PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Ligers: Unhealthy, Myth...?

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Ligers: Unhealthy, Myth...?

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:02 am

Everywhere I look, I see articles saying ligers are unhealthy... But then I came across this site, and it seems to disprove everything: http://ligerworld.com/ligers-and-health-problems.html

Does anyone know more about this?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ligers: Unhealthy, Myth...?

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:31 am

Many people disapprove of hybrids and therefore make it out to be cruel to make them. There are lots of people against hybrid snakes, and really, I see no problem. As far as I know, ligers are pretty healthy animals.

I think it's mainly that people are really against hybrids and look for everything that's wrong and crops up.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:00 am

That's good to hear. I know Big Cat Rescue is one of the people saying ligers are unhealthy, but I don't trust that place. :P
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:36 pm

Yeah just like white tigers. They are actually very healthy but AR types say otherwise. There was only very minimal inbreeding at the beginning but they can cross a white with orange and still get a white or two in the litter so there is no need for lots of in breeding and many have tracked the breeding so can actually prove there hasn't been.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Oh wow, I actually didn't know that! I don't really know much about tigers, so I only knew what I'd heard.
Do you know anything about how they get the "golden tabby" tigers? Those are my favorites.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Whoaaa white tigers too?!?!?! Wow, you can't trust ANY thing that comes out of those people's mouths!!! So ligers, white tigers, ... what about white lions? Same too I'm assuming.. LOL With tigons however, I have heard that it was so rare for them to live past 3 weeks that the entire Chinese zoo held it's breath when they had their tigon cubs.

ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:15 pm

I don't know as much about the golden tabby but they are newer. They are known to pop up randomly sometimes in white stripeless breedings. There has been some inbreeding because it is recessive genes and it is easiest to get more that way but careful and limited inbreeding is actually not bad. It's when people don't care and just inbreed to get color and aren't careful about it. There are several separate lines of goldens so a breeder could possible find two from separate lines and breed them. If for some reason you were to get one you could ask to see the pedigree as a good breeder would be keeping track.

With the whites I've heard and seen a lot more. One site used to have a list of the pedigrees and showed proof there how the breeders were not doing a bunch of inbreeding just a little in the beginning. This would be one of the most accurate still out there http://www.bhagavanantle.com/white_tiger_facts.html
You can see in the first line they inbreed quite a bit but then other unrelated lines popped up and there's been no need for that kind of inbreeding since.

As for tigons I think it may be that in general tigers are more difficult to breed and raise than lions so that may in fact be why they find tigons harder to raise than lions. I know there are not as many as ligers but it could be a mix of the above and not being as popular vs an major medical reasons due to the cross.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks for the info, TamundaGirl. I've learned a new lesson here, and it's to always take what AR groups say with a grain of salt. :mrgreen:

ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 pm

So I gathered up facts from ligerworld.com and made this "Myths Debunked" thing to combat that liger movie going around:

Ligers:

Myth #1:
Mortality rates for liger cubs are very high.

BUSTED: Mortality rates for tiger cubs are also very high. About 50% of all tiger cubs die after birth. On the other hand, a tigress in China gave birth to 12 liger cubs, and only two died.

Myth #2:
Tigresses have to go through c-sections in order to give birth to liger cubs.

BUSTED: In one study, both tiger and ligers weighed in at around 1.8 to 2 pounds at birth. Liger cubs do grow at a much faster rate than tigers, but at birth they are around the same size. There has never been a report of a tigress undergoing a c-section in order to give birth to ligers. (There especially has never been any reports of tigress deaths because of liger births). Just a few examples: Recently in Taiwan, 3 liger cubs were born and no c-section was done. The mother of the the famous Hercules and his three siblings (Zeus, Vulcan and Sinbad) did not undergo a c-section. Shasta, the longest lived liger ever documented (she lived to the ripe old age of 24), was also born without a c-section.

Myth #3: Ligers have short lifespans.

BUSTED: It is quite normal for ligers to live over the age of 15, and more than 80% of all ligers live over the age of 12. They have healthy, pain-free lives just like tigers and lions.

Myth #4: Ligers have weak hearts.

BUSTED: In a study, researchers went through the deaths of different ligers, and none were found to have died of heart failure. Moreover, none of said ligers even had heart problems of any kind; their hearts were perfectly normal.

Myth #5: Ligers continue to grow all their lives.

BUSTED: From the recorded growth patterns of ligers, it can be concluded that ligers do not grow all their lives. The growth inhibiting gene just means that the growth rate during the growing years of ligers is much faster as compared to the growth rates during the growing years of tigers and lions.

Myth #6: Ligers are confused and depressed.

BUSTED: This notion is completely silly and has no basis on facts whatsoever. Temperament-wise, ligers are said to be extremely social and noted for their especially mild, calm personalities (they are much calmer than either of their parents). They are not tigers nor lions, but they do not obsess about who they should be. That is an entirely human concept.

Myth #7: Ligers need a highly specialized diet.

BUSTED: Because of their large size, ligers need a lot of food, but as long as it's fresh raw meat (such as fed to lions and tigers), they do fine.

Myth #8: Because ligers do not occur in the wild, they do nothing for conservation.

BUSTED: Ligers, as animal ambassadors, have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to support international grass roots conservation of endangered species because they catch people's attention. This very issue is the sole reason AZA accredited zoos do not support liger breeding, not because they think ligers are unhealthy.

(Source: http://ligerworld.com/)

ImageImage
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:48 pm

I know I've talked a little bit about ligers being unhealthy and unethical before, but in truth I didn't have that much to back me up and would have thought more before speaking today.

Now I remain skeptical on both sides, I'm fine/neutral with ligers.

I have a very easy time believing that the inbreeding in white tigers only occured in the beginning - same with any recessive trait that we want to preserve. Many animal breeds were created exactly that way - an animal has a specific trait, then gets bred with their offspring to solidify the genes, and then those bred back to their parent, and etcetera, until you have a large enough gene pool. Not nice stuff. :/
But it is again only in the beginning, and true for so many domestic animal breeds and traits.

It wouldn't surprise me if the "white tigers are inbred" is a myth that AR-people spill out simply to make people oppose largely harmless things more and more and more.
The amount of people falling for one thing they read "somewhere on the internet" or "heard on TV" makes me want to shoot myself. (YouTube comments and Tumblr and news article comments... God have mercy on my soul...)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:09 pm

It is very possible that their dietary needs aren't well understood in the cases of reduced lifespan. The only problem I have with breeding for hybrids is that both tigers and lions are fast reaching the point of no return genetic wise,tigers have have already gotten there, so I would much rather see people breeding lions and/or tigers, simply to keep numbers from falling even more.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:40 pm

There's no demand for tigers in captivity though. Very few people can afford to take care of them, let alone own one legally. It would be one thing if they were in demand to breed a bunch, but people just don't want them. But people do tend to want ligers--so if there's a demand for ligers, it's better to breed ligers than it is to breed tigers.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”