PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Post here for food and snack ideas

When to spay, food, treats, illnesses, grooming, parasites, odor, Teeth, other care as it pertains to health, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

dragonking

Re: Post here for food and snack ideas

Postby dragonking » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:24 am

If I'm recalling this correctly, if you buy a full head of cabbage, the bit at the base of it that holds all the leaves, the root or head or something, isn't edible.

Other than that, the leaves themselves should be okay.
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:43 am

I know that much, it's not even edible for humans! xD So yes, i meant the leaves.
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:09 pm

A tiny bit would be okay but any of the cabbage like veggies like broccoli and such should be fed sparingly. It causes too much gas.
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:23 am

I could see why we wouldn't want that to happen!
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
BabyPearlCody

Postby BabyPearlCody » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:10 am

grasshopper treats are fun!
>)))> Best Wishes <(((<
Yorkie (Turns 6 July 6)
African Grey (15 yrs)
and more
Mystic

Postby Mystic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Kuugan likes all sorts of foods I wouldn't have expected. He's absolutely nuts for fruit, so much so I have to keep telling him that he can't be a vegetarian fox. Silly boy. He still likes and will eat meat (chicken, turkey, hamburger) and started showing interest in insect treats. He'll eat dry kibble but it's his least favorite thing. His favorites are dried cranberries and cherries (which I use as a training reward), fresh berries of all kinds - except blackberries, eggs in all forms, zucchini, applesauce, and mini marshmallows. He also thinks anything we drink is magical and he desperately wants a taste. They are so funny! :lol:
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:27 am

I saw that someone on FaceBook mentioned getting a kiddy pool and filling it with some shallow water and some feeder fish for a snack every so often. I was wondering if this was actually a safe thing to do as I hear that fish can be a touchy thing with foxes. If it's fine though then it seems like it would make for a neat and enriching summer time treat?

Could also perhaps put crickets, dubia roaches, or superworms in a dry pool or maybe even a live feeder rodent[If fine]? Also the reptile show I attend has started selling reptilinks and I was considering the possibility of trying them out for my two snakes and if they don't like it then the fox could have it if they're safe for them?
Leopard geckos 3.4 Ball pythons 1.1 Cats 1.2 Fox 1.0
The Household Geckos Tumblr
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:30 am

Don't count on a fox going after fish in water. foxes generally don't like water.
I personally wouldn't do that. I did it for my raccoons, however, my one raccoon would pull out feeder fish for his buddy fox,
but, the fox didn't seem to like it.

I am not saying not to try it, but, the water should be changed daily or 2 times a day. I personally change their water 2 times a day or as needed.

everyone seems to worry about getting all the exact proper nutritious food for their foxes.
I feed mine cooked chicken, a little grain-free dog food, raw eggs, raw chicken gizzards and sometimes raw chicken thigh bones.
my oldest fox is 12 years old and so far very healthy. my other two are a little younger, also pretty healthy.(maybe I shouldn't speak too soon :lol: ) all are doing fine with the food I feed them.

only my personal experience and preference. not saying this is the best diet out there, but, I think it works fine :shrug:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:47 pm

pat wrote:Don't count on a fox going after fish in water. foxes generally don't like water.
I personally wouldn't do that. I did it for my raccoons, however, my one raccoon would pull out feeder fish for his buddy fox,
but, the fox didn't seem to like it.

I am not saying not to try it, but, the water should be changed daily or 2 times a day. I personally change their water 2 times a day or as needed.

everyone seems to worry about getting all the exact proper nutritious food for their foxes.
I feed mine cooked chicken, a little grain-free dog food, raw eggs, raw chicken gizzards and sometimes raw chicken thigh bones.
my oldest fox is 12 years old and so far very healthy. my other two are a little younger, also pretty healthy.(maybe I shouldn't speak too soon :lol: ) all are doing fine with the food I feed them.

only my personal experience and preference. not saying this is the best diet out there, but, I think it works fine :shrug:

Well so long as the fish are safe to at least try, I'm willing to give it a shot and if it doesn't go well there's always the option to replace the water with some dirt for him to dig in or just give the pool to the dogs. Of course though it wouldn't be done frequently if successful.
Changing out the water also wouldn't be a problem since we have a hose that can reach around to where the pen is planned to be.
Leopard geckos 3.4 Ball pythons 1.1 Cats 1.2 Fox 1.0
The Household Geckos Tumblr
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:54 pm

my guess is your fox will prefer the dirt.

give it a try though, let us know how it works out.

the water hose that close to the pen is convenient. the spigot is in my foxes pen.
clean up and refresh water is much easier..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:02 pm

I've seen it done many times with fennecs. It should be safe as a rare treat since the fish are farm raised. The issue I know of is salmon poisoning disease. The known hosts are Salmonidae(salmon, trout and steal head), Cottidae, and Cyprinidae(which does include gold fish) and it's most deadly for canids(dogs and foxes) cats and some birds. Can be in fresh and ocean fish and while mostly said to be a west coat thing, there have been cases in other areas, Even Europe, maybe the fish migrated there after being infected. So you might want to use guppies or ask where your goldfish are sourced from, like to be sure they weren't raised in ponds in the west or something.

Another argument is specifically against feeding goldfish as a food source due to nutrition but as a rare treat it shouldn't cause harm. Here's info on why.
Goldfish are especially popular as feeder fish, being cheap and relatively large, but they are actually among the worst of all prey species. They are fatty and rich in a chemical called thiaminase, an enzyme that destroys the essential nutrient thiamine (also known as vitamin B1). Rosy red minnows, a popular alternative to goldfish, also contain a lot of fat and thiaminase. In the wild, any shortcomings with one prey item will be counterbalanced by the next.

Minnows I believe aren't in the family of effected fish for salmon poisoning so those could be a good alternative.

If you are concerned you can feed a food that day that is rich in B1 to make up for it like, beef, liver, oats, oranges, or eggs.

Return to “Health & Diet”