PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Post here for food and snack ideas

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby pat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Nutritional discoveries of what your furry companions like to eat.

Ideas on homemade food, snacks or whatever your fox like to eat that is nutritional

or just tell us what you feed your foxes

Lets share some info on this subject...
Ragtatter

Re: Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby Ragtatter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Well, Gizmo (my red fox) loves peanuts.

I asked the vet, and he said that peanuts are a good snack so long as you don't over-do it.

Also, make sure your fox does not eat the shells; they can cause a blockage.

Heh, we give peanuts to our chinchillas in with their regular food mix, and one of the chinchillas, Eddie, doesn't like them. Gizmo will go over to Eddie's cage and whine and jabber. Eddie then goes over to the food-bowl, digs out a peanut, and drops it through the bars for Gizmo to eat.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Suki, my silver fox, likes whole un-cooked eggs right out of the chicken coop. I usually give her one, three to four times a week. She also likes any type of melon and whatever happens to be on my plate. If I'm not paying attention she will hop up grap a mouthful off my plate and take off before I even realize what had happened. She also like many vegetables like corn, peas, and asparagus but only carrots if they are cooked.
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
Ragtatter

Postby Ragtatter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Gizmo likes eggs too, but we give them to him hard-boiled and without the shell. He only gets one after his weekly bath.

Every now and then I use baby carrots for treats while training, but I cut them into fourths so they're small enough for him to crunch down quickly. He gets them raw and seems to like them very well. I haven't tried giving him cooked carrots. On the whole, though, I've noticed that he prefers to eat crunchy treats.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Suki also like cooked rice with a little bit of vegitable oil or raw egg on it. I cook the rice with a few pieces of dog or cat food in it and a hand ful of chopped vegitables.
~Mariah~
Tracie

Postby Tracie » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:08 pm

i don't know if foxes will like this but i put a little water sometimes in my dog food and it tastes like gravy for them. foxes mite like it :|
Current Critters: 1 Ferret, 2 dogs, 1 cat, about 40 fish, and 2 rats. Future goal: A fox.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Suki really really likes oranges. I don't know if this is normal but she really likes them. she also likes sour gummy worms, blueberries, and apples.
~Mariah~
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Sion gets the "gold plated" holistic dog fod I feed my Border Collies (Nature's Logic), cooked vegetables (he likes them all), raw meat, raw marow bones, wet dog food and a little wet cat food at times, a scrambled egg with veggies, ketchup & a dash of Cholula (hot sauce - LOVES it). Cottage cheese, some fruits, bits of cheese, mexican food AND damn NEAR EVERYTHING WE EAT.
My boyfriend says we have the most spoiled fox... he just might be right.

Oh - and he loves the "Bully Sticks" to chew on.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Here is a typical breakfast for my foxes (this plate is Trouble's). It consists of scrambled eggs with carrots and peas, plain yogurt (or the kind with fruit in it), and some low-fat buttered toast. I'll also make them pancakes (with berries in it), and oatmeal. For lunch they get some dogfood with a little veggie oil on it, and for dinner they get some cooked chicken (or turkey) and rice. I made a weekly schedule with what to feed them on what day. This way I know they get a nutritionally complete diet.
~Mariah~
ShyVulpine

Postby ShyVulpine » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:12 pm

You guys' have websites with your foxes? I LOVE Sion's color; I think more than the red variety. I like Gizmo's new icon picture too.

You guys feed your foxes anything live? Maybe not like mice, rabbits or chicks, but something lower on the food chain like live pond fish or something. I have this tray filled with peat moss where I keep superworms for my water dragon. Only responsibilty I have for those is to spray water on it and feed them and anyway I was walking with the tray and one worm managed to get out and my mini doby, Kato picked it up and ate it. Ewwww. Didn't think it would be that good, but he gobbled it up. I imagine foxes would love that stuff.Here is a typical breakfast for my foxes (this plate is Trouble's). It consists of scrambled eggs with carrots and peas, plain yogurt (or the kind with fruit in it), and some low-fat buttered toast. I'll also make them pancakes (with berries in it), and oatmeal. For lunch they get some dogfood with a little veggie oil on it, and for dinner they get some cooked chicken (or turkey) and rice. I made a weekly schedule with what to feed them on what day. This way I know they get a nutritionally complete diet.
Pets : tarantulas (6), Chinese water dragon, border collie/mix and a miniature doberman, 3 blue-and-gold macaws and a ringneck parakeet.
Future Goal : Collecting more tarantulas.
cheshire fox

Postby cheshire fox » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:16 pm

maybe, a fortune cookie.. every once in awhile

illida

Postby illida » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:17 pm

I don't have a fox but maybe merric or wellness dog food? I feed my cats that stuff and they LOVE it :kitty for snacks maybe apples bananas etc?
I currently own three kitties Corwin(8 months), Brophy(8 months), and Talouse (10 years) :)
pasttimefarm

Postby pasttimefarm » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:18 pm

suki'smom wrote:
I give mine cooked meats but never live food. They stalk the chickens and duck as it is.

I think i will have to agree.... I have too many other animals around. No need for Ms Vixen to realize where the meat comes from...haha.

I am curious though.... Vixen has discovered where the cat food is and now goes in and helps herself when she feels like it.... It is not healthy for a dog to live on cat food... what about a fox? My cats are not going to be happy about having to have their food "portioned" out to them as thay have always had what they want when they want. She has just started this today and i am concerned if i need to stop her
Past Time Farm
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Cat food is usually part of a fox's diet for many people who take care of foxes, since it is high in taurine (which foxes need a lot of). If you haven't already been feeding her something taurine rich, then I wouldn't be concerned and allow it. What are you feeding her right now, is she just on the bottle or?
pasttimefarm

Postby pasttimefarm » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:20 pm

I am feeding her a mixture of dry dog food, dry cat food and wet chunky dog food.. (both dry foods are of good quality) .I read of this mixture somewhere when I first acquired her. Do you know a recommended amount of taurine I should aim for?
Past Time Farm

Return to “Health & Diet”