PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Why are some so common, some so rare?

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nìmwey

Why are some so common, some so rare?

Postby Nìmwey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:28 am

So, I read an article about cheetahs in captivity just now (http://melissaasmith.hubpages.com/hub/a ... t-cheetahs), and the thing was that it's practically impossible to get one privately (at least in the US, according to the article), because they're "so rare".

I'm seeing a lot about pet tigers in the US, and even South Africa and Brazil.
There also seems to be lots of privately kept lions in the US. Cougars now and then, leopards, occasionally.

But Jaguars and Cheetahs are pretty much unheard of. Is there any particular reason for this?
While both of them are endangered, both of them are also doing much better than the tiger in the wild. (Tiger is down to 2.300 wild individuals, cheetahs and jaguars ~15.000 each.)

Is it just historical accident, because tigers and lions got much more attention early on, or is it because they breed more easily in captivity? (Or something else entirely?)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why are some so common, some so rare?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Endangered species act you can't own anything on it for pet reasons and the license is near impossible to get and if you do get it you can't sell to anyone who isn't licensed. The act is supposed to help but it actually hurts by not allowing private owners.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:45 pm

I really have no idea, but I think that would probably be my guess is what your first thought was, that they were just common before laws were enacted. Still, it doesn't make a ton of sense and is frankly disappointing considering that cheetahs seem to do very well in captivity and are relatively docile. Then again I don't know much about any species.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:55 pm

It's mostly just the act since it restricts ownership greatly. Hybrids don't count so people can buy and sell and transport hybrid tigers, across state lines. Lions are not on the act(except the Asiatic), cougars are not on the act(except Eastern Puma). Cheetahs and jaguars are on the list.

Ocelots were very common before being listed on the act. The act killed off a large portion of the population because they were pets instead of in zoos.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:42 pm

According to articles I have read, cheetahs also aren't the best breeders. So that may have a little bit to do with it. But it's mostly the act that has gotten rid of those species in private hands.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:21 am

So then my question remains, why so many tigers? :P (Comparatively, anyway.)

I know about what it's like owning endangered species, however. I've had Lesser Sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua sulphurea) and Scarlet macaw, and both are CITES I-listed.

Three of the five most common cockatoos in the US, Goffin's, Moluccan and Lesser Sulphur-crested (the other two being Umbrella and Greater Sulphur-crested) are all CITES I-listed, but still I see people buying them from breeders and pet shops all the time, while here in Sweden (Europe?), it's absolutely illegal to trade in these species without strict permits, something I've never heard of on american bird forums.

I'm confused. (But sorry, that last thing was about birds, not cats. :P)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:41 pm

We are not talking CITEs we are talking the USF&W endanger species act which lists what species they consider endangered and control. Exotics on that list can not cross state lines unless both parties have the endangered species license. Natives can not even be owned without the endangered species license. Hybrids are not listed so most privately owned tigers are hybrids so not controlled by the act.

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”