PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Vaccination Sheet?

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vaccination Sheet?

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:50 pm

I know what shots my fox needs. I want him to get distemper, parvo, and rabies--modified/killed of course. My vet is willing to give them, but he is a little nervous without having any official "confirmation."

Is there a sheet somewhere that I could print off with the list of vaccinations so that he can be put at ease? Or maybe if you guys would all back up what I'm saying, I can show him this thread. Then he would see that your foxes have received these vaccinations too and are healthy.

He'll get the shots regardless. I just think the vet would feel more comfortable hearing other views/opinions.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Re: Vaccination Sheet?

Postby Alynn » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Well, this is for fennec foxes, but I imagine some might work for a red.

"What Type of Vaccines Should They Get?
Vaccine Info: At this time there is no approved vaccines for the Fennec Fox. Use a killed or modified live virus vaccine. Distemper. Do not give live virus vaccines. Galaxy D (modified live virus). PureVax Ferret, is for ferrets but is chick cell (canary pox) oriented and is Not a modified live. It is manufactured by Merial.

Parvo. Galaxy Pv, (modified live virus)

Rabies. Imrab 3, killed virus. However, in Florida it is illegal to give a fox a rabies shot.

Heartworm. Heartguard or liquid ivomec is suitable for the Fennec. (Be sure it is not the kind for cattle with the extra medication for liver flukes)

Tape worms. Panacure and Droncit are approved for the Fennec."

Came off Wesley's website:
http://fennecfoxes.webs.com/apps/faq/

You could also give the vet Dave's number or call Dave yourself and see what he thinks?

Also, Michigan State University (one of the best vet schools in the country) works directly with the Potter Park zoo, which has two arctic foxes. You could maybe have your vet call them and see what they think, however bear in mind that they don't treat exotic animals as pets so they might not even vaccinate their animals at all.
http://cvm.msu.edu/hospital/welcome-hospital

I hope I helped. :x
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:18 am

Alynn wrote:Well, this is for fennec foxes, but I imagine some might work for a red.

"What Type of Vaccines Should They Get?
Vaccine Info: At this time there is no approved vaccines for the Fennec Fox. Use a killed or modified live virus vaccine. Distemper. Do not give live virus vaccines. Galaxy D (modified live virus). PureVax Ferret, is for ferrets but is chick cell (canary pox) oriented and is Not a modified live. It is manufactured by Merial.

Parvo. Galaxy Pv, (modified live virus)

Rabies. Imrab 3, killed virus. However, in Florida it is illegal to give a fox a rabies shot.

Heartworm. Heartguard or liquid ivomec is suitable for the Fennec. (Be sure it is not the kind for cattle with the extra medication for liver flukes)

Tape worms. Panacure and Droncit are approved for the Fennec."

Came off Wesley's website:
http://fennecfoxes.webs.com/apps/faq/

You could also give the vet Dave's number or call Dave yourself and see what he thinks?

Also, Michigan State University (one of the best vet schools in the country) works directly with the Potter Park zoo, which has two arctic foxes. You could maybe have your vet call them and see what they think, however bear in mind that they don't treat exotic animals as pets so they might not even vaccinate their animals at all.
http://cvm.msu.edu/hospital/welcome-hospital

I hope I helped. :x

It made me so happy to see people use the info on my site! And while that is great for Fennecs, I am not 100% sure with Reds as I have never owned one nor dealt with one. I know that some of them (like the ferret vaccines) are because Fennecs weigh so little. A Red or Arctic might need a higher dose or different vaccine. Sorry I could not be more help. :red-face:
jrod1989

Postby jrod1989 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:46 am

This is the vaccination schedule the Russian foxes follow from the sib fox website

Vaccination calendar:
1.      OKZ1 against salmonella, klebsiella and proteus infections at 2.5 months
2.      OKZ2 – 10-14 days after OKZ1
3.      Multikan-6 Combination vaccine - against plague, adenovirus infections, parvovirus and coronovirus enteritis, leptospirosis (dog’s) - 14 days after OKZ2
4.      Multican-4 Combination vaccine (Multican-6 without leptospirosis) –21 days after Multican-6
5.      Rabies – 21 days after Multikan-4
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:37 am

If your vet is nervous, why not do them yourself? You can order a single dose dog combo off of Jeffers. Its given under the skin, so you don't have to worry about that. Baby gets his shots, and vet is out of any liability. We do all our own yearlys and rabies for the exotics.

EDIT: You'd have to check on rabies; it is illegal in some states to give rabies vaccines yourself. Or, like in Florida, you can give it but it won't be accepted as done unless done by a vet.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks for the info! He didn't give Fable his shots yesterday--he just wanted to meet with me to confirm legalities. His appointment is on Monday.

Amyers--Really? I didn't know that. I may want to look into that before Monday and see. Thanks.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
tombraiderwes
Banned
Banned

Postby tombraiderwes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:43 pm

FL is weird about the rabies vaccination. I have been told by the person who issues permits they are illegal, but then that they are legal by another person in Fish and Wildlife. I think they are legal for non-native species only.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm not sure there is any state you can give a rabies shot yourself in. I think it's a federal thing. You should avoid Mod-live rabies at all costs and on the others if possible. There is a chance though fairly low of getting the disease from a mod live shot given exotics.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 pm

If your vet has conscerns you can have them call another vet. They can call the one I work at or they can call the exotic specialty vet here:
http://www.exoticpetvets.com/

There is some research showing fennec and grey foxes can be prone to distemper from giving modified live. That being said we use a modified live on red foxes where I work and we have never one time had a reaction, not even the kind that dogs can get sometimes (swollen face and short term vomiting).
For foxes that have outside pens (wich should be most if not all reds) the risk is worth taking because they get distemper and parvo so easily.
The rabies, in any animal should be killed virus. We use imrab.
fox_man37

Postby fox_man37 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:56 pm

The owner of Foxwood usually just gets the rabies and distemper for her foxes, so that's what I do with mine. She claims, though, that distemper is not really necessary for reds - she had a big problem with distemper in gray foxes a few years ago, which killed the grays she had, but none of the reds caught it! Personally, I wouldn't take the chance and would rather just get the rabies and distemper.

My one vet, who I brought Aurora to the most, said that I could probably get away with getting the shots every 3 years now for her. I used to do every year, but that was so stressful to her, and he felt that she's at a very low risk, given where she's kept, so why put her through that stress, especially now that she's older. Swiper will be seeing my newer vet this week, so I'll have to ask him what he thinks. (I feel fortunate to know 2 vets who take foxes!)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:42 pm

The vet actually called the vaccine-producing company and had them get him in contact with a vet who treated wildlife. She pretty much confirmed everything I said and you guys have said. Fable got his distemper and parvo shots today and was wormed. The vet wants to give him his rabies shot at 12 weeks.

The vet (who specialized in wildlife) said they pretty much only need distemper, parvo, and rabies and that they may not even need any depending on how they are kept. I imagine the list of vaccinations the RussianInstitute/sibfox provides may be a precaution since they're being shipped overseas.

Thanks for responding. Hopefully this post will help a lot of people looking to vaccinate their foxes.

The vet also said that silver foxes--due to the "abnormality" of their genes--are also at higher risk for contracting distemper from the vaccine. Don't know if that is true or not, but then maybe other colors of the red fox could be as well. I dunno though. The vet did say gray foxes were the most susceptible.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Distemper is a serious problem for fennecs as well if not vaccinate or if you give them the wrong one. They aren't "wildlife" though since exotic.
kikisagata

Postby kikisagata » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:25 pm

I no I'm a little late on this post, but are the same shots required for arctic foqxes? also, dos anyone know how effective the distemper virus is for them?
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:43 pm

I don't know much, but I've given Miehiera (my arctic) Canine Spectra 7, which vaccinates against "strains of Canine Distemper, Canine Adenovirus Types 2 (CAV-2), Canine Parainfluenza, and Canine Parvovirus Type 2b, propagated in cell line tissue cultures. The diluent is Canine Parvovirus Vaccine-Leptospira Canicola-Icterohaemorrhagiae Bacterin. The CAV-2 fraction cross-protects against respiratory infection caused by infectious canine hepatitis (CAV-1)."

She hasn't had any issues and I also ran it by my breeder before giving it to her. So I'm not sure if there's any problems with distemper or not.

So re reading this post, I'm wondering is it safe to give a canine distemper vaccine to a red/silver fox? When I read mypetfox.com she said that in order to safely give the distemper vaccine to a fox you need to use the ferret distemper vaccine. Or is that just fennecs and grays?
kikisagata

Postby kikisagata » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:19 pm

I suppose that's the real question. I remember trying to read a pdf on google about it. somone was studying it and who was studying the subject and that they disproved that theory a few years ago. I'm not entirely sure what he studies concluded since the file wasn't completely there. Im not sure cause I'm using android and maybe it's just non compatible. I typed " fox study and ferret distemper so you can try, maybe you'll be able to see it.

And thanks for your personal information with your arctic. I'm getting mine soon and I just wanted to make sure I didn't give it something I was trying to prevent.

~I also live in michigan. :)

Return to “Health & Diet”