PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

White Tigers

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

NinaUrsus

White Tigers

Postby NinaUrsus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:39 pm

I've been informed there are no other big cat owners that are currently active on this site. Pitty. I've read a lot of misinformation about the health problems of White Tigers. My boy isn't inbred. I'm sure there is some inbreeding in his line, as there is with every single living human, if you go far enough back. I think it is so stupid that the AZA has banned the breeding of White Tigers, White Lions and King Cheetahs! I've heard "all White Tigers are cross-eyed even if they look normal". I'm sorry, but this is BS and my boy isn't cross-eyed and can see just fine! If he was cross-eyed, I think he would have trouble catching that rabbit I put in his pen. LOL I've seen one or two pictures of White Tigers online with malformations, but that is it. I've seen less than 10 individual White Tigers through pictures that have cross-eyes. I'm sure inbreeding goes on, just like it does with almost any other animal bred in captivity by people who have no regard for the animals. My boy has been checked for strabismus by the vet and he has absolutely no sign of it. My boy was one of the sample specimens used in the documentary and actual DNA testing of "American Tigers". He is 25% Bengal Tiger, 25% Siberian Tiger, 25% Indochinese Tiger, 12.5% Malayan Tiger and 12.5% South China Tiger. He definitely isn't "purebred". LOL I wish there were some other big cat owners on here! While the White Tiger may not be a seperate species, I would consider it a seperate breed. They do occur in the wild. At least they used to. They were once found in the wild. Honestly...I think the AR people like to spread a lot of rumors about White Tigers. It's also a huge myth that only Bengals can be White. Personally, I think White Tigers could do just fine in the wild where there is snowy terrain. I take serious offense when somebody claims that my White Tiger is inbred. It's simply just lies! He isn't a sickly animal like PETA or BCR would like you to think.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: White Tigers

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:33 pm

There was some inbreeding at first as there is for any new breed or colormorph but that is long past. Inbreeding in animals is different from humans and are not prone at the same dramatic effects, unless done excessively and when done excessively the biggest effect is infertility. Careful line breeding can actually help weed out hidden genetic illnesses.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:30 pm

You own a tiger? That's amazing, would love to see pics. How's his enclosure set up?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 am

There is some exaggerated purism that I really don't like, in AZA for example. But we already knew that. They think they are the elite and no one else is as good as them. These mutations occur in nature (no Dr Frankenstein created them in a lab), so why should it be against the rules to breed them? Ridiculous.

And ah yes, the common "they're inbred". Seems everyone on the internet knows white tigers are inbred, and they don't think for a second about how inbred the average purebred dog is.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Inbreeding is a serious problem. It concentrates their genes,both for "good" and "bad" traits. If white tigers occur naturally in a wild population, then white tigers are obviously not a separate breed. Is the AZA ban real or just on paper? Most inbreeding occurs in "domestic" situations where the entity choosing who to breed may not know what they are doing and can't know the long term consequences. In the wild inbreeding would compact the gene pool, making adaptations harder. Its my understanding that is what is happening with wild tigers, there aren't enough of them left for a sustainable gene pool. But I haven't looked into it specifically with tigers, my training as such was about the effects on domesticated cattle. I can understand scientists wanting to keep the different species of tigers pure in wild stock and to have pure stock in zoos or refugees so they could potentially be used to reinvigorate the wild. But for general purposes,hybrids aren't a problem. Your tiger isn't going to get loose and breed with wild tigers. Do you have your tigers' pedigree? i.e. ar the genetics of "pet" bred tigers kept track of?
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:49 am

The Aza ban (which other international ZAs, such as Biaza and EZA, also have) is enforced. Members cannot keep or breed them at all. I know of one facility in the Uk which has an exemption, they have a neutered ex-circus tiger
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”