PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

jobs?

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

cj_0512

jobs?

Postby cj_0512 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Are there any sanctuaries/breeders in new york that have big cats and are hiring. I am extremely passionate about these amazing creatures and would like to gain some experience with them before obtaining one of my own. Thanks
-C.J.
kitaluna

Re: jobs?

Postby kitaluna » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Look at the job listings on AZA.org and AAZK.org. That is where most of the zoo jobs and internships are listed.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:10 pm

It can be difficult finding a sanctuary to volunteer at, especially if you're looking for hands-on experience. There are a lot of sanctuaries that are hands-off, but then there is also a good number that have hands-on work for those that have worked there long enough.

Joe Schreibvogel who owns GW Exotic Animal Memorial Park in Oklahoma knows quite a bit of people who run sanctuaries. Maybe send him a friend request on facebook and read what he says about lots of the different sanctuaries and friends he has; it can be a good networking opportunity. I know you're just 15, so a warning though if you decide to contact him: he's very opinionated and vocal, and is also very controversial; many don't agree with his personal views and he does use strong language a lot, so take that all into account. But from what I have seen he is a very nice guy who has a deep love for all animals and he always has promoted private ownership. So, just a thought.

Maybe also google and see if there are any sanctuaries in your state and see what you can do since you're a minor. If you find somewhere that needs volunteers, you might be able to help clean the cages or prepare food. Many places like that are always looking for volunteers, but your age may be a deterrent. Maybe try looking for facilities that don't necessarily have any large carnivores, but maybe some smaller mammals. Any experience is good experience. Even if your dream is to one day work with bears or large cats, starting with raccoons or foxes is a good start.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
cj_0512

Postby cj_0512 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Yeah I would love to "work" with big cats but I know that that wont happen until later in the future. I am kind of looking for any type of sanctuary that is a reasonable distance from my area considering I can't even drive yet. Any place that I could volunteer at to gain any kind of experience with animals.

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”