ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

How are carrots?

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aeroz

How are carrots?

Postby Aeroz » Fri May 13, 2016 11:18 am

Now my mother keeps giving my red fox baby carrots because she really likes them for some reason. But I was concerned because I have no idea if its healthy for her to eat them or not.
minervasden

Re: How are carrots?

Postby minervasden » Fri May 13, 2016 11:33 am

An occasional baby carrot as a treat is ok. If your mom is feeding them everyday or giving multiple at a time then you need to intervene. Freezing a piece of carrot in ice so your fox needs to work for it is actually a good enrichment idea to try. You'd want to do that outside or a place where melting ice wouldn't hurt the floor.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 13, 2016 3:39 pm

They LURVVVV carrots. At least mine do. As long as the rest of her diet is a complete fox diet, she will be okay. The problem with feeding too many carrots though is you'll start to see pieces of them in her feces, showing that stuff didn't get digested properly. This is an indication she is getting way too much fiber.

I like having carrots on hand to give as treats. I personally keep away from fruits, and offer veggies on occasion. Most of a red fox's diet should be composed of meat. Hope that helps. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Sat May 14, 2016 4:29 pm

Foxes love all sorts of food, carrots and other vegetables included. As mentioned above, too much of one thing is never good, so make sure the diet is balanced and your fox is getting the proper amounts of each kind of nutrient.

As a side-note, while carrots are very good as far as vitamins, when young rabbits are fed a lot of carrots they are prone to dying. Rabbits are very different then foxes, but it just shows too much of a good thing is bad. My cousin's rabbit died this way. : (
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Thu May 19, 2016 10:57 am

I don't know what's wrong with zorr, but he hates carrots :p

Rabbits under 6 months shouldn't have any treats, except maybe dandelion and plantain. It is just too strong for their little digestive systems.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 20, 2016 2:59 am

lol Try corn! Mine also go crazy for corn. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Fri May 20, 2016 10:08 am

I have some corn I was planning to cook this weekend, so I will see if he likes it (:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Yeah, check and see. I'll bet he will. :) Mine love to eat the entire thing--cob and all.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Fri May 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Wow! Cooked or raw?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Either or. They like it both ways.

Return to “Health & Diet”