PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Searching for exotics

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nìmwey

Re: Searching for exotics

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Yes, you can have all other animals, but not bears (of the ones you mentioned) as they are carnivores (members of the mammal group Carnivora, which is everything from wild canines and cats, to otters, seals, bears, hyenas, mongooses, civets, etc.).

Like I said, I don't know the details of "zoo permit". It would be easier to find if you could speak Swedish. I can look it up for you, but it's not easy so I can't promise any findings today. :icon-wink:

I don't know any price class for big cats, I've only seen this dealer in Russia (found the link on this forum): http://zoo-ekzo.ru/en
I know nothing about the legitmacy of that site though.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Jaguars are CITES I so it would be highly illegal to take one from the wild and near impossible to move one from country to country unless both parties are legal zoos and can jump through all the international hoops to prove it's for important conservation or scientific reasons.
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Has anyone ever used that site? The prices seem fair!
WANTED!!!
Black Jaguar, White Tiger, Golden Strawberry Tiger, White Lion, Snow Leopard, Jaguar
Please message if you have sources!!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:25 pm

SkyShaman wrote:Has anyone ever used that site? The prices seem fair!

You would have to live permanently in Russia if you were to buy one from them since they can't be transferred from country-to-country as TG mentioned.

No one we know of has worked with the brokers on that site. So it would be like going in blind, and you'd either find out they're legit in a good way, or in a bad way through being scammed. So it's risky business there, but anyone is welcome to take the chance. ;) I'd sure like to know if they're legit.

To be honest, the chances of getting a jaguar are extremely slim. You would have to jump through tons of hoops to get one since they are CITES I (means they can't be imported/exported from countries participating in CITES) and endangered (means they typically can't be owned by anyone other than accredited zoos).

Jaguars are never taken out of the wild anymore since they are now a protected species in their native habitats. So the only ones available are captive ones, and the private breeders who are fortunate enough to have them are probably either going to hold onto them, or give them to conservation facilities only.

But if you're deadset on owning these animals, the best way to do that is to base your life 100% on the legalities of owning them. And by that, I mean moving to a place where they are actually available and you would have an "easier" time getting. The US, UK, and Russia would probably be your best options in that regard, though it didn't sound like you were interested in living in those places. But if your dream really is to own one of these animals, then you would have to make the sacrifice of living somewhere you may not want to.

Experience with smaller cats is also a must. I think what would be most beneficial to you is if you started with a serval or bobcat first. You've never worked around these animals before, so the idea of jumping right to a jaguar is rather unrealistic. Not saying you can't reach your dream of owning one, but taking the proper, small steps is the way to go. ;) I have big, ambitious dreams myself, so I totally see where you're coming from.

This post was in no way meant to be discouraging. ;) I'd just really like to help you get where you want, and these are the steps you'd need to take.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanks guys! Yea, any swedish info sites would be great; My partner is fluent in Swedish.
Ok, Will definitely start small. Too bad Servals are illegal in Sweden.. Maybe a Swedish Lynx!
Area of living doesn't bother myself too badly. I could live where ever. So long as I enjoy the climate.

In a bit of a twist. (Purely out of curiosity) Has anyone owned a bear? I have wanted one longer than big cats, but their sheer size really troubled me. How are they "tame" wise, as "pets"? Anything like a big cat?
Would they have to be fixed??
Thanks for the help!
WANTED!!!
Black Jaguar, White Tiger, Golden Strawberry Tiger, White Lion, Snow Leopard, Jaguar
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Oh, for bears we actually have a bear forum. Pat, the site's owner, has two tame black bears and she has all sorts of stories about them. Her female black bear is named "Sybil" which is how this site got its name. She's very knowledgeable about them, and you can learn a lot from her. I believe she may also have a bear care sheet. :)

Yeah, it stinks that so many things are illegal in so many different places. :/ It's such a pain having to go through all the hoops, you know? But in the end, it's worth it and you'll have the peace of mind that the animal is safe and yours. Lynx can supposedly make great pets and are similar to bobcats. Both get about the same size too, though I think lynx have bigger paws and ear tufts.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:00 am

While doing the research into the Zoo permit (though not a LOT of progress) It doesn't seem like too much requirement. Basically regulations on enclosures and diagraphing them. Even less so if your zoo is open under 7 days a week.
WANTED!!!
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:37 am

Is it just historical accident that Jaguars got so hard to come by? I mean, there are probably 15000+ of them in the wild, while there are only 2300 tigers. Tigers must also be on CITES I, but I see them kept by tons of people in the US, and even in South Africa and Brazil. (Also some birds are CITES I, but extremely common pets in the US.)
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:20 am

What pets do you currently have Skyshaman and what experience do you have with dangerous animals?

I think its VERY helpful working your way up, with safe domestics to safe exotics and then beyond. You learn so much that way, that's what I've done and am doing.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Nìmwey wrote:Is it just historical accident that Jaguars got so hard to come by? I mean, there are probably 15000+ of them in the wild, while there are only 2300 tigers. Tigers must also be on CITES I, but I see them kept by tons of people in the US, and even in South Africa and Brazil. (Also some birds are CITES I, but extremely common pets in the US.)

Tigers are protected by subspecies. In the US, the subspecies have been mixed, so these "mutt" tigers are allowed to cross state lines and be owned privately. If you wanted to own a pure Bengal tiger, then the same rules that apply for endangered species would also apply.
SkyShaman

Postby SkyShaman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:54 pm

I have had many pets, a large assortment and have worked with many.
Cats, not so much. I'm going to start with a Swedish Lynx, then build up from there.
WANTED!!!
DaniJo21

Postby DaniJo21 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:49 am

Just browsing through the forums and came across this post - not necessarily replying to the OP, just more of an FYI. A friend and client we worked closely with in South Africa has had several white lions (cubs) that he has shipped throughout the world. He owns a wildlife export company (they take care of everything from finding the exact animal you want, building the transport crate to all of the paperwork - even going so far as flying with the animal to their destination). They built FANTASTIC lion crates (used wood instead of metal, of course) for my borzoi when we shipped them to the US. I can vouch for the entire company - owned by a fellow vet and fantastic, knowledgeable employees. I won't contact them unless it is a serious inquiry and you are in a place that you have everything set up to take the animal. I just wanted to put it out there that I *can* find you one if that is what you are REALLY looking for.

The pictures are of a few of the cubs I did health certificates for.
Attachments
563345_10100243032587806_1777083543_n.jpg
545933_10100243031175636_425256331_n.jpg
558897_10100243032148686_210536284_n.jpg
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 01, 2014 12:52 am

Cool thanks for the info and the photos.

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”