PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Need Info On How To Care For A Black Leopard

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Unknown93

Need Info On How To Care For A Black Leopard

Postby Unknown93 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:30 pm

hello,i found a pet store which sells wild animals and they said that they can sell me a black leopard if its available.
so,i wanted to ask before buying one about how to care for it properly.
also i am getting a black leopard because its the smaller cat compared to lions and tigers etc.
ofcourse a cheetah is more tameable but they are endangered and are notoriously hard too breed.
so that was out of the question.
and lions and tigers are too big.
also,apparently leopards can be trained to act like a domestic cat like in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaL5XR51tZ8

so,id really like to know how to raise it(what kind of milk etc to give the cub and what toys etc and everything else).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Info On How To Care For A Black Leopard

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:28 pm

I suggest learning from experts before attempting to keep any big cat. He's just showing the best parts in that video. FCF has courses. Looks like the next one may be in June.
http://www.felineconservation.org/progr ... ourses.htm
Unknown93

Postby Unknown93 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:50 pm

yeah,here is the problem.
i am in pakistan and there is no such course over here.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:07 am

I don't know the legalities of Pakistan at all, so I'm sorry I can't help you there. You would have to look that up on your own and make sure you'd be in the clear legality-wise.

That being said, big cats require a LOT of money to care for, and a lot of prior experience. You can "work up" to owning a leopard though. Start with a smaller cat--like a serval or caracal. They will be a challenge enough. Once you really learn to read their body language and after a couple of years, move a "step" higher and maybe go for the leopard.

I have heard that of all the big cats tigers are the most predictable (aside from cougars and cheetahs). I don't even know if a leopard would even be a good "first time" big cat for an experienced exotic cat owner.

They require a lot of space--so you have to build an escape-proof enclosure (very expensive). You will also have to feed them a LOT of meat... almost every single day. Where will you get the meat? How will you buy it? It is very expensive to feed them, and they require whole prey diets.

Anyway, these are all questions to take in and think about. This is not a purchase to be made lightly. Unless you are experienced, I personally would definitely not do it until you are ready (experienced), and financially stable.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Unknown93

Postby Unknown93 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:48 am

well,i am not really interested in them(caracals and servals)
oh i know exactly how much it costs to care for one.
a lot of people keep cheetahs,lions and tigers as pets over here.
anyway,the problem im facing is what to feed a leopard cub cause heard that cow milk is bad for them and so is baby formula.
so,the housing and care i can afford but i can't find anything on the net on what exactly to feed a leopard cub.
so it would be helpful if someone could give me info on that.

oh,i forgot one more thing,
i have seen that arabs train pet cheetahs to hunt gazelle for them,so i was wondering if i could do the same with a leopard.
and here is a video of an arab guy hunting with a cheetah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPLMVcTozU
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:32 pm

I'm pretty sure they use cat milk replacer for all the big cats.http://www.2ndchance.info/Ocelot.htm

Though I also just found this http://www.zoogro.com/wildcatgro/
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:51 pm

I am glad you can afford to care for one. :) The links Tamanduagirl provided should help. If you're dead-set on a leopard, I wish you good luck. Cheetahs have been semi-domesticated by humans throughout time, so it would probably be much easier hunting with a cheetah. A leopard would probably be not as easy to teach, but I'm no expert there. I personally wouldn't risk it with a pet, but I'm not in your shoes.

Keep in touch with us. If you get your little leopard baby, we would love to hear about your experiences--how it grows up, what it's like, etc. The big cat owners on here don't post as regularly anymore, so we don't get updates as often as we'd like. So if you do get your leopard baby be sure to tell us all about him/her! :icon-wink:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Unknown93

Postby Unknown93 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:18 pm

i know cheetahs have been semi domesticated but they are very endangered coupled with the fact that its really hard to breed them,so a leopard would probably be better.
also,i was wondering,if i teach a leopard to hunt for me then do you think the leopard will teach its cubs to hunt for me as well?
also,thanks for the links they really helped.
Unknown93

Postby Unknown93 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:36 pm

oh and a bit off topic but suppose if i wanted to take my leopard to another country like say japan,what would i have to do?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:58 pm

It's pretty much impossible to travel with exotic pets. Especially big ones or rare ones.
Unknown93

Postby Unknown93 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Really?cause i read an article that westerners also buy big cats from pakistan.
so how do they do it?,as in taking the animal back to their home country?
also,is it not possible to get a wild animal permit from the country's embassy?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:53 pm

Unknown93 wrote:Really?cause i read an article that westerners also buy big cats from pakistan.
so how do they do it?,as in taking the animal back to their home country?
also,is it not possible to get a wild animal permit from the country's embassy?

That must have been in the past, because that is definitely not legal now. Those animals are highly regulated by international trade. ALL of those animals in the US are captive-bred and NONE are imported.

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”