https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Searching for exotics

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

SkyShaman

Searching for exotics

Postby SkyShaman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Hello, I am looking for one or two of the following:
White lion, White tiger, Golden strawberry tiger, Snow leopard, jaguar, Black jaguar (specifically the black jag http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc ... 76289i.jpg
If anyone has any information please inbox message me.

I can supply minimum housing space of 100sqm for them. As well as acres of roaming space.
Interested in young cubs.
Thanks, Sky.
WANTED!!!
Black Jaguar, White Tiger, Golden Strawberry Tiger, White Lion, Snow Leopard, Jaguar
Please message if you have sources!!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Searching for exotics

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Are you from the UK? Contacting brokers would probably be your best bet.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Thank you, I feel welcome. The vibe of this forum is nice, not many close minded people it seems.
I am currently in the US, but moving to Sweden in June.
I have been looking for breeders and dealers, but all have been scams. Could someone post or private message me these "brokers"?
WANTED!!!
Black Jaguar, White Tiger, Golden Strawberry Tiger, White Lion, Snow Leopard, Jaguar
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:45 pm

If you're moving overseas, then you won't be able to take those animals with you since they are not allowed to be exported. You would need to buy them once you're living in Sweden. The problem there though, is that supposedly Sweden has terrible exotic animal laws. We have a member from there who has mentioned how restrictive the laws are. You wouldn't be able to own them in Sweden.

I don't know of any brokers in Europe. We only have a few European members here, and maybe they know some.

I know other countries in Europe are more lax than others, while some can be extremely restrictive. In the UK, you would need a DWAL to own a dangerous animal--I'm not sure how to get the permit, but I've heard it's doable and rather reasonable.

We are also hesitant about providing the names of breeders of the animals you mentioned--mostly because this is the internet, and we don't know who is AR and who isn't. If you're in the US, research is best when it comes to locating breeders for the more "dangerous" species. Hope you understand--just trying to protect people from the crazies out there. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:12 pm

I am waiting until I move to Sweden to purchase them. I'm unsure on the Swedish laws and permits required to do this. Still doing research into that regard.

.. I see. I'm totally willing to discuss this through messaging, to supply proper information. I'm currently going to Sweden for schooling and business; will be there for 3-5 years, depending on how both avenues play out.

Also worth mentioning there are many ways and boarders to get around through sweden which could make things much easier.
WANTED!!!
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Yeah Sweden wont be letting you possess those animals I don't think. Perhaps our Swedish member will chime in shortly.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:02 pm

These are not the type of animals you get while moving around place to place. You should wait until you are settled down for good and for sure somewhere.
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:30 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:These are not the type of animals you get while moving around place to place. You should wait until you are settled down for good and for sure somewhere.

Hmm, even 5 years strait? The plan was to supply around 5+ acres for the animal.
After that, there was one more move to a larger area..
What ever is best for the animal. Even though moving him could be arranged.
WANTED!!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:56 pm

The choice is yours, of course, but keep in mind that moving an exotic cat is very stressful to them. A member here said that if she were forced to rehome her serval, she would rather put it down since they don't rehome well and get stressed easy. For exotic animals, change can be difficult.

Also keep in mind that if you're moving from country-to-country, you probably will not be able to take an exotic cat with you. Many countries (like the US) will not allow them to be imported/exported. So if you left Sweden to come back to the US, the cat would have to stay there.

Even with domestics it can be a big chore getting all the import/export paperwork sorted out.

That being said, I think you can definitely still realize your dream of owning one of these magnificent creatures, even if it isn't quite as soon as you hoped it would be. Ask as many questions as you want, and we'll try our best to answer them for ya. ;) Or even if you just want to chat about exotics in general, we're always up for that too.

Great to have another person interested in the big cats!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:04 pm

It's obviously been done but they really don't take to the change of moving very well and is extremely stressful for them. Since you know you will be moving again it is really best if you just wait until you are settled.
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Ash wrote:The choice is yours, of course, but keep in mind that moving an exotic cat is very stressful to them. A member here said that if she were forced to rehome her serval, she would rather put it down since they don't rehome well and get stressed easy. For exotic animals, change can be difficult.

Also keep in mind that if you're moving from country-to-country, you probably will not be able to take an exotic cat with you. Many countries (like the US) will not allow them to be imported/exported. So if you left Sweden to come back to the US, the cat would have to stay there.

Even with domestics it can be a big chore getting all the import/export paperwork sorted out.

That being said, I think you can definitely still realize your dream of owning one of these magnificent creatures, even if it isn't quite as soon as you hoped it would be. Ask as many questions as you want, and we'll try our best to answer them for ya. ;) Or even if you just want to chat about exotics in general, we're always up for that too.

Great to have another person interested in the big cats!

That is a lot to think about. Definitely the responsible choice is to sort all this out before getting one. I will see about the ability of importing/exporting after Sweden. A little too far ahead, but the next home would be Greece. Thats a no issue.

As previously stated, I am interested in 100% sure a Black Jaguar. Same color patterns as in my Avatar.
Then, if the opportunity introduced itself, few of the following: White tiger, Strawberry Gold tiger, White lion, Snow leopard, or maybe normal Jaguar.

I have seen each of these as "tame" companions, but are some naturally calmer/better fit than others?
Tigers are solitary, but that is primarily because of food competition. Lions probably are a good fit, but (Intending on a white male) I worry about the dominance issue. It seems jaguars are actually the most independent and unpredictable. The Snow leopard, I admit, I know least about them.
Keep in mind I (Intend) on NOT declawing or fixing the animals. Its my logic that because animals will be in heat at opposing alternate times, the dominance traits won't kick in quite as powerfully.

If I were to choose three animals, it would probably be the male back jaguar, and female white lion and female white or golden strawberry tiger; or male back jaguar and male white lion with female white or golden strawberry tiger.
A male white lion seems more fun because of the RIDICULOUS look of that MANE! But its sheer size COULD be an issue?

What do these beautiful creatures typically run for(price)?
An easy set up would be 100sqm. Though, I would like to have that much larger. If there was a roaming area of around 10+ acres, what would be the best way to contain them? perimeter wire with shock collar? Or can they be trained like a cohabiting dog to stay within boundaries??
WANTED!!!
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:48 pm

The things you listed would total way over 100k and in most places would require many hundreds of hours of contact time/training with the species before you could possess one.

Its a slow methodical thing to prepare yourself skill wise, facility wise, AND legal wise for the big and/or dangerous exotics. I think Europe is more strict with this kind of thing then the USA too.

If you are rich, you could buy a small zoo that already had some of these animals in their collection and the zoo staff with the required licenses for the animals there and ready to go for you.

Otherwise, you have to make yourself eligible to even legally have them, before (wasting) any dealer's or importer's time. In Florida, this takes over one thousand hours training...
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:02 pm

Something that you should probably do, is start small before leaping into something as big and dangerous as a jaguar. Look into servals and bobcats. Even after having kept a red fox for 3 years, and interned with other exotics prior, I do not even consider myself ready for a small exotic cat. They're a whole new ball game.

Also, while you wait, go ahead and do some more research on big cat husbandry. You can't keep an exotic cat contained with a shock collar at all. You must build an outdoor enclosure. The fencing must be a strong gauge, and around 12' high with a 45 degree inward slant at the top. Also hotwire along the top and bottom of the cage is a good idea because it'll dissuade them from messing with the fence.

A secondary perimeter fence may not be required, but I would highly suggest it when keeping anything potentially dangerous. This ensures that if your cat got out it would still be contained on the premises, and also ensures that nobody wanders onto your property by accident and antagonizes your animal. So for both human safety and the animal's safety, a perimeter fence is sort of a must when keeping the large exotics.

The caging will get expensive--so expect that. I've heard big cat owners say that for an exotic cat, $10,000 should be a minimum cost for a single enclosure for just one big cat. A perimeter fence is going to wind up costing even more depending on the amount you want to fence in--I'm putting up a 6' perimeter vinyl fence in my back yard this year, and it's going to cost around $9000 for the materials alone, not including labor.

Anyway, just some things to think about. The money issue is the struggle all exotic animal owners face, since these animals can get super expensive. Not to mention the cost to feed! Yikes.

As far as which species you've listed is easiest to work with, I can't tell you. I really have no idea--I've heard from some owners tigers are, then from others the leopards are better. Either way, they're all hard-to-keep animals that require an experienced owner. They really aren't a "learn on the job" type of animal. That's why most people start with the smaller cats and then move up from there. Supposedly cougars are very nice animals for those who already have some experience with the smaller cats.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:53 am

The forum has been inaccessible for me for a day so I haven't seen this until now. :p

Anyhow, yes, it's illegal to own any carnivore here except for domestic dogs (crosses with for example wolves or dingoes have to be at least F5, same goes for hybrid cats) and cats, ferrets and badgers.

Monkeys and predatory birds are illegal as well, plus any native European species. (All other animals are fine. Yes, all.)

To keep any of these animals, you'll need a zoo permit, which I believe (note believe, I don't have solid sources on this) includes having the animals on display to the public at least one day a year, and having a vet as "staff".

I would also love to have a Jaguar if I had the money and ability to make a suitable enclosure (and lived somewhere else, which I plan to do), but they seem to be impossible to find. Nowhere have I seen or heard of anyone having a pet Jaguar, except for some people in the US in the 70's, when there wasn't the same restrictions on trade and keeping of most animals.

White lions are also extremely rare, I doubt anyone other than zoos have them (there are two here in Sweden that I have seen myself), and if by strawberry tiger you mean the golden tabby, I think there are only about 30 of them in the world :s (though some are in private ownership). Snow leopards are also very endangered and rare.

But in any case, you won't be allowed to keep any of these in Sweden. :icon-frown: Not even a fennec fox would be legal here, or an F4 bengal cat.
Yes, stupid laws...
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:08 pm

Nìmwey wrote:The forum has been inaccessible for me for a day so I haven't seen this until now. :p
Same on my end. Just posted a response and it lagged me out.
Anyhow, yes, it's illegal to own any carnivore here except for domestic dogs (crosses with for example wolves or dingoes have to be at least F5, same goes for hybrid cats) and cats, ferrets and badgers.

Monkeys and predatory birds are illegal as well, plus any native European species. (All other animals are fine. Yes, all.)So its legal to own giraffes, elephants, rhinoceros, Galapagos tortoises, and (maybe) bears??? Haha wow what a ridiculous law...

To keep any of these animals, you'll need a zoo permit, which I believe (note believe, I don't have solid sources on this) includes having the animals on display to the public at least one day a year, and having a vet as "staff".To keep "illegal" animals like exotic cats you need to have a zoo permit?? What are the requirements for that? My partner is a veterinarian and we live together! Are there any Swedish links that specify further information on legality and permits?

I would also love to have a Jaguar if I had the money and ability to make a suitable enclosure (and lived somewhere else, which I plan to do), but they seem to be impossible to find. Nowhere have I seen or heard of anyone having a pet Jaguar, except for some people in the US in the 70's, when there wasn't the same restrictions on trade and keeping of most animals.

White lions are also extremely rare, I doubt anyone other than zoos have them (there are two here in Sweden that I have seen myself), and if by strawberry tiger you mean the golden tabby, I think there are only about 30 of them in the world :s (though some are in private ownership). Snow leopards are also very endangered and rare.
My friend from Kuwait told me it was at most 20k for a Jaguar (black), and 50k for a White Tiger. That sounded too high to me. As Jaguars are "NT".. I wounder if one went to South America, they could probably find a source?? That wouldn't be difficult either; the jaguar that is. The Shamans there will journey their spirits and selves into the jungle until they find a jaguar, and either fight one in life, or become one in spirit.
But in any case, you won't be allowed to keep any of these in Sweden. :icon-frown: Not even a fennec fox would be legal here, or an F4 bengal cat.
Yes, stupid laws...
Pretty ridiculous that some people seem to get a constant source of these amazing creatures, and STORE them in 10sqm cages... Yet those who want to supply acres of homeland, struggle to...
WANTED!!!

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”