ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Dewormer

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kaa

Dewormer

Postby Kaa » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:46 am

I'm planing on deworming my fox kit. Is there a certain dewormer to use or one to avoid? Or will any dewormer work for him?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dewormer

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:41 pm

I use heartguard, if that helps. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Yeah generally any typical dog wormer is fine, like panacur. You can use Revolution after and it not only prevents fleas but heart worms and many intestinal worms as well, oh and tick too.

Ash wrote:I use heartguard, if that helps. :)

Is there a version of that that does intestinal worms now? I've not used that since before we moved here. Revolution is nice because it's just one gentle on the animal chemical not a combo like a heart guard plus or something would be.

But yeah need a real wormer if ridding them of worms. Panacur is great for most things.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Just double-checked, I actually use Tri-Heart plus for my two. The names are similar, so I get them confused. Tri-Heart takes care of intestinal as well. It's Ivermectin.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Ah okay but yeah it's two drugs, ivermectin and pyrantel pamoate(often sold by it's self as the wormer Strongid). So an actual wormer. I'm sure it's safe but it is giving two drugs(actually pesticides) and not just one. I personally like to keep number low if I can. I have to be careful with wormers with Hyzzie since they can aggravate her colitis. Revolution prevents a wide range of things with just the one.

Revolution is just Selamectin. Ivermectin's younger safer cousin, even collies can use it. I even used it on Aurora safely when we thought her problem may be mites, oh yeah it does mites too. Used safely in many exotics even small sensitive ones like guinea pigs gentle but does the job. It works as a preventative though so if they already have adult worms then will need a real wormer to rid them. It'd be a good choice once the fox is wormed though to prevent them from then on.
Kaa

Postby Kaa » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:02 pm

Great, thanks for the quick replies.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:08 pm

So do I have this right:

Tri-Heart Plus uses 2 drugs, one for the heartworms (ivermectin) the other for intestinal (pyrantel pamoate).

But there are other wormers that use only 1 drug that gets rid of both heart and intestinal, and they are also safer?
CrazyLykaFox

Postby CrazyLykaFox » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:47 am

I would highly recommend taking a stool sample to your veterinarian. Even if they aren't an exotic vet they can check to see what parasites he might have. A broad spectrum dewormer is what I'd recommend. Like PPF. You can get that from your vet as well. You give your kit a dose now and then another dose two weeks later. If he has giardia or coccidia (both common in dogs, cats and wild animals) then you'll need a more specialized medication for protozoans. Once initially dewormed then you can start on a monthly dewormer like heartguard, sentinel, tri heart, etc. I would highly recommend starting him on monthly flea prevention as well, as fleas carry tapeworms. I use nexgard, as it is an oral sea cucumber enzyme rather than a chemical.

I work for a veterinaryveterinary clinic, so I'm happy to answer any further questions about specific products! =]

Return to “Health & Diet”