware of another pale colored fox that also constantly has tear stains even in the winter. so hopefully it is just allergies and not a consistent issue.

Return to “Health & Diet”