PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

"Mountain Lion Sighting"

Tiger, lion, cougar, leopard, anything cheetah size or larger

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FoxAdorer817

"Mountain Lion Sighting"

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:37 am

I keep hearing on the news about mountain lion sighting (in Ohio) - but no one has actually seen it, no one has any pictures of it...so I personally really do not think it's a cougar (just using the shorter word), and maybe like a larger coyote or something? But I don't get why they would make that assumption if no one has actually seen it, though they're blaming it for their missing dogs and such...
Just wondering if anyone knew anything about it?

Perhaps someone did actually see it originally, just not recently, because they assume it's an escaped pet that is tame (though still shouldn't be approached), soo... yeah. Just seeing if others heard of this. :)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
Amy09

Re: "Mountain Lion Sighting"

Postby Amy09 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:24 am

Generally, at least around here(Central Oregon Coast), sightings are made by fish and wildlife people, or hunters and farmers, etc. Just because there aren't pictures doesn't mean there isn't one and if you ever seen one in real life you'll find its rather difficult to mistake them for coyotes.

Also, again at least around here, when dogs go missing in rural areas its usually because they're chasing after something. Cougars, bears, bobcats are all things a 'good dog' should protect his people from. Then he runs off and gets in a fight and gets killed.

Generally I assume sightings like this are true. If there is a cougar reported by a civilian the DFW people usually try to confirm it, since a large predator that close to populated areas is kind of a big deal. If it were just a coyote I doubt you'd have even heard anything about it. I've seen both coyotes and cougars in the wild and I highly doubt I could ever mistake one for the other.

If you're still doubting it, then you should call your local DFW and ask them. Since it's part of their job they should be more than willing to let you know if it's true or not, and what areas it was sighted in.
Mommy to two dogs and three cats
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:40 am

if you ever seen one in real life you'll find its rather difficult to mistake them for coyotes

That's very true, but don't doubt the power of drunk people and their imagination. If the report was made by someone who was drunk and it was dark out, you never know what they were actually seeing. Think of all the 'wild black panther' sightings all over the country. We get those even in KY and there's never been a black leopard loose in kentucky, that I know of.

But still, I do have to agree, no sober person will mistake a coyote for a mountain lion. Mountain lions have a tail nearly as long as their body and a male can weigh up to 160 lbs. The average weight of a coyote is 20-40 lbs.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:44 am

It is probably not true. Around here this happens alot. We do not have mountain lions here (at least not yet) so it is always never true unlike in other states.
We are animal people so we do know, but generally people are clueless. I have had people ask me what breed of DOG my goat was!

Here is a story about how uneducated people are on what wildlife looks like.
Someone kept posting on another message board (exotic cats) how they have a leopard in their back yard. swore it was huge, swore it was a wild cat. They finally got a picture of the "leopard" clearly a domestic cats, and not even a very big one.
Here is the actual picture:

sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 am

Wow, seriously? My house cat looks more wild than that, and she doesn't have anything wild in her (although her temperament could argue otherwise).
People are clueless.
Amy09

Postby Amy09 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 pm

I guess you're right, people who don't know (or are drunk) seem to have problems identifying things.

I have had people ask me what breed of DOG my goat was!

This made me laugh. I grew up with goats so it seems kind of preposterous to me, but then again if you lived in the city your whole life there's a possibility you have no idea what a goat looks like.
dave c

Postby dave c » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Yea I get that What breed of dog is that? I say syrian when I'm walking my bear.lol Just too funny
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:52 pm

:lol: On the opposite end of things, I've seen people mistake Newfoundlands for bears. They're always shocked when they hear it's just a big pooch. lol
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:25 pm

Our wallabies got called all kinds of things, including muskrats. Then there was the one lady who felt so sorry for our llama, he had to be so lonely on account of his being born with only one head.(Pushmi-Pullyu from the old Dr Doolittle). At least her friends were laughing at her but she swore she wasn't drunk and was serious. Most people just felt bad that the llama had no legs, due to the way they lay with them folded under.

And sort of on topic the number of people that will run from a chicken in terror is astonishing. Mind you the chicken isn't doing anything.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:05 pm

I will run away from a belligerent turkey any day! I've gotten bruises the size of golf balls from them.
Chickens? Not so much.

I know countless people who are totally convinced that bobcats are called "wildcats" thanks to college basketball. If you try to correct them, they'll get angry enough to take a swing at you.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Oh my gosh, that "leopard" picture is seriously the funniest thing ever!! :monk-dev:
Amy09

Postby Amy09 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:28 pm

I was mauled by a rooster when I was little so I have more reason to be afraid of chickens than most. Mind you, I'm not afraid of them at all now, so I can't fathom why someone who has no reason to be afraid of them would run in terror from something so goofy looking as a chicken.

And the llama thing just cracks me up. I know some people might be clueless, but to think that a two headed llama is real is just sort of baffling and hilarious all at once.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:31 pm

The only identification I've ever come across personally is someone asking if my mice were rats. But that's understandable if you don't know rats and mice. :lol:
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:44 am

You wouldn't believe how many times I have been asked why I cut off my bobcats' tails. I have also known two people now that people have asked what kind of dog their cougars were.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:21 am

You wouldn't believe how many times I have been asked why I cut off my bobcats' tails.

I get that one a lot too! My cat was born with a short little tail.

My favorite, I have to say, is when someone saw my sable & white collie and asked me why my greyhound had so much hair.

Return to “Large Exotic Cats”