PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Spaying, Vaccines, Microchip and Tattooing

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

CrazyLykaFox

Spaying, Vaccines, Microchip and Tattooing

Postby CrazyLykaFox » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Here is a picture of my girl... Any guesses as to age? Maybe 12-14 weeks? She has most of her teeth and is eating hard food with no issues.

My veterinarian is planning to spay her pretty soon and I definitely want to vaccinate and microchip her while she's asleep. I plan to use Imrab 1 (I'll do Imrab 3 next year per our protocol for cats and dogs) and a modified live Distemper, Parvo virus, Adenovirus, and Parainfluenza combo vaccine. Does anyone do bordetella? We will do a small belly tattoo signifying her spay, but I was curious about an ear tattoo for additional identification. Has anyone done this or recommend yes/no? If I were to do it, what should I tattoo? Her microchip number? A phone number? A word like 'Pet' or 'Tame'?

Thanks a ton, guys! =]
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spaying, Vaccines, Microchip and Tattooing

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:23 pm

I would say she does not look 12-14 weeks. More like 10 weeks. If she was 12 weeks old, she'd have been born in February, and that's a whole month earlier than the typical red fox. Just my thoughts. ;) She could very well be the age you suggest, she just doesn't look it to me.

I only vaccinate against rabies, distemper, and parvovirus. That's what my vet recommends for my area.

I personally don't think a tattoo for the spay is necessary, but you can do it if you want. It's more important for cats to have those types of tattoos. I would personally only do the microchip, and then have her wear a collar so if she escaped people would know she was a pet. But again, that's just me. It's up to you. I think if you do go with the ear tattoo, a phone number and name would be best. But I personally would just have that on her collar.

She's adorable... Congratulations. I love her big eyes!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
CrazyLykaFox

Postby CrazyLykaFox » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks! I'm not familiar with aging foxes at all. Lol. I know most are born in March. My clinic focuses on dogs/cats (I'm a veterinary technician) so I was guessing. I'm happy I was close! Thanks a bunch for your response. We have a prevalence of Leptospirosis here, so I'll probably do that too but I'll pass on Bordetella.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:12 pm

You're welcome! I hope her surgery goes well. :) Keep us updated on her progress.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Is there a killed or reccombinat vaccine for lepto? The issue is that in foxes and many other exotics is that modified live can sometimes give them the disease. A combo shot increases the chances. This is documented with distemper and a fennec died from toxo from a combo shot.

There isn't much choice for parvo since there is no longer a killed one and no reccombinant has made it to market. Personally I was considering the FPV reccombinant for my fennec since they are closely related and neither shot is designed for fox parvo which does exist. It should hopefully protect against all three. But most use parvocine and it's been okay so far.

If you must give a mod live do it single with a couple weeks spacing from other shots.

Fennec fox killed my mod live combo shot(toxo):http://www.jaaha.org/doi/abs/10.5326/0400501
CrazyLykaFox

Postby CrazyLykaFox » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 am

Hm... I will look into what is available for us to order at the clinic. We use modified live for DAPP and our Leptospirosis. Thankfully working there (and managing the ordering/inventory) give me the opportunity to look around. If it's on the market I can order it. Lol. My veterinarian worked at a few zoos prior to opening her practice and we were kinda just following their protocol for vaccines on their red foxes. I had definitely planned to look into a killed virus for distemper and parvo and only use the modified live combo if I couldn't find one. I hadn't really thought about the Leptospirosis, but I'll check into it and keep you guys updated! Thanks so much for the information!

Return to “Health & Diet”