PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Seizures

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

KhalaFox

Seizures

Postby KhalaFox » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:50 pm

Does any of you know what can cause seizures in red foxes? My friend's fox died from a seizure last night. He's had seizures last year when he was about a year old, then for almost a whole year, he was perfectly healthy, no seizures at all. About two weeks ago,he had a seizure again. My friend talked to her vet and he told her that he could prescrib medication but it would destroy his kidneys and would ultimately kill him. Before she could make her decision, her fox passed away. He had all his shots and was healthy. He was on a good raw diet so I don't think the seizures were caused by a lack of taurine or Vitamin C. What could have caused the seizures and what can be done to prevent them?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Seizures

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:36 pm

Hmm... That's very sad. I'm sorry your friend lost their fox--especially in such a sudden way... :(

If not diet-related, then it could have been genetic. Do you know where she got her fox from?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Yes a good chance it was genetic. This is becoming more and more common in red/silver as well a arctics foxes due to indiscriminate breeding.
KhalaFox

Postby KhalaFox » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:34 am

She got her fox from a fur farm. I also think the seizures were due to his genetic. I've known a few foxes that had seizures and most of then died shortly after, they all came from fur farms. There isn't much to do if it's caused by genetics, huh?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:04 am

sorry to hear about the loss of your friends fox at such a young age icon-sad
as mentioned, I agree, it could be genetics.

I had a dog that use to take seizures. it was not a pretty site site to watch icon-sad
the vet did give him a script for it and it did help. however, he lived to be about 11 years old.
guess, the script 1 helped, my dog did die from liver problems. my dog was on those meds for about 4-5 years.

with a fox, not sure if the meds would work, they may of :shrug: but, the life span with meds may of kept him alive longer.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:11 pm

It seems that foxes coming from farms are having more issues than those coming from breeders--just my observation, which may be incorrect.

Again, sorry your friend lost her pet. That would be very hard.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Health & Diet”