ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Cost of Ligers?

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Cost of Ligers?

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:20 am

I doubt there are any breeders out there, but hypothetically if there were, how much do you think ligers would go for?

Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cost of Ligers?

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Not much. You could probably get a liger breeder to give you one for a tiny fee. I heard from Joe Schreibvogel (owner of GW exotic animal memorial park) that tiger cubs were going for about $400 in his area earlier this year.

There isn't a market for these types of animals, so they don't really cost much at all. Lions go for more, and tiger color variations can get pricey.

Many times people looking to sell tiger cubs are trying to get rid of them because nobody wants them. I imagine selling ligers would be the same. ;)

The cost of these animals comes from the enclosure. A tiger's setup costs around $10,000. They need a fair amount of space, lots of things to climb up on, and also a pool. Plus they need thicker gauge wire, so that ups the cost.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:28 pm

That's good to hear. ^^ Do you know of anyone who actually sells ligers?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:39 pm

I don't know if you're serious in getting a liger (or more), but I'm worried about the ethical issue of breeding them. :(

Being hybrids, they have two species, two mentalities in one body (lions are savannah-living pack animals that don't necessarily like water - tigers are solitary forest-dwellers that love to swim, for example). Hybridizing isn't right just because it's possible. It can create psychological problems and health issues.

Not to mention that breeding them is so selfish and unnecessary. They're only there because we people think they're cool and unique. The people breeding them could be using their resources breeding lions and tigers instead, real species that are really endangered, instead of trying to create new ones that have no place in nature, and do nothing for conservation.

This isn't AR or anti-exotic-ownership. It's just AW and anti-unnecessary breeding.
Get lions and/or tigers if you want and can take care of them, or rescue a liger if you can, but please reconsider supporting the breeding practices of them.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:52 pm

I think the concept of an animal being confused about who they should be is quite silly. It's sort of the same thing that people say about wolfdogs, which isn't true at all.

And I am seriously considering a liger, but way (wayy) in the future. I don't see why ligers shouldn't be bred, since most pets don't serve any bigger purpose than to be companions, and if I wasn't getting a liger I wouldn't be using that energy to conserve big cats anyway. ^^;

ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Animal welfare has nothing to do with hybridization unless the animal suffers because of it. And ligers don't.

Animal rights groups spread lies about ligers. They're actually quite healthy and they don't suffer. Ligers live good lives. The people who are breeding ligers are also usually breeding lions and tigers, so they don't really take away from conservation.

Nobody ever has a problem with people breeding to get mules, or savannah cats, or bengal cats, but for some reason people think breeding to get ligers is so unethical. It doesn't make much sense to me why one should be condemned and the others not.

Here's a topic about myths of ligers debunked. http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=10138

EDIT: In retrospect, if we want to keep discussing the controversy of hybrids, this should be done in the controversial forum.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Splashstorm wrote:That's good to hear. ^^ Do you know of anyone who actually sells ligers?

I don't, actually. I believe--if I'm remembering correctly--that there was one for sale in the Animal's Finders Guide, so that would mean there's a breeder. But I might just be imagining that I read that. I'll have to go back and look.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Animal welfare has nothing to do with hybridization unless the animal suffers because of it. And ligers don't.

:agreed:

Ligers are very healthy animals. There's no real reason why they shouldn't be responsibly bred just like any other animal.

EDIT: In retrospect, if we want to keep discussing the controversy of hybrids, this should be done in the controversial forum.

Sure, why not?

Ash wrote:I believe--if I'm remembering correctly--that there was one for sale in the Animal's Finders Guide, so that would mean there's a breeder. But I might just be imagining that I read that. I'll have to go back and look.

Okay, I hope it wasn't your imagination. >_<

On a different note, I saw this graph and I just thought I'd share:

ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:53 am

Joe Schreibvogel actually breeds ligers. You could work at GW Exotic Animal Memorial Park and maybe once you had enough experience you could be allowed to work with them.

Just thought you'd be interested to know there's at least one person out there. ;)
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:09 am

Thanks for getting that info! I'll definitely keep it in the back of my mind until the time for my liger draws near. =)

ImageImage
Lionsniper

Postby Lionsniper » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 pm

I believe Josip Marcan was the first to breed a liger in this country. I remember seeing Zeus in his circus act in NJ back in the 1980's. Josip is from Bosnia, a veterinarian turned circus trainer turned breeder of Bengal tigers in all of their color phases. I met Zeus in 1994 at his former circus compound in Deland, FL. You might be able to research ligers this way, Adriatic Attractions was the former name of Josip's entity, it has now been changed to Marcan's Preserve or something like this, located in the Panhandle of FL. He used to tour with Clyde Beatty Cole Bros. Circus but has been working big cats for decades, you can find black/white photos of him in his circus career. :peng:

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”