PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Matted Tail

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Aluna

Matted Tail

Postby Aluna » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:54 am

Our fox had the most beautiful, soft, and bushy tail. I thought she was losing hair in her tail since I was surprised with a golden retriever puppy for my birthday (2 months ago) and she likes to get her tail. They love playing with each other. But last night when they were playing on the couch I was able to really touch her tail and realized she wasn’t losing hair it was matted in the spots where I thought she had lost hair. I’m not sure what to do. I know she will freak out if we try to comb it out and I don’t think we can even comb it out at this point. :icon-frown:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Matted Tail

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Some people have had the vet sedate them and cut the mats off. Ideally you want to sedate as little as possible so you'll want to take steps to prevent it happening again.
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:54 pm

I feel bad she hates going to the vet but I know she won’t let me cut them out. What kind of things should I do to prevent this from happening again?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Well if you can train her to let you brush her tail that would help. I mean a zoo trained a hyena to allow blood draws while awake you just need the right motivation and be persistent. So like special treats to just touch and pet her tail at first then step up to touching with a brush before actually starting to brush a little, like weeks in between each step most likely if she is opposed to tail touching.

Also since you said the puppy was mouthing his tail dog drool on the fur may have helped it mat so you may need to put a stop to that and clean the tail up and brush it after if it does happen.

Barring training you could try wrapping in a blanket with the tail out, hold tightly between your legs and brush that tail, depending on her fight level you may need help. This works great for medicating cats and I did similar when Ikigai had a limp as a kit so wrapped him with just one paw out to examine. Think it would be pretty stressful though so training will be the better option.
Aluna

Postby Aluna » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 pm

I will definitely try the training first thanks!! I definitely don’t want this to happen again. Her tail was so pretty before.

Return to “Health & Diet”