PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Distributing Food/Water

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

IAmLincoln

Distributing Food/Water

Postby IAmLincoln » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:58 pm

I don't have a fox yet, I have a lot of time to decide many things,but as of now I'm leaning to red foxes.

I was wondering not what kind of a diet to feed them, but rather HOW to feed them. But i will also love to hear any diet information

I would like to know about haw often, how, and when to distribute food. How to do it so they don't become lazy and inactive. And how to prevent them from "marking it" with their urine. And on second thought I would love any info on What to feed too.

Thanks again to this site. :) and to whomever answers!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Distributing Food/Water

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:34 pm

I personally free-feed my red foxes. And farms do as well. So they have access to as much food as possible. I put their food in a big bowl and they munch at it and then get raw as well which I feed to them by hand instead (careful though, an excited fox bites hard when jumping for food and could really tear the skin).

For the water I'm lucky. Two out of thee of mine don't mark. So I just have the water in the heavy duty bowls and take a gallon of water out to refill them. My third fox though does mark her water AND empties it every time without fail. So for her I'm still trying to figure things out--probably an elevated water bowl would be best for her, though she broke the last elevated one, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
IAmLincoln

Postby IAmLincoln » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Ash wrote:I personally free-feed my red foxes. And farms do as well. So they have access to as much food as possible. I put their food in a big bowl and they munch at it and then get raw as well which I feed to them by hand instead (careful though, an excited fox bites hard when jumping for food and could really tear the skin).

For the water I'm lucky. Two out of thee of mine don't mark. So I just have the water in the heavy duty bowls and take a gallon of water out to refill them. My third fox though does mark her water AND empties it every time without fail. So for her I'm still trying to figure things out--probably an elevated water bowl would be best for her, though she broke the last elevated one, lol.

From what i know you must be lucky. Every red person I've ever talked to has said they mark their food, lol.
So I know in my question I asked to not hear about what you feed them but on second thought now im curious. What do your foxes have 24/7 access too? And as another question, do you feed supplements? If so what and hw often?

Thanks
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:22 pm

I feed my foxes Heartland Blend--a feed manufactured by a fox farmer in Nebraska. I leave that type of food out 24/7 and then bring them their raw food as well. Like rabbit, though I've been out of that for a while. No supplements for mine.

I will rephrase, 2/3 of mine do not mark their food when it's IN THE BOWL, lol. They'll carry it out of the bowl and then mark it. Haha. I am lucky though they don't potty/pee in the bowl, but now the third one is in with the other two and we'll see how well that bowl stays clean now, lol. Bet it will get all nasty and soggy, bleh.

I personally feel that most red foxes moderate how much and when they eat. When I have provided 24/7 access to feed, they have been happier and still stay slim during the summer. During the fall and winter you expect them to get a layer of fat and tons of fur. But mine stay lean. So why not give them as much as they want to cache? That's my view on it anyway. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
IAmLincoln

Postby IAmLincoln » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:31 pm

Ash wrote:I feed my foxes Heartland Blend--a feed manufactured by a fox farmer in Nebraska. I leave that type of food out 24/7 and then bring them their raw food as well. Like rabbit, though I've been out of that for a while. No supplements for mine.

I will rephrase, 2/3 of mine do not mark their food when it's IN THE BOWL, lol. They'll carry it out of the bowl and then mark it. Haha. I am lucky though they don't potty/pee in the bowl, but now the third one is in with the other two and we'll see how well that bowl stays clean now, lol. Bet it will get all nasty and soggy, bleh.

I personally feel that most red foxes moderate how much and when they eat. When I have provided 24/7 access to feed, they have been happier and still stay slim during the summer. During the fall and winter you expect them to get a layer of fat and tons of fur. But mine stay lean. So why not give them as much as they want to cache? That's my view on it anyway. ;)

I just looked at the heartland feed topic and it looks amazing. Very goo and affordable, but where does one go to buy some? Is there a website? I keep getting trail mix when i search it on Google some help there would be nice
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:27 pm

So to get it you have to pick it up in person at John's place in Nebraska. I'm considering distributing it, but the cost of shipping makes the price really, really high--like $80. That's how much it was when I got it from Dave and he didn't make a buck off of it but sold it at cost. That being said, a bag lasts a LONG time. So if you got two bags you'd be set for a while.
Vata Raven

Postby Vata Raven » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:33 am

As for water, you could set up a system that makes use of water nipples.

http://img.6deal.com/w29/x9/p100/by727_3.jpg
IAmLincoln

Postby IAmLincoln » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Ash wrote:So to get it you have to pick it up in person at John's place in Nebraska. I'm considering distributing it, but the cost of shipping makes the price really, really high--like $80. That's how much it was when I got it from Dave and he didn't make a buck off of it but sold it at cost. That being said, a bag lasts a LONG time. So if you got two bags you'd be set for a while.

That answers my questions for now thanks Also convenient that i like close to Nebraska, lol.

Thankyou a lot
IAmLincoln

Postby IAmLincoln » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Ash wrote:So to get it you have to pick it up in person at John's place in Nebraska. I'm considering distributing it, but the cost of shipping makes the price really, really high--like $80. That's how much it was when I got it from Dave and he didn't make a buck off of it but sold it at cost. That being said, a bag lasts a LONG time. So if you got two bags you'd be set for a while.

I know i said you answered everything...BUT Does this John's place have an address? Website? or phone number? Sorry for the long amount of questions but just uno more
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:51 pm

John owns a fur farm, so I don't want to give out his address unless you're ready to pick up food. He gets so much harassment. Send me a message when you're ready, and I can send you his contact info. You can also find it online if you search. But I don't feel comfortable giving it out for his safety.
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Hey Ash, is heartland blend better for the fox than Blue Buffalo Wilderness?? If it is, and If you ever decide to distribute, I'll gladly buy some bags :).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:28 pm

According to John, it is much better since manufactured specifically for foxes.
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:17 pm

Try selling it ground rate through UPS maybe? I sent a pretty heavy box across the country that way and it wasn't too terribly expensive. I think maybe 20 at most? And I'd definitely be willing to pay that much in shipping for fox feed and not have to drive across the country! :mrgreen:
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:13 pm

I'll have to check it out and see. :)

Return to “Health & Diet”