PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Red fox-Different Diet, Time of year?

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nekiko

Red fox-Different Diet, Time of year?

Postby Nekiko » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I was reading on Gizmo's diet page, and it stated
"Smaller foxes will need to have their portions adjusted accordingly, and intact females will have different dietary needs depending on the time of year."
While "smaller foxes" makes sense (as they would obviously need smaller portions and such), why would specific females need changes to diet specifically with the time of year? Also, what does "intact female" mean?
Vata Raven

Re: Red fox-Different Diet, Time of year?

Postby Vata Raven » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Intact would mean the animal has not been spayed or neutered.

Sorry, that's all I can answer from your inquiries.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Their hormones and metabolism are effected by the seasons. Spaying changes the hormones and a spayed female is more likely to gain weight, intact females might have larger weight fluctuations due to the season though due to more hormones but I think any gain is less likely to stay, but they may burn more than a payed one in the spring so need more food then.
Nekiko

Postby Nekiko » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:10 pm

So only the Spring is affected by this? I'm really uncertain about spaying, due to the mixed answers given in other posts by different members. While I do not plan on breeding, I'm kind of on the fence on it still.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:07 pm

There is a lot of variety of opinions on that but the majority seem to say it makes no real difference in foxes, especially from people who have both fixed and not as far as temperament. They are probably more likely to gain weight if fixed. In dog studies fixing also increases the chance of cancers and even shortens their average life by a couple years. I only got my dog fixed because he had prostate issues but now he's plump and his anxiety issues are worse. I have no plans to fix my fox(fennec) or any future dogs. Of course there are some species, like raccoons that have to be fixed, but foxes aren't one of them.

OT since you asked about reds but I'd really recommend anyone considering foxes for the first time look into gray. They have much better temperaments, potty habits, etc.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Oh back on topic one reason the diet might change seasonally is shedding. They have higher taurine/protein needs during that time, for either gender.
Nekiko

Postby Nekiko » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Tysm for the advice, and thanks for the recommendation of the gray foxes. I'll look into them too!
Even with the difficulty though, I believe I'd still want a red though

Return to “Health & Diet”